Thanks for letting me join

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Gunner

He gets romain and broccoli and tortoise grass greens View attachment 330198
Yes, as I mentioned before, this is not the proper diet, the main priority of the diet should consist of hay, weeds, and grasses… I would recommend making him an outdoor enclosure as well so he can forage for those things as well, but this is what he should be eating, please read the care sheet for further information!

CLINTOn

Galveston
Yes, as I mentioned before, this is not the proper diet, the main priority of the diet should consist of hay, weeds, and grasses… I would recommend making him an outdoor enclosure as well so he can forage for those things as well, but this is what he should be eating, please read the care sheet for further information!
Thank you does he look healthy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

You've gotten the usual wrong advice and wrong set up. The following is intended to help you take good care of your tortoise. Its not an insult or attack.

The current set up is not going to work because:
1. You can't maintain the correct humidity and temperature in an open topped tub. You need a closed chamber. Monsoon conditions.
2. You've got the wrong type of UV bulb and it can burn your tortoises eyes. Its also not an effective UV source.
3. You've probably got the wrong basking bulb, though I can't see it. "Intense Basking Spot Bulb"? These are no good for tortoises. They cause pyramiding.
4. The ramped water bowl is a tortoise death trap. Remove it ASAP. Great for lizards and snakes, but its a no go for chelonians.
5. The stick-on dial type thermometers and hygrometers are not accurate or reliable. Junk.

I know this is a bummer, but most new torotise buyers go through the same thing that you are going through now. Almost every source for tortoise care info gives the wrong info. Its bad out there. I did it wrong for nearly 20 years starting in 1991. Only since about 2008 have we all been figuring out why that old info is wrong, and what info is right. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.