The Book of Om: Or, Adventures in Tortoise Keeping, New Zealand edition

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
Sorry to burst your bubble, It's a dump now.. I feel very fortunate that i was able to come here for my childrens sake. There is only one thing i miss and that's football, but really that is it :)
Ah, well, yeah, I guess it's a good county for kids. I just fancy somewhere cooler (weather wise) and with buildings that are more than 150 years old and where tea is treated with the respect it deserves :D

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
image.jpeg

"But I don't WANT a bath, peasant!!!!!"
Om semi-emerged from the burrow this afternoon so I plonked him in the food bowl. He turned his beak up at it again but went for a bit of a wander round and found the 2nd burrow. Progress!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Sorry to burst your bubble, It's a dump now.. I feel very fortunate that i was able to come here for my childrens sake. There is only one thing i miss and that's football, but really that is it :)
Oh, that's a bummer. I had no idea. :eek: If the airplane ride from the U.S. wasn't so long (and mostly likely too expensive) I don't see why a trip to New Zealand couldn't be in the near future! :D
View attachment 168458

"But I don't WANT a bath, peasant!!!!!"
Om semi-emerged from the burrow this afternoon so I plonked him in the food bowl. He turned his beak up at it again but went for a bit of a wander round and found the 2nd burrow. Progress!
My Russian is definitely not a fan of bath time either!

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
:DHaving a celebratory beer right now!
I had to dig Om out again this afternoon - took a while to find him too! But I got him to start eating and he even let me hand feed him! (I Moved his bowls to be near one of the burrows so he might feel safer and it seemed to work.) So far he is ignoring anything that isn't green, but I'm sure he'll get around to trying dandelions and rose petals eventually. Also he is peeing and pooping in his bath, even though he isn't at all keen on the process.

My one concern is that sometimes he bobs his head up and down and twitches his front legs as he breathes. It makes it look like his breathing is laboured. I can't hear any noises from him, but then I'm a bit deaf. Is that kind of thing normal?

image.jpeg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
What a super cutie! I just love him already! :<3::<3::<3:
My one concern is that sometimes he bobs his head up and down and twitches his front legs as he breathes. It makes it look like his breathing is laboured. I can't hear any noises from him, but then I'm a bit deaf. Is that kind of thing normal?
Yes, not to worry, this is how torts breathe. ;)

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
image.jpeg
What a super cutie! I just love him already! :<3::<3::<3:
Yes, not to worry, this is how torts breathe. ;)

Phew, that's a relief, thanks!
He's totally getting stuck into his food tonight and came out of his own accord! Still won't eat anything that's not green, not even dandelions, but I feel like progress is happening. Watching him wrestle with and subdue a chunk of leaf Is super cute :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
View attachment 168707

Phew, that's a relief, thanks!
He's totally getting stuck into his food tonight and came out of his own accord! Still won't eat anything that's not green, not even dandelions, but I feel like progress is happening. Watching him wrestle with and subdue a chunk of leaf Is super cute :)
That's awesome! I love watching my tort while he's munching too. He just loves dandelions. I'm sure Om will come around to them someday! As long as you keep offering him a variety of greens, he's bound to try everything eventually. Once he's hungry enough too, he'll definitely stop being so picky. :)

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html

A bit old but an interesting link about the actual heat output from various types and wattages of bulb. You can see how few of them actually hit the recommended basking temp of 95F - most are WAY over after only 10 minutes, which is the problem I've been having. My latest fix was to buy a clip on lamp from Bunnings. However these can't take a bulb higher than 40 watts, and the one that is in there is putting out barely any heat at all. So, thus far I have tried a 60 watt spot, a 75 watt standard (both way too hot) and now the 40 watt which seems not hot enough. I never thought a basking lamp would prove to be such a big issue! I'm sick of buying bulbs though, especially as I can't use them anywhere else in the house. Time to call in @Tom to tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
Um, I'd rather not, I did an Internet search about putting a higher wattage bulb in and...well, I'd prefer not to start an electrical fire! A 40 watt spot might be the next option to try. So far Om hasn't shown any inclination to hang out in the basking area anyway so I've got time to play around still.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html

A bit old but an interesting link about the actual heat output from various types and wattages of bulb. You can see how few of them actually hit the recommended basking temp of 95F - most are WAY over after only 10 minutes, which is the problem I've been having. My latest fix was to buy a clip on lamp from Bunnings. However these can't take a bulb higher than 40 watts, and the one that is in there is putting out barely any heat at all. So, thus far I have tried a 60 watt spot, a 75 watt standard (both way too hot) and now the 40 watt which seems not hot enough. I never thought a basking lamp would prove to be such a big issue! I'm sick of buying bulbs though, especially as I can't use them anywhere else in the house. Time to call in @Tom to tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

There are basically three ways to adjust the basking temperature.
1. Use a different wattage bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store.
2. Adjust the height of the fixture.
3. Use an inline rheostat.

I don't know what stores you have over there, but over here we have large corporate hardware stores. I get my fixtures and bulbs from one called Home Depot. They look like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Designers-Edge-10-1-2-in-Brooder-Lamp-with-Hang-Hook-0165/204667675
I take the little metal guard wire things off and I hang the fixtures from over head.

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
There are basically three ways to adjust the basking temperature.
1. Use a different wattage bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store.
2. Adjust the height of the fixture.
3. Use an inline rheostat.

I don't know what stores you have over there, but over here we have large corporate hardware stores. I get my fixtures and bulbs from one called Home Depot. They look like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Designers-Edge-10-1-2-in-Brooder-Lamp-with-Hang-Hook-0165/204667675
I take the little metal guard wire things off and I hang the fixtures from over head.
Hmmm, no, haven't seen those at our hardware stores, I think I found something similar online but it was $70. As @Neil fuller says I do have one of these http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/trixie-porcelain-bulb-holder-up-to-250w/m/2720/ , the issue with that is that you can't really put a shade over it (though I suppose I can make one from tinfoil and tape),and it's hard on the eyes without one. Also I've tried 2 bulbs in that so far and they were both way too hot after half an hour or so, even having the fitting sitting up as high as I can get it.