TFO is flagged from craigslist

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
A while back Cowboy_Ken encouraged us all to create TFO ads on craigslist in our local communities.

I liked the idea and created a pretty cute ad :) I included some fabulous photos from our members and it ran in the community- pet section with no problem for a few weeks. Maybe even months?
Well, today I was notified that my TFO ad was flagged for removal enough times to be deleted. So, I reposted it. It was deleted again within minutes. After some reading up I made some changes to the ad so it was completely within the Terms of Use. I made a new ad in the pet section and another one in the community- group section, since TFO is a group.

Both of the new ads were flagged and removed again. How sad, right?

Either someone in my local area really doesn't like TFO or ....I don't even know what.

Any thoughts??

Here was how my ad looked- since it was deleted you can no longer view it.

Turtle and Tortoise Keepers (Everywhere)

Do you know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?
How do you care for them in captivity?
What should you offer to keep your shelled pet happy?
Don't have any tortoises but want to know more?

Come check out the Tortoise Forum to learn the answers to these questions and more!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/member.php?action=register&referrer=26696

An online community with thousands of members world wide. You can have your questions answered by other hobbyists, experienced keepers, breeders or even vets! You might even be able to help answer the questions of others. It's free to join.

The Tortoise Forum
Ask Questions, Get Answers, Talk Torts!
www.tortoiseforum.org

33c3yav.png

2jfyecx.jpg

9jfzad.jpg

2r6e9gk.jpg

2h2iexl.jpg

xf12pv.jpg

I thought maybe someone was upset that this ad was in the pet section and not offering a pet? So I included a line at the end that said

Interested in adding a tortoise to your family? Visit the Marketplace section to see about adopting a tortoise near you!

Well, it didn't work. The ad was still flagged enough to be deleted :( I'm bummed..

For the record, I did find out that at least 2 of our new members became so from seeing my ad on CL. That was the whole point, right? sheesh :rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heather, I had done the same thing back then with my local CL. If was flagged and deleted by the next day. I tried again and it was not allowed. I have no reason why. I have no clue why. I quite trying. However, I do email most tortoise ads and ask them to check out tortoiseforum.org and to inform whomever adopts/purchases their tort, if they would inform the new owners of tortoiseforum.org.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I had done the same thing back then with my local CL. If was flagged and deleted by the next day. I tried again and it was not allowed. I have no reason why. I have no clue why.

That's so lame Barb.... I just don't get some people and their internet troll lifestyles :rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great ad Heather. I didn't have anything near as fancy. No pics, just plain recommendation to check out tortoiseforum.org and still flagged and deleted.
It think I am going to try it again and see what happens. I am thinking its because we are pushing a forum and CL might think it's too close to all that they do. Just a guess.

Dorrie Siu

I would think because so many were posted all across Craigslist that it was thought to be spam?

edit:

But actually, now that I think of it, it could be flagged from a competitor!! I run a cycling website and there was a guy that was selling stolen bikes (we knew because we saw a couple of bikes on there that were recovered from being stolen) so we all started to flag the ad.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I am thinking its because we are pushing a forum and CL might think it's too close to all that they do. Just a guess.
ooo interesting theory.

Dorrie Siu said:
I would think because so many were posted all across Craigslist that it was thought to be spam?

I don't think enough of us did it... but I'd be curious to know who else did and if they were flagged.

Barb, feel free to copy any of my ad. I'd be curious if it works out there in Chicago.
I should check the dates but I do think mine ran for a few months before the sudden issues today..

Dorrie Siu

Oh just to be clear, we were not competitors to the guy we flagged - we don't sell bikes - we are just a cycling site that hates people who steal bikes.

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you're not allowed to sell pets on criags list. I think you can 'rehome' them and charge a 'rehoming fee', and you can sell the used supplies to go with the rehomed pet, but not the actual pets (though really, I don't really see a big difference... unless they don't want pet breeders on there and only allow people to re-home pets they can't keep?) So it might've been flagged because there were links on some photos to breeders?? Maybe if you try it again with pics that don't have links written on them...

Like I said though, that's just a guess!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have posted several ads, like a heads up, want to raise your tort the right way, blah, blah, blah and they are always flagged. Some are ran longer then others, but I believe all but one has been flagged and deleted.
That leads me to believe its because we are mentioning a forum.
I just posted one. Let's see how long this one goes.

Thanks Heather. I'm not sure I could copy it with my ipad, but I will try and see if that one gets flagged too.

