TFO meet Petunia my new Leopard Tortoise

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
When I inquired about Frumpy my new Eastern box turtle, the owner had asked me if I was interested in her Leopard Tortoise, she advised me that she hadn't yet posted an ad for it because it was sick. It looks to me like a RI she has bubbles from the noise (I will include a picture that the previous owner sent me) The owner did admit that for both the eastern box turtle and the Leopard Tortoise that she didn't feel she was giving them the best care they needed.

Petunia is roughly 3 or 4 years old, and quite small I will double check her shell length but my guess is 6" she has a high dome with some slight pyramiding, she is very active as well.

I have her temps now set to 95 warm side basking 108-110 and cool side 85, I have mixed in coco fiber with the Fur bark she was on. It is helping keep the humidity up. It was dry and dusty could be the reason for the RI or symptoms of the bubbly noise and mucus. My plans are to get her healthy and rehome her unless my other half decides she wants to make room for a large indoor pen as being in Ontario I feel I could have issues keeping her outside.

I soaked her and she seemed just to gulp in the water, and it seemed she took a nap in her soak as well, but it definitely made her feel heavier when I pulled her out.

I will admit my knowledge for Leopard Tortoises is nothing compared to my knowledge of box turtles and aquatic turtles, however, I have done lots of research on many different tortoises over the years and I am confident with a little guidance I can get Petunia back to a healthy Leopard Tortoise, I have dealt with RI in box turtles and from what I read on here its the same with Tortoises increase temps and humidity, new food every day to encourage eating, soaks daily to keep hydrated.

NOW FOR PICTURES !!!!!

vd0e1y.jpg

2eykhzs.jpg

r8zhit.jpg

whimup.jpg

29w2805.jpg

IM PRETTY SURE ITS A GIRL short tail, "u" or "c" shape by the tail. flat plastron

o3dzp.jpg

2vb3bsg.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She does look very dry and with the gulping of the water I'm thinking dehydrated too. Your right about the temps and humidity will sure help too. 80% humidity. She's too small to sex, they all show female. Around 3 years if it's a male it might flash and sometime after that they show some concaving. Hopefully she can stay with you as anyone in Canada getting her is going to have to house her mostly inside. Might as well be you that has some experience.
Good luck oh and get the lip of the water dish level with the substrate so it's easier for her to help herself to the water and self soaking.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
She does look very dry and with the gulping of the water I'm thinking dehydrated too. Your right about the temps and humidity will sure help too. 80% humidity. She's too small to sex, they all show female. Around 3 years if it's a male it might flash and sometime after that they show some concaving. Hopefully she can stay with you as anyone in Canada getting her is going to have to house her mostly inside. Might as well be you that has some experience.
Good luck oh and get the lip of the water dish level with the substrate so it's easier for her to help herself to the water and self soaking.
I will adjust it i assume you mean the sides? Its one of the ramp style dishes but for sure I will dig it in more. Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Better to get a low sided clay saucer. Those ramp ones are dangerous. Get one big enough that she can fit her whole self in it.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Better to get a low sided clay saucer. Those ramp ones are dangerous. Get one big enough that she can fit her whole self in it.
I will next time im at Canadian tire, i want some for my outdoor enclosure for the boc turtles