Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've been on the Do-Not-Call list almost since its inception.

About a month ago I started receiving phone calls from Life Alert telling me they want to schedule the shipping of my product. The first time I just said I didn't order it and hung up on them.

The next time they called I realized that they had said the product was paid for and the light bulb went off over my head that they probably meant I had to pay shipping. So I told them I wasn't going to pay shipping and hung up on them.

They called again...I hung up again.

Finally after the fourth call, I filed a report on the Do-Not-Call web site.

Well, guess what, folks...I just now got another call from them. It's always the same guy - John, in Shipping. When I tried to talk over him he said maybe a friend or relative had bought the product for me. I told him I live in a cave and don't have any friends or relatives. And I hung up on him and filed yet another report.

The first few calls were made from a phone in the 209 (California) area code, but this last one came from the 213 (California) area code. When I called the numbers back I get a recording that my call can't be completed as dialled.

I'm starting to doubt my self. Could someone have bought this product for me? It's not a one time payment...its a monthly thing. If memory serves, it's $30 a month. I don't have a friend or relative who can afford such a cost.

If I don't have to pay for the product, and the shipping is paid also, what is the company getting from scamming me? I never get to the scheduling part of the phone call, so I guess I'd have to give my address, which I won't do...but there are plenty of ways people can get your address, aren't there?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My parents have been getting that same call for about two months now. I just got my first call today. I didn't have time to call, but I am going to call the FTC and see if they have a report of a scam with them or someone similar. They talk like you have the item coming and it's already paid for. They want to set up an appointment to come to your house to install and instruct. I was shocked to see this thread. I wonder just how wide spread it is.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Ive read about it. Its some sort of scam.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, btw, I couldn't get the guy to shut up, it didn't sound like a recording, but he wouldn't let me talk, so I hung up. On previous scam calls I had gotten from a Rachael and credit cards, I had been working with the FTC and they said that most of the USA scams are out of California area codes. Someone did not buy this for you. It's some kind of scam, I just haven't figured it out yet, as they keep wanting to come to my parents house to set it up.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Probably a scam for the people who generally use Life alert. Scams are abundant for the elderly.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
It could be a scam but all of the scams I am seeing reported involve Robocallers. To be honesty what's throwing me off is that you didn't mention an off shore caller.
If they call back ask them for their call back information, physical address, and the customer service persons name.
You should renew your dnc status every three years.
If you get me that information I can find out if they violated your privacy rights and you should pursue retribution.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here is a warning from the real first alert
http://firstalert.com/customerscamalert

They are usually impossible to find. They use random numbers to call from that are usually change quit often. I had been going through the Rachael scam calls for over a year. They were being investigated, but could never be found. They just change numbers, and now it's Jessica instead of Rachael. The Feds must already know about this scam and just can't find a viable location, number or business/person to be able to bust anyone. Best thing to do is to get the number they called from. Call, the FTC at 877-382-4357 and report to them every single call you get.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Life alert isn't something you just buy for someone without mentioning... It's a monthly service, and I'm sure someone would have mentioned if they paid for 6mo or a year of this service! Smells like a big SCAM to me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My Mom has life alert and she lives right next door to me. I installed it for her so nobody needs to come to your house to install it, you could do it yourself. My sister got this for her so Im not sure of the monthly cost. You can give them my address and I would be more than happy to talk to them when they show up. My mom gets all kinds of weird calls and hangs up on most of them. I would be willing to meet these people and Im serious

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My reckoning tells me, once you except shipment, you except responsibility for the monthly service fee. That's what I'm figuring on the front porch.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just noticed I posted about First Alert scam. There is also Life Alert that Yvonne mentioned. They both have scams going around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just did a GOOGLE search for "Life Alert Scam" and found out that if you listen closely the guy tells you someone has purchased a product "like" Life Alert. According to the info on my search, you end up having to pay over a hundred $$ a month. So I guess reporting it to the Do-Not-Call people really won't do any good.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: The Do-Not-Call list

Yvonne G said:
I just did a GOOGLE search for "Life Alert Scam" and found out that if you listen closely the guy tells you someone has purchased a product "like" Life Alert. According to the info on my search, you end up having to pay over a hundred $$ a month. So I guess reporting it to the Do-Not-Call people really won't do any good.

No but if they call back do try to get information from them. If you get them to be dumb enough to give it you I can reward them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.