Thank You

Jackson

5 Year Member
I would like to take the time to thank this forum and its participants.
My redfoot (Clifton) is doing so well. He has the proper lighting, heat, foods, space and humidity. He seems so happy in his new enclosure. He gets to pick his choice of hides and temperatures. The new enclosure is so nice, all on timers and thermostats. All I have to do is fill his water bowls and dump a bit of water on the substrate and the humidity stays over 90 for days. The only drawback is that the glass viewing area always has condensation/moisture on it and I can't see him too well.

Kind Regards,

Jeff & Clifton

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So glad to hear this. This is really a fantastic place for tortoise info. I hope you and Clifton have many happy decades together. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would like to turn the thank you around and thank you for caring enough about your tortoise to go out and not only seek information on proper care, but to use that knowledge to improve your tortoises life.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I love hearing this [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️this is a great forum with great people [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Thank You

Jackson said:
I would like to take the time to thank this forum and its participants.
My redfoot (Clifton) is doing so well. He has the proper lighting, heat, foods, space and humidity. He seems so happy in his new enclosure. He gets to pick his choice of hides and temperatures. The new enclosure is so nice, all on timers and thermostats. All I have to do is fill his water bowls and dump a bit of water on the substrate and the humidity stays over 90 for days. The only drawback is that the glass viewing area always has condensation/moisture on it and I can't see him too well.

Kind Regards,

Jeff & Clifton

If you post a picture of your chamber we may be able to solve the glass condensation issue.

Jackson

5 Year Member
image.jpg

It's just a basic piece of Lexan.

The paint is a special epoxy used for hyperbaric environments.

Very hard and no fumes, also an excellent moisture barrier.

The substrate I use is a mixture of barks, coconut "stuff", Sphagnum moss and forest moss.

A CHE and a 5.0 florencent for tropical species are in there.
The CHE is set on a thermostat - 78-80 is the coolest spot.

The florencent is on a timer ( 12/12 )

He seems to like his 86 degree hide the most.

He has a 14" water dish (ceramic planter "plate")

The edge of this is just under the CHE. The water stays at 92
The substrate under the CHE is 102 (a little hot) but that's where it needs to be to regulate the other temps correctly.

I really don't mind the moisture on the Lexan, as I'm happy about his humidity.

I'd like to add that he stated off in a small aquarium filled with reptile sand and a coil florencent and the small "heat bulb" pulled the humidity straight up and out.

Thanks to this forum things have changed.

Thanks to all

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Ah, what a shame. Such a nice enclosure and inside can't be viewed.
A small 25w heat cable will do the trick. Simply snake the heat cable horizontally across your plexi spaced about 3" apart. You may have to play with the distance spacing. Cable can be placed on the inside or outside of the glass. I secured this in place with pieces of wide clear tape. Placed inside it will raise the temp slightly but won't take away from the humidity. Plexi will bend if its not already. For a nice enclosure as yours I would replace it with a piece regular safety glass. (No bending, no scratching).

Here is an example. I only ran the cable at the lower portion spaced closely as I also have a small computer fan to help and also circulate the air inside. I still get condensation at the very top at times. Fan on its own won't do much. You can see big difference in outside/inside humidity and temperature with no condensation on the front. Excuse the low esthetics, it was a rush job and the plexi has tendency to bend with heat cable on it. Hope this helps, I know I was frustrated not to be able to see inside.
1383685231626.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackson

5 Year Member
Wow, ok. You know I'm gonna have to try this.

Thanks for the advice Mikeh.

The Grandkids love to look inside to see what he's up to.

They will most likely be caring for him in the future .....

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
What is the name if that special epoxy paint you used that is both waterproof and has no fumes??!?!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Jackson

5 Year Member
Moozillion said:
What is the name if that special epoxy paint you used that is both waterproof and has no fumes??!?!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

polyamide epoxy

Polyamide Epoxy is designed for use in Food and Beverage Processing, Industrial Maintenance, General Metal Finishing and Fabrication, Chemical Processing, Industrial and Commercial Flooring and other areas requiring maximum impact and abrasion resistance. It’s highly cross-linked film resists many chemicals and solvents, and exhibits excellent chemical and moisture resistance. It is resistant to dilute acids and alkali attack and does not support the growth of mold, fungi or other micro-organisms.

I'm a commercial diving contractor. We use it inside decompression chambers, type 1 & 2 diving bells and saturation units.

I'm no scientist, but this is the safest thing I could come up with.

Jackson

5 Year Member
I let the paint cure for a week, then put 2 onions in a bowl of water and stick it in there for two days.

Any fumes or funny smell should be gone.

During this time you can play with temperatures and set up.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Interesting! What are the onions supposed to do? I heard that the onion fumes that make our eyes tear up is something like sulfuric acid?

Jackson

5 Year Member
Moozillion said:
Interesting! What are the onions supposed to do? I heard that the onion fumes that make our eyes tear up is something like sulfuric acid?

They absorb fumes or funky smells.

Faster than baking soda.

Cut them in half and put them in a shallow bowl of water.