The Adventures of Littlefoot! (Pic Heavy)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hey guys. :D

I have had my Eastern Hermann's hatchling, Littlefoot, for 5 days now, and a brand spankin' new super awesome camera for 4 days now...which means I've taken a LOOOOOOT of pictures the last few days. I just thought I would start a general thread for Littlefoot to show off his adorable little self, post about his adventures and shenanigans and general well-being, and maybe ask a question or two along the way. :tort:

I just love this little guy. Enjoy! :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
What an appetite! Littlefoot is just too adorable, especially in the second picture. <3 Keep us updated on this little cutey.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
peasinapod said:
What an appetite! Littlefoot is just too adorable, especially in the second picture. <3 Keep us updated on this little cutey.

Ha! I just love the eating shots. They're so cute with their big ol' dinosaur mouths and their little chompy bites. :D Plus, his food is kinda pretty and colorful. :p

He loves his greens and pumpkin and has nibbled a little on the pansies. He's ignored everything else (tomato, cucumber, repashy). I mush up his mazuri and then mix it with just a little canned 100% organic, pure pumpkin...it's his favorite, and he hasn't eaten the mazuri otherwise, even mixed in with the greens. We're having much better luck with that...hopefully I can wean him onto regular Mazuri soon. :)

And thanks! He's quite the character. I'm so in love. I'll definitely be updating often! :)

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I love how they can make a huge mess on their face while eating and then try to wipe it away with their legs. Whenever I see something like that I just go: Awwww!
What kind of camera did you get?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
peasinapod said:
I love how they can make a huge mess on their face while eating and then try to wipe it away with their legs. Whenever I see something like that I just go: Awwww!

OMG ME TOO! Haha.

I got this camera: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7N9CWG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 I'm thrilled with it so far. Its closeup shots are amazing, though it hasn't been the best with action shots yet (I think I need to try a different mode for that). I'm not a huge photography buff, but I wanted to be able to take some nice pictures on an easy to use, quality camera...this one definitely fit the bill. And it was only $225! :D

I'm making a scrapbook for Littlefoot, to chronicle him growing up, kinda like a baby book...shell tracings, weight/measurements, favorite foods, etc...and of course pictures. I figured it would be really cool for when I have kids and grandkids for them to be able to see that the big old tortoise used to be a little guy...help them appreciate him as a life-long friend, you know? 'Specially since he'll probably be handed down at some point. :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Phenomenal!
Littlefoot is darling and lucky to have a keeper like you, Jessica. The habitat looks awesome. Pansies. Happy. And your pictures are fabulous. Love-love-love. What's not to love?
Updates will be fun to see/read. Yay!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Boy, those are GREAT close ups, and a CUTE baby! You're doing WELL!!:D

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Awww, thanks guys! That really means a lot. :) I'm always so nervous I'll mess up. :rolleyes:

He LOVES those pansies, BeeBee. They're near his light, and between the warmth and plethora of hiding choices, he spends most of his days there, in the moss and under the stems and diggin in the dirt. He liked climbing in the pot by them (I was gonna plant something, but didn't so it was just empty), but he he fell and flipped once, so I put it on its side and made it a hide and he likes that too. He nibbles on the flowers now and then as a little snack when I am slow getting him his breakfast. :) They were a spur of the moment decision...we were at Lowe's getting something for his enclosure during setup, and they were out front for $1.50 for a huge plant...figured, why not?! So glad we did. He LURVS em. :D

Speaking of being slow on his breakfast, I'm being slow on his breakfast right now. He's probably like "What the heck, Mom. Get off TFO and FEED ME." I should go do that. :p

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
StarSapphire22 said:
peasinapod said:

OMG ME TOO! Haha.

I got this camera: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7N9CWG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 I'm thrilled with it so far. Its closeup shots are amazing, though it hasn't been the best with action shots yet (I think I need to try a different mode for that). I'm not a huge photography buff, but I wanted to be able to take some nice pictures on an easy to use, quality camera...this one definitely fit the bill. And it was only $225! :D

I'm making a scrapbook for Littlefoot, to chronicle him growing up, kinda like a baby book...shell tracings, weight/measurements, favorite foods, etc...and of course pictures. I figured it would be really cool for when I have kids and grandkids for them to be able to see that the big old tortoise used to be a little guy...help them appreciate him as a life-long friend, you know? 'Specially since he'll probably be handed down at some point. :)

I love the idea of the baby-book! Definitely a thing worth pursuing. :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That's a great idea, the baby book. And the pics are book worthy. They really are lovely.

