thank you in advance

SGT Fish

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
hello, let me forst of all say thank you for all the information you fine people put out. i am new to tortoises but have quite a collection of reptiles. I read a lot on her before ordering my hatchling sulcata from tortoise supply. But I finally created an account because I just got a second Sulcata that needs some TLC.

the new one was given to me by a person i met through work. He has been raising it for eight years but could no longer care for it. Its only about 10-12 inches shell length and has some pyramiding and an overgrown and split beak. It was being kept in a long skinny glass aquarium where it couldnt even turn around without climbing the wall. I can tell its shell is shorter because of this. The good news is that it is very alert and active as well as being a very hungry eater. They said they only fed it once a day thinking that it will stay smaller. I have had it walking and grazing in my yard the past couple days and i threw together a heated cardboard house with slate tile floor for it to sleep in at night. I absolutely love this new tortoise. I have been soaking it in the tub and feeding it plenty. I dont think it has turned down a meal yet except for some cactus it doesnt want to touch, and it isnt too big on the orchard grass hay. Im about to order some cuttlebones for them, especially because my yellow belly slider would benefit from one too.

Has anyone successfully potty/litterbox trained a sulcata? Its fine right now because it spends its day outside but i worry about wintertime, by next summer i should have a larger house with a better enclosure, but i couldnt pass him up especially with him living in a small aquarium and not being cared for properly.

I'll post pictures when i get time. but thanks for all the leg work everyone puts in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I don't have a sulcata and I don't have mine potty trained, but there is a member that lives with his big sulcata in his house. He does go outside I think, or maybe one designated place to potty. But, he doesn't come on here much anymore. I will alert him to this and maybe if he is checking in he can respond. @cemmons12
Otherwise, you should set him up in his own room or a proper sized enclosure for winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh I forgot, good for you for taking in this second one. It sounds like a very sad situation for him. Even though you really don't have the room, you were still willing to help this one out. I think that's great of you.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I would have to see it to believe a Sulcata was potty trained. Good for you taking this on. Depending on where you live a heated night box or shed could be an option for winter.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
i forgot to mention. when i got the new big guy, he looked very dark shelled when i walked up to him. turns out he was completely covered in a layer of dirt. the owner said he didnt keep a water bowl in with it anymore because it would just dig and fill it up with dirt. so i imagine the pyramiding is largely caused by the lack of hydration and the lack of food. I put him in the bathtub and my woman and daughter loved giving it a soft scrub with a toothbrush. It is looking a lot better now and hasnt tried to dig at all. I think it may have wanted to dig because there was no shelter in the aquarium. It loves walking in its temporary cardboard box house

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no water dish? That is so sad
salutations

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and both your sulcatas.
Thanks so much for taking the second one in.
Poor thing

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI and welcome,
Sounds like the sully is in good hands now.
He is about the same size as my leopard, Lola.
Lola has his own room in the house, with large trays of substrate, plants, etc
He has mvb for day and a che on a thermostat for night, plus a radiator in the room.
He goes out when it is warm enough - which hasn't been very often this summer.
I hope he continues to thrive in his new home.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
i measured his shell last night and its right at 10.5 inches on the plastron. he is still doing extremely well now and enjoying the back yard, he even found a mud bath where my air conditioner is dripping condensation and he got plenty muddy. so i gave him another bath/soak last night. His shell is looking more and more beautiful every time it gets washed. the years of dirt are coming off and the color is showing

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
Frank likes to come out of his house and greet me when j am getting ready for work. This little setup I threw together is temporary. I'm going to add a mvb bulb for heat and uv light to make a basking spot, but for now it's hot enough outside that he spends his days in the yard while I'm at work. He loves where my AC unit drips condensation and makes a mud bath. I bring him in the house when it gets dark and he eats a little and then goes to bed in his cardboard box house with a che for warmth. He readily comes to you if you have some greens. The last owner said he loved tomatoes but I haven't checked if they are ok or not yet. I'm totally loving having this dude around

Attachments

• 20150903_053938.jpg
    20150903_053938.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 8

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
In the 3rd and 4th pictures you can see his shell is darker. We picked him up on our way to go camping and didn't wash him yet, just brushed off the layer of dirt on him. So you can see the improvement in reverse order. The last picture shows his beak overgrowth and split. I think it's getting better but I will probably still trim it

Attachments

• 20150901_194747.jpg
    20150901_194747.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20150831_094638.jpg
    20150831_094638.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20150830_144020.jpg
    20150830_144020.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20150830_132242.jpg
    20150830_132242.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20150830_132727.jpg
    20150830_132727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Oh my goodness that closeup picture is so cute!!
Thank you for doing all you can for this handsome little dude! He definitely knows you saved him :)
Tomatoes I don't know if okay for his species, but as a rule of thumb don't offer more than one or two a month because of the high phosphorus content. Too much can throw off their calcium:phosphorus ratio