TFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
How did you find TFO and what was your first thoughts about the forum members as a whole?:D

I will go first!
I found TFO totally by accident, browsing the internet one day i found TFO and the tortoise trust, I did like the trust web page for instant info, but the TFO forum is much more relaxed and the people are so much more open and friendly.. I always recommend TFO to english speaking customers. :):):)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I've been a member of a few forums in my time, for various things. I always find they're the best way to get subjective information, and opinions, based on experience.

I'd decided I wanted a tortoise, I'd researched in depth about their care and requirements and I'd chosen a Hermann's. From there, it just made sense to search for a tortoise forum, make myself known and start contributing so I could learn more, and hopefully eventually share my experience with others.

I believe we can learn a lot from tortoise care websites, but they don't tailor their content to you. I was concerned about a week after having Emrys when his personality and activity levels suddenly changed. I thought the worst, because I'd done all my research and knew what could be happening, but people reassured me and told me I was doing things right and I decided to wait things out before rushing off to the vet. A few days later, he was fine. I know that I can trust people here to tell me straight if I'm doing something wrong, and I know that if they believed I actually needed to get to a vet they'd let me know straight away. You don't get that from anywhere else.

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
I have only been a member for a little while. i also research on what ever type of critter i might be thinking of getting and since i was going to be getting back into tortoises again i did a search. i actualy seach out forums as they are very relaxed and helpful. when i saw this one i kind of looked around to get the feel for it and decided to go ahead and join.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I found them while researching information on Redfoot Tortoises. (To which I am now the proud owner of 3).

I found the information helpful and accurate. There are some great very experienced Tort owners of all breeds here and I like the fact that everyone is nice and respectful to each other. Not like some other sites that I have lurked around on.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Found it by accident while investigating what to do for my TGG that can't hiberbate for the first time in living memory.

It seems a friendly and open forum. As I'm British, some of the US stuff doesn't apply, but there seems to be healthy ex-pat population on here!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I found the site while looking up food to feed my sulcata and since I was using google, it brought up several results for the TFO. Joined and the rest is history...

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Found it when.. I was trying to do more research before getting my first tortoise :p about the greeks and then to better care for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm not mistaken, one of our members - Laura - turned me on to the forum a couple years ago. At that time I was active on several YAHOOgroups and it was hard for me to convert to the forum's format...but I'm so glad that I did. Don't belong to those YAHOOgroups anymore. This is way more interesting.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I was searching for info on how to take care of my Russian, AFTER my daughter surprised me with him on Fathers' Day, this year. Prior to this, I knew nothing about tortoises and had to learn quick.
After looking at a few sites and going thru a process of elimination, I decided that this had the most KNOWLEDGEABLE and INVOLVED members.
The other sites seemed to lack in member participation.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I got my torts and knew nothing. I took them because they needed a home not expecting to become a tort freak. I kept googling CDT care and getting conficting info. The pet stores were giving me conflicting info too. I finally found TFO and everything just seemed to click. I was suprised by all the knowledgable people. I spent hours and hours reading and asking questions. I found the members to be very kind and caring. My guys were tiny babies so I needed lots of help and quick.

B

byerssusan

I found TFO by searching about how to care for a sulcata tortoise. I found several sites..When I came upon this one I was amazed at all the info. I wanted to know the difference between keeping a desert tortoise and a sulcata. Before I actually purchased Phoenix. Knowing that the desert tortoise hibernates and all the legal matters which go along with them I chose the sulcata..And I saw alot of people here who have owned and raised tortoises for many years. I consider that the best knowledge is people with experience in the matter. I don't rely too much on books. Although they do help.LOL...I would rather get my info from others who have been there done that. And by gosh this is the place!!!! I Love it here! Am so glad I found this site.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I've only been one here for a month or so, and I cannot for the life of me recall how I came across this forum. Don't if I saw it referenced from another website, or someone told me about it....(scratches head)...I dunno, but it now probably gets more hits from me than any of my other herp forums!

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, AZ
I've been on TFO for about two months now. I had a little hatchling find me not too long ago, so I started scouring the internet for information. TFO was one of the many sites I found, and I have searched and cruised just about every corner of the forum since.

I have been a member of a few other forums of varying subjects over the past 10 years. I find that forums tend to be an indispensable source of opinions, facts, reviews, and suggestions. I believe that I learn more from discussing topics than I do just reading about them.

Since I have been a member, even for as short of a time, I have found TFO to be one of the friendliest, warmest forums, comprised of such a wide range of people of all ages, backgrounds, and walks of life. I am truly happy to be a member of such a wonderful community.

Cheers to All and keep up the great work!!

:D Doug.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I found TFO by accident as well. I love this forum. I was a complete newbi when it came to torts. Eveyone here is uber nice and I am so happy that I found this site.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Craigs list.. I was on the hunt for sulcata info..
I dont belong to any other forums.. so nothing to compare it to.. but Im stll here after all these years..
I yes Yvonne.. I was theone who turned you on... to the forum... ;-)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When Josh first started this forum, he posted in another forum I belonged to. I had to delete his post in there, but checked out his site first. ;) Were just a handful of us posting back then.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, Tyler, I think I also found it because of googling Tort care and being directed to this site. It was quite a revelation.

Status
Not open for further replies.