The Book of Om: Or, Adventures in Tortoise Keeping, New Zealand edition

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Looks like it's really coming together! Way to go! I'd have trouble transplanting plants indoors, so I feel your frustration!

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
OH. MY. GOSH. it has just been confirmed that we are going to pick up my tortoise after work TOMORROW!!! (Wednesday.) Unfortunately I do have to work on Thurs, but after that I have Easter and the whole of next week off to help the baby settle in and keep an eye on it. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

fanboy prince screaming.gif

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
IMG_6511.jpg

ALL MUST BOW BEFORE THE MIGHTY OM!

We haven't really had a chance to get acquainted yet, by the end of the 2 hour drive home s/he was crashed out. A brief bath and a very quick wander around in the emclosure before locating one of the hides and going straight in for a sleep. And today I'm at work, which sucks.
The shop got all the babies out for me to look at and the assistant picked out the two that liked having their heads rubbed, so obviously I picked one of those!
I suspect there might be a bit of a battle over food initially as they were eating mesclun and not much else by the sounds, but I shall try to gather a range of options when I get home and see if Om can be tempted. Today is going to be so looooooong!

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
Well. When I got home Om had eaten the bits of aloe Vera and ignored everything else. I excavated him from the deep burrow he'd made and gave him a bath, then I presented him with a plate of plantain, clover, dandelion flowers and a segment of Christmas cactus. He showed his opinion of that by pooping in it and then went back to his burrow. I don't think he's very impressed with me so far!

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
Well. When I got home Om had eaten the bits of aloe Vera and ignored everything else. I excavated him from the deep burrow he'd made and gave him a bath, then I presented him with a plate of plantain, clover, dandelion flowers and a segment of Christmas cactus. He showed his opinion of that by pooping in it and then went back to his burrow. I don't think he's very impressed with me so far!
Now you know who's in charge!!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Awww, sounds like Om is still settling in. He is a very cute tortie! I'm sure he'll open up shortly and soon you'll be the best of friends! :D

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
Now you know who's in charge!!!
Apparently! S/he is used to being fed in the morning, which doesn't work for me, but Om is getting around that by letting the food sit there overnight and eating it during the day. Still, very early days! I'm on leave now so I can devote proper attention to the battle of wills :D and to getting the basking light right. The Warehouse didn't have any clip on lamps when I went there. I've resurrected a bedside lamp from downstairs but it only has a 40 watt bulb which doesn't seem to get hot enough, and of course everything is closed today for Easter.

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
Apparently! S/he is used to being fed in the morning, which doesn't work for me, but Om is getting around that by letting the food sit there overnight and eating it during the day. Still, very early days! I'm on leave now so I can devote proper attention to the battle of wills :D and to getting the basking light right. The Warehouse didn't have any clip on lamps when I went there. I've resurrected a bedside lamp from downstairs but it only has a 40 watt bulb which doesn't seem to get hot enough, and of course everything is closed today for Easter.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/c...-Study-Desk-Lamp-Clamp-Black-35cm?SKU=1507668
Also available at Bunnings.
http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/shop/Seeds+for+Sprouting/Organic+Florentine+Blend-2.html

That's the light that i used with a 70w bulb, never had a problem with them before and they're cheap as :)
Also check out kings plants, i found these sprouting seeds, all i do is throw them in to Georgie's pen and let them grow. They don't usually get more than a few centimetres before she's scoffed them up while she's wandering around. They grow real quick and i like that she walks past some then backtracks to have a nibble, i just chuck a bunch of seeds every week and then we have a constant grow :)

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/c...-Study-Desk-Lamp-Clamp-Black-35cm?SKU=1507668
Also available at Bunnings.
http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/shop/Seeds+for+Sprouting/Organic+Florentine+Blend-2.html

That's the light that i used with a 70w bulb, never had a problem with them before and they're cheap as :)
Also check out kings plants, i found these sprouting seeds, all i do is throw them in to Georgie's pen and let them grow. They don't usually get more than a few centimetres before she's scoffed them up while she's wandering around. They grow real quick and i like that she walks past some then backtracks to have a nibble, i just chuck a bunch of seeds every week and then we have a constant grow :)

That's the exact lamp I went to buy, but there weren't any. I'll see if can get to Bunnings next time they're open. Bit limited at the moment due to Easter and the fact that I don't drive and the Mr/aka chauffeur is planning to go away on his boat for a few days.

The seed mix looks interesting! Not sure about the broccoli though, that's on the do not feed list at the Tortoise Table plant database. Because I've got a coco coir substrate its sterile and I'm not sure seeds would sprout in it, but I might give it a try!

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
That's the exact lamp I went to buy, but there weren't any. I'll see if can get to Bunnings next time they're open. Bit limited at the moment due to Easter and the fact that I don't drive and the Mr/aka chauffeur is planning to go away on his boat for a few days.

The seed mix looks interesting! Not sure about the broccoli though, that's on the do not feed list at the Tortoise Table plant database. Because I've got a coco coir substrate its sterile and I'm not sure seeds would sprout in it, but I might give it a try!

They'll sprout for sure, coco is what mine is in also.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
There's a store called Bunnings? Every few days, I learn something new about New Zealand! :)