Pansies are awesome. BUT, I will say I worry that they are from a big box, like Lowe's. I know that many large growers use fertilizers and in some cases systematic fertilizers. Tom, who is a wealth on information, shared on another thread that his friend in the nursery industry told him that they are using systematic pesticides that may stay active for a year. What? WTF? Well, I see why. To be sure the plants are nice enough to sell for longer periods of time.

Sooooooo, to be safe, grow your own or maybe buy them from a local farmer or someone who is small family nursery, where they may not be going to the trouble of making sure the plants hold up for a long time. I know these are annuals and hopefully the big companies are not bothering on spending money on them, since they are short season generally, that may be it is just perennials and trees, but I over-worry because babies are fragile.

Johnny Jump Ups are pretty easy to grow from seed. So consider that for the future. Heck, once they get going Johnny Jump Ups reseed themselves. And yes edible, and lovely on people salads or made as candy!

Here is a fun little farm talking about them, and a few more flowers that are easy peasy to grow and edible for tortoises and people, too: http://www.harleyfarms.com/flowers.php?id=152

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Very cute!! I love the missing scute towards the back of this shell - neat pattern!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I removed all dirt from the root systems, and thoroughly rinsed the plant itself for a good 10 minutes or so...then planted in organic potting soil. Hopefully any fertilizer in them is pretty minimal after all that. I wanted to do seeds, but couldn't find any around where I live and could only order tens of thousands of seeds at a time online....I figured I would start from seeds once I build his permanent enclosure. :)

Thanks Pokeymeg! I love it too...makes him unique, I think. :D

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So thanks to my work having not a lot of hours to give lately and a bout of food poisoning, I've had the last 6 days off. It's been great helping Littlefoot get settled in and having some quiet time. Today I go back to work though. I'm nervous leaving him home alone for a long period of time...it's the first time we've left him alone for more than a couple hours. What if he flips? What if his bulb decides to heat up to a zillion degrees? He still hasn't figured out his water dish...what if he's thirsty? I'm sure he will do just fine, but I'm nervous all the same. :(

I love that little peanut.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
StarSapphire22 said:
So thanks to my work having not a lot of hours to give lately and a bout of food poisoning, I've had the last 6 days off. It's been great helping Littlefoot get settled in and having some quiet time. Today I go back to work though. I'm nervous leaving him home alone for a long period of time...it's the first time we've left him alone for more than a couple hours. What if he flips? What if his bulb decides to heat up to a zillion degrees? He still hasn't figured out his water dish...what if he's thirsty? I'm sure he will do just fine, but I'm nervous all the same. :(

Lol I feel your pain, I worry about mines all the time. I hate going to work and leaving them! I don't have wifi but if you do you could invest in a camera system that you can set up and keep an eye on him from your phone :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
laney said:
StarSapphire22 said:

Lol I feel your pain, I worry about mines all the time. I hate going to work and leaving them! I don't have wifi but if you do you could invest in a camera system that you can set up and keep an eye on him from your phone :)

Maybe I will do that once we build his permanent enclosure. ^.^

I took a new picture today...wanted to share.

This one was taken by HermanniChris when I was picking out my Littlefoot, exactly 2 weeks ago.

This one was taken today.

If you look super close, he's already grown a little! There's just a teensy bit more of black around the edges of his scutes. :D The little things make me happy. :tort:

Oh, and today marks one week that Littlefoot has been home! :) I celebrated with a cupcake for him. He celebrated with extra poop in his morning soak. :p

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
How often should I expect urates from him? He had urates last Tuesday and Wednesday but none since. :/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Fantastic pictures!

Don't worry about the frequency of urates. As long as they aren't powder when you do see them...but seriously, you'll be fine. He looks well cared for and hydrated :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Ok! He's been a good little pooper. Haha!

He gets 2 soaks a day for about 30 minutes each. He doesn't like his water dish. His enclosure stays nice and humid though on the warm end. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Jessica, your baby is just too cute. Your pix are absolutely beautiful...nice camera. Don't forget to keep some of your best pics for next year's calendar contest.