Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My female came to me as a rescue about 18 years ago. She was a long term captive, but wild caught. The male came here about 6 or 8 years ago as a wild caught, and I think I am his first keeper.

In this picture you can see the difference in shell shape, however, I really don't think it plays a part in sexing them. I think his flared carapace is maybe nutritional. The female is more oval shaped, and the male is more triangular. (female on left):

10-16-11Mee-1.jpg

Note the gular difference in this next picture. The shape is the same, however the male's sticks out further:

10-16-11Mee-2.jpg

Here you can see the bigger tail on the male, the fact that he's starting to concave and the shape of the anal scutes. It would be hard to tell male from female if you didn't have both sexes side by side. The male's anal scutes are almost straight across. And the anal/femoral scute seam is straight in both sexes, however the male's is indented at the edge, while the female's isn't:

10-16-11Mee-3.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice post. I haven't seen too many adults before. Thank you.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Nice shots Yvonne .
Now i will know what to look for in my 2 babies once they get older:)
Had them outside for first time today.
They really enjoyed running around that 5' x6' area i sectioned off in the redfoot pen.
Mike D.

Status
Not open for further replies.