The Book of Om: Or, Adventures in Tortoise Keeping, New Zealand edition

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
I had to euthanase my mouse a couple of months ago and have lost 2 bettas and a snail in the last year, plus i rehomed my axolotl, so this is the fewest pets I've had in a long time, which I think the Bloke is glad about. He doesn't seem to mind the idea of a tortoise - I reckon he's hoping it will keep the grass mowed for him, but I don't think he quite understands how small the tort will be!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Aww I send my sincere regards to you as well, @Stitchpunk. I'm sure more animals will find their way into your heart and home again soon. ;D HUGS!

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
Sorry about the pets:(
Thanks, me too. Especially Rory, my mouse. "Euthanise"is a polite term for what I actually did with a shovel and still feel awful about. But he was pretty sick and it's a long drive to the vet. Seemed kinder not to put him through the additional stress. Which reminds me, I must check if the place I get the pet insurance for the cats from will cover tortoises......!

Why oh why must April be so far away? In fact the reptile park has a few 1 yo tortoises available right now, but really I do need to some time to prepare and I don't want to miss out on having a really tiny baby, even though caring for it is bound to cause anxiety.

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how New Zealand $ equate to U.S. $, but in U.S. $ that's an awful lot of money. Here that baby would be bout $100.

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
I don't know how New Zealand $ equate to U.S. $, but in U.S. $ that's an awful lot of money. Here that baby would be bout $100.
It's about US$550. Yes, they are very expensive here - it's the rarity factor. Leopard geckos and bearded dragons used to go for similar prices a few years ago, but now that there are more breeders here prices have dropped. so I need to look after my baby really well!

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
*snort* I'm in the lounge browsing the forum and a woman on the tv said "pies, sandwiches and cakes" and I thought "that's not a good diet for a tortoise!" (The Bloke is watching some show about the history of rail in NZ, I guess it must've been about the catering.)

I think I have tortoises on the brain...

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
well, I've been checking temps and humidity for a couple of days. So far humidity has been between 66 and 74% and temps have ranged from 68F to 84F. So I'm already thinking that an enclosed habitat will be best for climate stability, even though I may not need actual heating during the height of summer days, and humidity should be ok'ish at any time.
So, what kind of enclosure? My head says to go the inexpensive but ugly plastic tub route, though that makes lighting attachments slightly trickier. My heart says to find an old wooden china cabinet with sliding glass doors, where we can make holes in the top for lighting and use existing shelving to create an extra level. What to do, what to do...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I love doing woodwork. I'd have that for a job instead of sitting in a cubicle all day if it paid better! ;D

Stitchpunk

Auckland New Zealand
I love doing woodwork. I'd have that for a job instead of sitting in a cubicle all day if it paid better! ;D
I, otoh, did one year of woodwork in high school and was so bad at it that the teacher ended up letting me glue everything coz I couldn't hammer a nail in straight to save myself! Luckily I can call on the Bloke for assistance, so long as I'm not super demanding...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I, otoh, did one year of woodwork in high school and was so bad at it that the teacher ended up letting me glue everything coz I couldn't hammer a nail in straight to save myself! Luckily I can call on the Bloke for assistance, so long as I'm not super demanding...
Well, you gave it a good shot! ;) I can't say I have much skill in woodworking but it's much more satisfying work than sitting in front of a computer screen. Unless I'm looking at cute tortoise photos!!

Prairie Mom

well, I've been checking temps and humidity for a couple of days. So far humidity has been between 66 and 74% and temps have ranged from 68F to 84F. So I'm already thinking that an enclosed habitat will be best for climate stability, even though I may not need actual heating during the height of summer days, and humidity should be ok'ish at any time.
So, what kind of enclosure? My head says to go the inexpensive but ugly plastic tub route, though that makes lighting attachments slightly trickier. My heart says to find an old wooden china cabinet with sliding glass doors, where we can make holes in the top for lighting and use existing shelving to create an extra level. What to do, what to do...
Take a look at a post I made recently for the tub set up I use when I take my tortoise on road trips. -Maybe it will give you some ideas as to lamps etc...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/car-travel-set-up.134511/