Thank you all!

solidsounds17

Location (City and/or State)
Inglewood, Ca
As the title states, thank you.

Over the weekend I found this forum and learned about the dangers of open top tortoise tables along with all the wrong items I have been using, MVB, CFL, peat moss, etc., for my baby leopard. Due to finding all the wrong information online and how poorly my baby was living, I panicked and made a thread asking for help.

A couple days I read a thread about how some of you were tired of all the newbies asking the same questions and making the same posts. Truthfully, I found this very offensive and dis motivating mainly because I am new to the game and asked all these questions in fear of my little guy. However, some of you still reached out and gave the helping hand and for that Ican’t fathom the gratitude I have for each and every one of you.

Tom, mark, maro2 somthing?, Yvonne or Yvette?, and a couple more that I forgot.Sorry if I misspelled your name or forgot to mention, I’m horrible at learning names. Needless to say, you know who you are.
Anywayssssa, here’s a picture of before and after of my table. I made the modifications for a closed chamber as some of y’all suggested. Excuse any flaws that you may see in the design as I am an amateur in electrical and construction work lol.
New enclosure details;
Substrate is a mix of orchid bark, cypress and coco.

basking temps range from 92-96. Humidity is always at 89 and higher.
CHE is on thermostat set to 93.
lights are on timers.
No UVB because I take my little guy out every day for an hour outside in this beautiful LA weather that’s always 78+, as tom suggested.
Pots inside contain browsing mix for tyler( tortoise supply) so hopefully I can grow something.
I would appreciate any suggestions or changes y’all may think I need.
Baby leopard pitched from Tyler and in my possession for 3 weeks now.

Last question. What’s the longest super market greens can go in the fridge before they go bad? I know they’re not the best but I have no experience or knowledge in growing flowers nor how to pick weeds so it’s only temporary until I have learned a decent amount and then begin to incorporate.
1st pic is before, 2nd/3rd is the current setup. Last pic is my little guy enjoying the sun today.

Last but not least, started a savings to hopefully buy one of Marks beautiful enclosures hopefully by the end of the year ??

2A1C6CA8-1521-4E97-8DCA-8763B3DC1B4B.pngEC5B0B03-09AE-49E3-8704-87003A53301F.jpeg7DD6E32A-FBDB-4460-8E29-4839661B35D8.jpegEA0C9811-1532-4BFE-A44E-ED5F89B2BA98.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! You did a great job. You're keeping the substrate moist, right?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey there, regarding your question - “Last question. What’s the longest super market greens can go in the fridge before they go bad? I know they’re not the best but I have no experience or knowledge in growing flowers nor how to pick weeds so it’s only temporary until I have learned a decent amount and then begin to incorporate.”

✅ I have found that by using an extra large “tupperware” type bin you can keep greens fresher by taking them out of any plastic bags that they came in & thoroughly drying off as much as you can. Then, lay some paper towels in your vegg crisper, layer the greens in loosely, fold in some folded towels, then more greens. Depending what the green is, they will last. Also, a few “bad greens” won’t hurt a tort. Kale & romaine & escarole & dandelion go a long way like this. Single leaves like Mulberry & grape i just feed soonest.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
By the way, your new enclosure fully enclosed looks great. Your CHE looks a bit small, but you know the temps & can judge better. Is it on a thermostat with temp probe?

??

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
This a great build... Good job taking what you learned and making the changes necessary for your tortoise to be healthy and happy.

If you are talking about the post I think you are then you are misunderstanding the issue that was being raised. We love newbies and all of their questions. 98% of the people in here love providing knowledge and guidance to people starting off. The issue that was raised was about people who ask questions but only want to be told they are right or only want to argue with the people helping them out. This is clearly not you as this post is evidence of your desire to learn and do right by your tortoise. Welcome to the TFO and good luck. Keep up the good work.

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
What a gorgeous little tortoise!! What kind is it? Welcome to the forum. I think I read the post you are talking about and method89 explained it very well. I have seen newcomers come on the forum to ask a question (ex: Can I let my tortoise wander around my house?) and when veterans give compelling reasons why this is not a good idea, they argue. Inevidently, one person will post that they have let their tortoise wander the house for years and nothing bad has happened. The new stubborn person then says, "great, that's what I thought". I think the more experienced keepers (I am new to this) wonder why people ask the question when they already know what they are going to do.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Hey there, regarding your question - “Last question. What’s the longest super market greens can go in the fridge before they go bad? I know they’re not the best but I have no experience or knowledge in growing flowers nor how to pick weeds so it’s only temporary until I have learned a decent amount and then begin to incorporate.”

✅ I have found that by using an extra large “tupperware” type bin you can keep greens fresher by taking them out of any plastic bags that they came in & thoroughly drying off as much as you can. Then, lay some paper towels in your vegg crisper, layer the greens in loosely, fold in some folded towels, then more greens. Depending what the green is, they will last. Also, a few “bad greens” won’t hurt a tort. Kale & romaine & escarole & dandelion go a long way like this. Single leaves like Mulberry & grape i just feed soonest.
Thank you, I will begin to do this.

and yes, it’s only a 60W but wanted to avoid getting anything higher as I was advised to. I was told anything too high will over heat the place. Yes it’s on a thermostat with the sensor inside.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
What a gorgeous little tortoise!! What kind is it? Welcome to the forum. I think I read the post you are talking about and method89 explained it very well. I have seen newcomers come on the forum to ask a question (ex: Can I let my tortoise wander around my house?) and when veterans give compelling reasons why this is not a good idea, they argue. Inevidently, one person will post that they have let their tortoise wander the house for years and nothing bad has happened. The new stubborn person then says, "great, that's what I thought". I think the more experienced keepers (I am new to this) wonder why people ask the question when they already know what they are going to do.

Baby leopard ?

I grazed through most of the posts so you may be right. I’m glad you and many others are still offering guidance, we newbies really appreciate it!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
A big hug and thank you to you as well. You were first to reach out and actually answer every question I had. I am forever grateful!!
Oh no problem! I'm so happy we could all help you and your little Leo! Hes adorable and I know you two will have a long happy time together ?

The speed in which you did that just shows how much you care

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
Oh no problem! I'm so happy we could all help you and your little Leo! Hes adorable and I know you two will have a long happy time together ?

The speed in which you did that just shows how much you care
I felt like i took long, too lol. I’m no expert in building so I made plenty of mistakes haha