The adventures of Link

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Link looks great as always!
Opo lets me wipe his mouth after eating mazuri. He tries to wipe his mouth but he is not to good at it.

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
He looks great! Has he gotten bigger or is it just the photo angles?

We’re actually at a vet right now having Archimedes looked at. Afraid he might have a bladder stone or something that’s causing him to strain when he urinates. Poor guy. I’ve never heard him make such awful noises before. :(

Cross your fingers for him!

Boogeyman

5 Year Member

We’re actually at a vet right now having Archimedes looked at. Afraid he might have a bladder stone or something that’s causing him to strain when he urinates. Poor guy. I’ve never heard him make such awful noises before. :(

Oh no, I hope everything turns out OK for Archimedes and he's able to pass through this without too much stress.. fingers cross.
Link is getting bigger he is Turning 3 years old in March.
Good luck to you and Archimedes and Merry Christmas

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
Oh no, I hope everything turns out OK for Archimedes and he's able to pass through this without too much stress.. fingers cross.
Thanks! Hopefully he feels better soon. He was still eating and active like normal (no lethargy), so I am hoping I caught it early enough that they can get him on the mend without too much treatment.

Merry Christmas to you and Link!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Keep us posted! Poor guy.

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
Thank you for the concern, all. They were able to do some imaging on him and found that he has a blockage due to some crystallized urates. Thankfully it’s near the end of his cloaca, so they should be able to fix him up without anything too invasive. They kept him overnight to give him some pain meds and fluids, and they’re going to do a procedure this morning to hopefully clear it out.

I’ll let you all know when I hear an update!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for the concern, all. They were able to do some imaging on him and found that he has a blockage due to some crystallized urates. Thankfully it’s near the end of his cloaca, so they should be able to fix him up without anything too invasive. They kept him overnight to give him some pain meds and fluids, and they’re going to do a procedure this morning to hopefully clear it out.

I’ll let you all know when I hear an update!
Ask them if the urates are hard. If so you will need to get more moisture in him.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sorry for taking over your post.✌

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
Ask them if the urates are hard. If so you will need to get more moisture in him.
I will ask them that when they call me back later. I’m definitely going to be more diligent about giving him soaks than I had been. A lesson learned the hard (and expensive) way, for sure. I thought that you only really needed to soak babies often, but I know better now.

Sorry for taking over your post.✌
I was going to say the same thing. I’m sorry for hijacking your thread @Boogeyman. You always ask how Archimedes is doing, so I figured you’d be curious to know.

If anything, let my mistake be a lesson for you and Link. Moisturize frequently!

DavidB

New Hampshire, USA
I just wanted to give an update on my sully...

After a night at the vet and a procedure, Archimedes came home the other night. The vet diagnosed him with a bladder stone. It was stuck not too far into his cloaca, so they were able to sedate him, break up the stone, and extract the pieces without doing anything super invasive. They did need to trim the edge of his carapace to get better access, so I ended up with a little souvenir.

He’s slowly returning to normal behavior and finally ate something today after having no interest in food the day after he came home. They gave me an ointment to apply daily to where they cut his shell, so the home care isn’t too bad. I’m cautiously optimistic that everything is going to be okay, but he gave me a hell of a scare (and a huge vet bill).

I hope Link never has such an issue. It could have been fatal if I hadn’t been paying attention and got him to a vet ASAP.