Okay, I was able to copy your ad except the pics. I posted it on CL. I will check it tomorrow and see what has happened. Fingers crossed it stays this time. I was disappointed that we couldn't get the info out last time I tried. However, if Ken did it and not flagged, not sure why ours are

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just posted another ad. And I noticed that I picked up another referral. For the longest time I had 4 and when I went to my CP page to copy the referral link for the ad I see that I now have 5. So I guess my old ad worked!! Whoo-pee!

I used Maggie's tortoise Bob with his open-mouthed squash face, for the picture in the ad.

Is there anyone you can send an email to and ask why your ad is being flagged and deleted?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Come on people. Its Craigslist. You can flag anything for any particular reason you feel fit. Some people patrol the Pet section just to flag adds.

Personally, Craigslist really is not the venue to be doing community outreach. It's the place to advertise your garage sale or sell a car part that has been sitting around on your work bench for a year. Why waste your time and effort on Craigslist when you can start your own organization that you not only control, but get your message to the right audience?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Heather.... Your add is perfect! I can't imagine why anyone who cares for animals would want to delete this.
Maybe too many people don't want buyers educated. They just want an easy sale.
Makes no sense to me.:(

Maverick

5 Year Member
I think if you remove the advertising for the breeders your post would be ok.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is there anyone you can send an email to and ask why your ad is being flagged and deleted?

nah, I wouldn't email them over it... Like Eric said,
Its Craigslist. Some people patrol the Pet section just to flag adds.

But I think it's totally lame...and I wanted to vent it to you guys, my other TFO loving friends :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Team Gomberg said:
A while back Cowboy_Ken encouraged us all to create TFO ads on craigslist in our local communities.

I liked the idea and created a pretty cute ad :) I included some fabulous photos from our members and it ran in the community- pet section with no problem for a few weeks. Maybe even months?
Well, today I was notified that my TFO ad was flagged for removal enough times to be deleted. So, I reposted it. It was deleted again within minutes. After some reading up I made some changes to the ad so it was completely within the Terms of Use. I made a new ad in the pet section and another one in the community- group section, since TFO is a group.

Both of the new ads were flagged and removed again. How sad, right?

Either someone in my local area really doesn't like TFO or ....I don't even know what.

Any thoughts??

Here was how my ad looked- since it was deleted you can no longer view it.

Turtle and Tortoise Keepers (Everywhere)

Do you know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?
How do you care for them in captivity?
What should you offer to keep your shelled pet happy?
Don't have any tortoises but want to know more?

Come check out the Tortoise Forum to learn the answers to these questions and more!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/member.php?action=register&referrer=26696

An online community with thousands of members world wide. You can have your questions answered by other hobbyists, experienced keepers, breeders or even vets! You might even be able to help answer the questions of others. It's free to join.

The Tortoise Forum
Ask Questions, Get Answers, Talk Torts!
www.tortoiseforum.org

33c3yav.png

2jfyecx.jpg

9jfzad.jpg

2r6e9gk.jpg

2h2iexl.jpg

xf12pv.jpg

I thought maybe someone was upset that this ad was in the pet section and not offering a pet? So I included a line at the end that said

Interested in adding a tortoise to your family? Visit the Marketplace section to see about adopting a tortoise near you!

Well, it didn't work. The ad was still flagged enough to be deleted :( I'm bummed..

For the record, I did find out that at least 2 of our new members became so from seeing my ad on CL. That was the whole point, right? sheesh :rolleyes:

You did a great job of putting the photo together in the ad.

Too bad the CL will not allow to post. :(:(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The first thing that came to mind also was if the posting was more of an informational bulletin board type set up vs the breeder advertisement then it may be left up....I mean, if I am looking for help with tortoise care info....I would not be looking for breeders....breeders are the last person that would be unbiased.... and I know I am not the only one that views things that way...I mean, like when you read an ad about how "harmless" vaping is--then read that the ad is promoted by the manufacturer...suddenly losses value.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You guys really think the ad comes across as a breeder advertisement huh? I never saw it that way...

I asked for permission to post each photo I used in the ad. It was kindly hinted at to include the cove info. but with hermannichris, I never heard back from him on if I could use his photo. So, I included his link to sort of watermark it for him.
It was never meant to be advertising for the breeders if that makes sense...
The sole purpose of my ad was to direct people to TFO. Anyone searching to get a turtle or tortoise off CL could find this ad, come to TFO and learn some good stuff.

Well, I put my reference link to compete with Ken for #s lol.... ;) but that was just an added benefit

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im guessing the flaggers think its a breeder due to the pictures..
I found TFO on craigslist.. nothing fancy.. just a few words and a link...
I would wait a while.. and try again.. flaggers come and go..