Thank You for adding to the forum!

Juniper619

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello All,
I found this little guy roaming my backyard about 2 months ago. I just built an indoor enclosure. I moved him indoor about a week ago now.
He’s started shedding a few days ago. Should I use a toothbrush and gently remove the skin?

Attachments

• 360FCB7D-EC0A-45C7-8DE5-C72A1C8C251E.jpeg
    360FCB7D-EC0A-45C7-8DE5-C72A1C8C251E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Jdaniel

Mobile, Alabama
Hello, and welcome to the forums, Juniper.

I may be mistaken, but from what I have been reading flaky skin can be a symptom of either vitamin a/beta carotene defeciency, or humidity being too low.
Is it dry where you live?
Edit: Location is Las Vegas, right. Is that a desert tortoise?

Last edited:

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Hello All,
I found this little guy roaming my backyard about 2 months ago. I just built an indoor enclosure. I moved him indoor about a week ago now.
He’s started shedding a few days ago. Should I use a toothbrush and gently remove the skin?
Flaking/shedding is a normal thing and you should let nature take its course. You don't have to help him with that with toothbrushes etc.

You found him wandering your backgarden and I see you're from Vegas. They are natives. So he's wild then? My question is why did you take him, it's actually illegal to do this, besides the fact he should live free outside where he came from.

Last edited:

Juniper619

Las Vegas, NV
Hi Kim/Tim,
Thank you for letting me know about the shedding.
I am keeping him inside temporarily due to a nest of ants in my backyard. Last week he was covered in ants. According to the exterminator, they are fire ants. I couldn’t just leave him out there. The vet I took him to told me about an organization called the Tortoise Group. I registered my tortoise with them. I think his age is between a year and 2. I’m in the process of building a burrow for him. They will come out to do an inspection once it’s built. It’s perfectly legal to adopt a wild tortoise as long as you register it and build a proper burrow.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Hi Kim/Tim,
Thank you for letting me know about the shedding.
I am keeping him inside temporarily due to a nest of ants in my backyard. Last week he was covered in ants. According to the exterminator, they are fire ants. I couldn’t just leave him out there. The vet I took him to told me about an organization called the Tortoise Group. I registered my tortoise with them. I think his age is between a year and 2. I’m in the process of building a burrow for him. They will come out to do an inspection once it’s built. It’s perfectly legal to adopt a wild tortoise as long as you register it and build a proper burrow.
The shedding is a part of growing and completely natural, renewing skin so to speak. It'll be an ongoing process for the rest of his life. I know it's legal when you register etc and I'm glad you've done that.
I don't mean to be mean, but he was wild/free and could live a wonderful free life in the desert. Isn't that a possibility anymore?

Juniper619

Las Vegas, NV
The shedding is a part of growing and completely natural, renewing skin so to speak. It'll be an ongoing process for the rest of his life. I know it's legal when you register etc and I'm glad you've done that.
I don't mean to be mean, but he was wild/free and could live a wonderful free life in the desert. Isn't that a possibility anymore?
I didn’t mean to sound like I was offended.
The first time I saw him, he was crossing our backyard. I saw him again about a week later doing the same walk around. I tried to leave him alone but I saw a story about the several tortoise groups on the local news. They are trying to help the population. Some of these preserves have many tortoises that need a permanent home. Las Vegas is getting more and more crowded so the tortoises that hatch in the suburbs are getting eaten by bigger animals or run over by cars. Some of them starve or unable to bare the desert climate without a little help. One park ranger mentioned the preserve raises hatchlings until they are no longer in danger of being eaten by a raven. I guess I’m trying do my part in helping to keep this species from extinction. Sorry for the rambling. I do appreciate your concern for the little guy.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I didn’t mean to sound like I was offended.
The first time I saw him, he was crossing our backyard. I saw him again about a week later doing the same walk around. I tried to leave him alone but I saw a story about the several tortoise groups on the local news. They are trying to help the population. Some of these preserves have many tortoises that need a permanent home. Las Vegas is getting more and more crowded so the tortoises that hatch in the suburbs are getting eaten by bigger animals or run over by cars. Some of them starve or unable to bare the desert climate without a little help. One park ranger mentioned the preserve raises hatchlings until they are no longer in danger of being eaten by a raven. I guess I’m trying do my part in helping to keep this species from extinction. Sorry for the rambling. I do appreciate your concern for the little guy.
Yeah I totally get it!
I didn't want to come across as an a*hole, but in general I believe that every wild animal should stay wild. We have many hedgehogs for instance and you're allowed to help them out with water, a little house and meal worms for instance, but not allowed to take them in.
I'm glad you've explained it so well, not rambling at all! I'm sure you'll make him/her a wonderful home ??