TFO meet Rubber Ducky my new female three toed box turtle

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I was finally able to pick up this female 3 toed box turtle. I have been in contact with the previous owner for well over a month to get this beauty. He was just switching his focus to Lizards.

Her name is Rubber Ducky or Ducky for short. I have a male Three toed name Bertrum or Bert for short so its a bit of 90s kid hummor to pair these two up.

She is over 10 years old previous owner got her when he was over 6, breed once and he had her for 4 years but never had eggs or breed her.

She jas cute little orange markingson her beak like a duck (also a reason for the name) her back nails seem like they could use a trim, I think they could be too long to wear down naturally.

20180501_161026.jpg20180501_161030.jpg20180501_161042.jpg20180501_161050.jpg

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Congrats she is really nice. I would not cut them too far. You can cut the quick, like you can in a dog.
That is my worry, she will be sharing an outdoor enclosure with Bert hopefully by the end of this weekend, it has many different textures, rocks, tiles dirt, wood to climb/walk over but could take time to wear down. I believe im past the typical march, april breeding, neither of them wjere hibernated but if they mate near tge end of summer and she digfs to laid clutch could the long nails be a problem??

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
That is my worry, she will be sharing an outdoor enclosure with Bert hopefully by the end of this weekend, it has many different textures, rocks, tiles dirt, wood to climb/walk over but could take time to wear down. I believe im past the typical march, april breeding, neither of them wjere hibernated but if they mate near tge end of summer and she digfs to laid clutch could the long nails be a problem??

Just keep an eye on her. Males can sometimes harass a lone female and stress them out. If they do mate, she may not lay eggs if she is stressed.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Just keep an eye on her. Males can sometimes harass a lone female and stress them out. If they do mate, she may not lay eggs if she is stressed.
I am fully aware my outdoor enclosure is roughly 6ft by 8ft, lots of hides, I will be adding a second area for water and a second area for food as well. I am in the process of looking to add/plant either a dwarf blueberry bush, or day lillies if not both to add a plant style hide as well.20180430_172336.jpg

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I am fully aware my outdoor enclosure is roughly 6ft by 8ft, lots of hides, I will be adding a second area for water and a second area for food as well. I am in the process of looking to add/plant either a dwarf blueberry bush, or day lillies if not both to add a plant style hide as well.View attachment 237474

Very nice enclosure!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I was finally able to pick up this female 3 toed box turtle. I have been in contact with the previous owner for well over a month to get this beauty. He was just switching his focus to Lizards.

Her name is Rubber Ducky or Ducky for short. I have a male Three toed name Bertrum or Bert for short so its a bit of 90s kid hummor to pair these two up.

She is over 10 years old previous owner got her when he was over 6, breed once and he had her for 4 years but never had eggs or breed her.

She jas cute little orange markingson her beak like a duck (also a reason for the name) her back nails seem like they could use a trim, I think they could be too long to wear down naturally.

View attachment 237466View attachment 237467View attachment 237468View attachment 237469
The rear claws could use a very small trim but the beak looks pretty good. Offer food on a rough surface like slate or the rough back side a tile and it will start to wear down naturally.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
The rear claws could use a very small trim but the beak looks pretty good. Offer food on a rough surface like slate or the rough back side a tile and it will start to wear down naturally.
I always feed on a rock, tile or something hard

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Question maybe someone can answer.

If a box turtle doesn't hibernate can or qill it still lay eggs, fertile or not?

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Question maybe someone can answer.

If a box turtle doesn't hibernate can or qill it still lay eggs, fertile or not?

I have always read that hibernation helps with egg development in females. She may still lay eggs but i think hibernation is a big part of it.

N

no one

Aren't you worried about quarantaine? And is it different with box turtles if you keep pairs? I would never keep one female with one male even if there are hides in the enclousure. Because of the male constantly wanting to breed the female. I have no experience with box turtles I must say. So maybe that is different. Not trying to be rude or anything, just wondering...
She is a nice looking box turtle though!!

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Aren't you worried about quarantaine? And is it different with box turtles if you keep pairs? I would never keep one female with one male even if there are hides in the enclousure. Because of the male constantly wanting to breed the female. I have no experience with box turtles I must say. So maybe that is different. Not trying to be rude or anything, just wondering...
She is a nice looking box turtle though!!

The hardcore people will tell you no pairs, ever. The male can harass the female to a point of stress where she may get sick and die. That being said, in a very large enclosure, it may be ok. I’d look for a second female tho. Take the pressure off.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
The hardcore people will tell you no pairs, ever. The male can harass the female to a point of stress where she may get sick and die. That being said, in a very large enclosure, it may be ok. I’d look for a second female tho. Take the pressure off.
I fully agree one I would normally guarantee the new box turtle, but I i was very sure she is in good health and had proper care via the previous owner. As for being the only female I am looking for a second, female. As of this weekend if i can put the lid up they will have lots off room and places to hide from one an other and if the male harasses i will bring him in and leave her outside

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
She is a very attractive female. I have a male and a female three toed box turtle. They get along very well because they only see each other once a year to mate. If you had an entire backyard with lots of bushes, and hiding spots, it might be doable to put them in the same space. The amount of square footage you have is just not nearly enough to protect the female from being incessantly harassed. One of the problems is that whenever he sees a female then he will want to mate. It's just natural. Two females is not enough, either. One of the benefits of getting them together only once a year is that the female is much more likely to take an interest in mating with the male under that circumstance. But if he's hassling her, she won't cooperate. Not to mention she's not going to be very happy! In the long run, you're much better off keeping them apart even if you have to divide the space in half.