Thanks for responses on Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just wanted to thank everyone for such quick feedback on the Hingeback compatibility. I have some extra cage space available, so it will not be a problem to run two separate enclosures. I have had good experience keeping a pair together, so I will most likely attempt to pair the second male.

I have been keeping this species for about a year now and have found them to be very under rated. Once settled-in their personalities really start to come out. They almost remind me of keeping NA wood turtles. I've seen breeding activity a couple of times, but I think they need to cycle another year or two before I will see much in the way of eggs.

The Hingebacks are definitely different from any other species of tortoise, I have kept. There is a part of me that hopes they never get too popular. I think that this species already suffers too many losses at the hands of consumers looking for a "cheap" tortoise.

Well, thanks again for eveyone's quick response and making me feel welcome as a new member.

"May you live each day of your life"
Jeff

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree, they are wonderful animals. Unfortunately way too often the wild caught ones are so stressed and everything, that by the time somebody purchases one, they can be hard to get restarted. Once you get them past that first hump, they do seem to do very well. It's just that most folks don't give them that first period of time to adjust or they are just so far gone they don't come back. It's almost like they give up the will to fight easier then most tortoises. Plus by being a "cheap" tortoise, I don't think many folks give them the care they need. They are one of the more "disposable" tortoises.

Really glad your experience has been so positive. We need many more captive breeding colonies of these animals happening and sounds like your on your way. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Love this post and Jacqui's reply! As we all know, there is no such thing as a disposable tortie, and it's great to see one caring so well and getting along so great with his torts! It's truly awesome how we all care for our shelled friends so deeply!

Keep up the great work, Guys {& Gals, lol}
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.