The best housing - have I bought the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiebyrne

5 Year Member
Hi all

I am a first time tortoise owner. We have just bout a 4 year old Horsfield Tortoise. The shop we bought them from told us we were best to buy a glass vivarium and chip bark for the base of it. He also has a water bowl and UV light and standard light bulb - all of which came as a package.

I have since read that it is better to use top soil or hemp/oyster shell??

I have also heard that it is better to use an outdoor run for him in the warmer weather that we unfortunately don't get a lot of! I will be getting one of these though as we get closer to the summer.

Also, how often are they to be bathed?

Can anyone clear this up for me? I just want to provide the very best home for my little man :)

Thanks so much

Kate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kate!

I doubt an aquarium will be big enough to house a Russian tortoise. They require a lot of room. Your tortoise is going to be scratching and digging at the sides constantly...enough to drive you crazy.

katiebyrne

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

I doubt an aquarium will be big enough to house a Russian tortoise. They require a lot of room. Your tortoise is going to be scratching and digging at the sides constantly...enough to drive you crazy.

The one we have is around 6" x 4" - is that not big enough? Thank you!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You would be better off building something.. like a bookcase layed on its back... search for threads on that..
NO coil bulbs, start reading the threads about heating, diet and housing for russians and start asking questions.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I house Eloise (my RT) in a 54 gal rubbermaid tote with an 18inch Zilla UVB tube light stretched the length of the tote and a 100 watt (it's cold in Utah) basking bulb on one end and a 50 watt bulb (this is set much higher than my basking light and helps keep the enclosure warm for winter I think it will not be neccessary in summer temps) at the other....my daytime temps range from 90-100 on the hot end and on the cooler side I'm ranging 72-85...I use Coco coir and sand 50/50 mix for the substrate (petstore sold me retibark originally it gets stuck in the tort between the head shell and front legs) I use a stone paver for a feeding rock and a terra cotta saucer for a water dish and a flower pot tipped over and filled half way with substrate for a hide..I want to add plants but I am waiting to grom my own pesticide and herbicide free plants....this summer I will use a kiddie pool for an outdoor place but she will be an inside tort for the most part... I will post a pic of my indoor set up for you shortly.

Eloise said:
I house Eloise (my RT) in a 54 gal rubbermaid tote with an 18inch Zilla UVB tube light stretched the length of the tote and a 100 watt (it's cold in Utah) basking bulb on one end and a 50 watt bulb (this is set much higher than my basking light and helps keep the enclosure warm for winter I think it will not be neccessary in summer temps) at the other....my daytime temps range from 90-100 on the hot end and on the cooler side I'm ranging 72-85...I use Coco coir and sand 50/50 mix for the substrate (petstore sold me retibark originally it gets stuck in the tort between the head shell and front legs) I use a stone paver for a feeding rock and a terra cotta saucer for a water dish and a flower pot tipped over and filled half way with substrate for a hide..I want to add plants but I am waiting to grom my own pesticide and herbicide free plants....this summer I will use a kiddie pool for an outdoor place but she will be an inside tort for the most part... I will post a pic of my indoor set up for you shortly.

This pic ifrom before I got my UVB light but that runs along the wall side.

Attachments

• set up.jpg
    set up.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 66

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
katiebyrne said:
emysemys said:

The one we have is around 6" x 4" - is that not big enough? Thank you!

Does this mean 6 feet by 4 feet? If so then that is big enough. Just make it interesting with some potted plants and places to hide.

Outdoors is best for them whenever the weather permits. Make sure your enclosure is escape proof as they are masters of climbing, digging and escaping.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, if you mean 6 feet by 4 feet, that is fine for an inside enclosure. Chip bark can be dry, you might mix in some topsoil to hold more moisture.
Even torts from 'dry' areas can still dig down into more moist burrows.

Soak your tortoise daily for a week in shallow warm water for 15" (remove cool water and add more warm water if needed to keep it from cooling off). Do this daily for a week then 2-3x per week.

Most tortoises need warmth for basking, and UV/light. What kind of lighting do you have?

That said, what kind of tortoise do you have :tort: ? Can you post pics? That can help us provide more specifics. Also a bit more about the general area of the world you live, so we know more about your weather, because even part time outside is ideal.

And welcome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.