Thank you everyone!

Drake1220

I just got my very first Russian Tortoise about two weeks ago from my wife for a surprise for my birthday from PetsMart since I have been wanting one since I was a kid. His name is Tyrion and since I got him I have been reading the threads on the Russian tortoise forum religiously and I just want to say thank you all for the incredible information you all have been a life saver for a new owner like me keep up the good work everyone! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426466207.961190.jpg

Drake1220

It has helped a bunch! I plan on starting an outdoor enclosure wishing the next week or two I have purchased some seeds for plants and flowers that he can eat and I need to get some lumber to build the walls for him so that's my next project for my new buddy

Drake1220

Thank you all so much do you guys have any tips or pointers for a new owner like me?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Russians can climb anything so make your enclosure safe by putting a lip all the way around it! I watched mine get out once using a plastic chair leg and a cinder block to scale between ;) someone told me this when I got mine but I didn't think this was possible lol, better safe than sorry.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He is a pretty nice looking tortoise.bGlad you found us and joined the community of russian enthusiasts. :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello, congrats on the tort, he's quite beautiful.
I agree Russian torts are escape artists, I watched mine use his thermometer to scale a vertical wall... perhaps I should make a thread of escape/scaling feats these guys have been caught in because its just so darn common.
Also, since I see you have petstore food dishes and water, you can basically avoid ever having to shop at the pet stores to get supplies, you can buy cypress mulch cheaper at home depot or lowes as well as other soils or substrates you could ever wish to use. And most people here use those shallow terra cotta saucers for food and water, super cheap, just what they need and bonus they help keep the tortoises nails and beak trimmed naturally.

Drake1220

I will remember that next time I need to get some substrate and when I actually build his enclosure for his food and water thank you so much for your help