The 5th Annual Tortoise Calendar Photo Contest is HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
srkarpen said:
I still don't understand the whole no noobs thing. Kind of a bummer deal.

Not bummer at all. We have a very big presence on GOOGLE. Any search at all for something tortoise related and our forum comes up in the first several answers on the first page. When non-members see "contest" and "prize" it encourages them to join and submit a picture. The first year we did the contest we gained many new members who submitted pictures but never participated in any of the conversations or threads and after the contest we never heard from the again. We want our MEMBERS to win the contest, not some Joe Blow from off the internet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't stand joe blow, I think he is related to susie cream cheese.

Time to pwn some noobs

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I emailed my photo. Can I get a confirmation that it was received. I'm a little paranoid that it didn't go through.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
emysemys said:
srkarpen said:
I still don't understand the whole no noobs thing. Kind of a bummer deal.

Not bummer at all. We have a very big presence on GOOGLE. Any search at all for something tortoise related and our forum comes up in the first several answers on the first page. When non-members see "contest" and "prize" it encourages them to join and submit a picture. The first year we did the contest we gained many new members who submitted pictures but never participated in any of the conversations or threads and after the contest we never heard from the again. We want our MEMBERS to win the contest, not some Joe Blow from off the internet.

I agree completely! If new members are interested they can stick around until the next contest!

Also, photo sent! It was nearly 10MB, let me know if you guys didn't get it.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Photo sent about 20 minutes ago :p

I too agree with the noob rule. I'm a member of another forum [not related to tortoises] they do a thing every year where you have o have over a thousand posts and be a meMber over a year. So they're pretty lenient here.

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
So excited to see the entires! Should we expect voting to begin sometime today? Will that be in this thread here or a new one?

MnM10

5 Year Member
Josh said:
Time for our fifth Annual Tortoise Forum Calendar Photo Contest and the 2013 Edition of our much sought after Tortoise Forum Calendar! For those who are not familiar with this annual tradition, toward the end of the year we hold a contest where all members are encouraged to submit their best tortoise photo. Then we all vote for our favorites, which are then published in a Tortoise Forum Calendar.

This year we will be doing photo submissions differently, and we'll tell you how at the bottom of this message.

You must have been a member for the previous 30 days (from Sept. 12) to enter this contest.
Please, only ONE entry per household.

Entries should be submitted until September 30, 2012 @ 11:59PM PST after which the voting will begin.

The top 12 voted photos will be printed in the 2013 Tortoise Forum Calendar (12 months and one cover) along with a collage of ALL of this year's entries.

The photo with the most TOTAL votes will receive a $100 gift card to LLLReptile.com!

- Your photo must be of a living tortoise, any species will do.

- You must be the sole copyright owner of the photo you submit.

- Only one submission per member. Choose your photo carefully - you may not change it once it's submitted.

- Photo placement in the calendar will be prioritized according to how many votes each photo gets (ex. the top voted photo gets first choice on which month they want their photo with)

- The photo original must be at least 5 megapixels so that it can be printed at an 8.5"x11" size. Your photo will be thrown out if it does not meet this requirement. (To find megapixels, multiply the length of your image, in pixels, by the height. ex. an 2592x1936 pixel image is roughly 5 megapixels.) This is important because small digital photos cannot be blown up and still look nice.

- All photos must be submitted by September 30, 2012 @ 11:59PM PST.

We will not be publishing the submitted photos until the submission date has passed and it is time to vote.

To enter, mail your 5 megapixel (or larger) photo to:

[email protected]

Please use the following format when submitting your photo:
Tortoise Name: [Your Tort's Name Here]
Tortoise Species: [Your Tort's Species Here]
Taken by: [Your Name Here]
[Your Photo Here]

Thanks for your participation and enthusiasm in continuing this great tradition! May the best photos win!

How do we know our photo was received and how do we vote? o_O

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
MnM10 said:

I received a confirmation email that mine was received. If you did not it may just be that you sent yours in more recently and he didn't get around to it. The best way to tell at this point will probably just to wait and see if your picture is among those that get posted, lol.

Last year they had a seperate thread for voting but that was when they did submissions via posting in the thread so I would not be totally surprised if voting ended up in this same thread. But who knows. I am anxious as well to see the entires and vote. The Voting process was not spelled out very clearly in the OP.

MnM10

5 Year Member
turtletrucker said:
MnM10 said:

I received a confirmation email that mine was received. If you did not it may just be that you sent yours in more recently and he didn't get around to it. The best way to tell at this point will probably just to wait and see if your picture is among those that get posted, lol.

Last year they had a seperate thread for voting but that was when they did submissions via posting in the thread so I would not be totally surprised if voting ended up in this same thread. But who knows. I am anxious as well to see the entires and vote. The Voting process was not spelled out very clearly in the OP.

Ok thanks :) and yes I'm very anxious to see if my little doode made it lol

M

Maggie Cummings

LuckysGirl007 said:
YES! I have been waiting a whole month for this!!!!!

Only a month??? I've been waiting since the last calendar!!!

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
maggie3fan said:
LuckysGirl007 said:
YES! I have been waiting a whole month for this!!!!!

Only a month??? I've been waiting since the last calendar!!!

I've only been a member for a little over a month. :) Next year I will be waiting ALL year!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ahh shucks! looks like I wont have a photo entry this year. I had an awesome species to put on too. :( Looks like I will have to wait till next year.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Can noobs vote at least? When will the calendar come out? I can't wait for next year when I can submit a picture! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.