Texas Tortoise hatchling Enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Coahuila, Mexico
Hi! Today we found a hatchling in the garden, almost the size of a bottle cap, it is a Texan Tortoise. I have some questions of how and where should I keep it, since I have some options.

I have this plastic box which is 8in x13.5in and tall enough, I can seal it with a lid to keep it humid, but I dont think is bug enough to contain a humid hide and hot hide. I will post a photo.

The second obtion is a 36inx 18in×17 glass terrarium with a mesh lid, it is big enough to keep a humid and hot hide, but I think it is too big for the hatchling.

Which should I use? Maybe an enclosure that is between those parameters?

15862841186729067635107499577710.jpg15862841512447301002101331345379.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw geez they're cute at that age! There should be three or four more out there.

I keep babies at 80-85F degrees, day and night, on moist substrate. With lots of plants you won't need a hiding place.

Coahuila, Mexico
Aw geez they're cute at that age! There should be three or four more out there.

I keep babies at 80-85F degrees, day and night, on moist substrate. With lots of plants you won't need a hiding place.
They are always cute!:) We will look for more of them in the afternoon. I will try to get a thermometer and some other plants, I guess you recomend me to settle it in the big terrarium, or what is your opinion? I would like to read it :)

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
What an awesome find!! I personally would use the tank as you can fill it densely with plants, substrate, etc and it would look pretty awesome, it would be easier to watch the baby, and I think the baby might like a little more room to explore.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Okay I think it is the big terrarium then! I have a big heat mat, but what do you recomend me to keep it humid? Or the plants will do the trick?
The plants should do the trick I use small flower pot that's only about 2 and 1/2 in tall it looks more like it's a catch plate for a bigger pot but it's pretty tall anyway it holds dirt and plants and it's about 8 to 10 inches around you can just pour a whole glass of water in with your plants with your substrate mixed around the pot so the top of the pot is ground level to the substrate that way your turtle can graze

Coahuila, Mexico
The plants should do the trick I use small flower pot that's only about 2 and 1/2 in tall it looks more like it's a catch plate for a bigger pot but it's pretty tall anyway it holds dirt and plants and it's about 8 to 10 inches around you can just pour a whole glass of water in with your plants with your substrate mixed around the pot so the top of the pot is ground level to the substrate that way your turtle can graze
ohh okay! that way the water will stay with the plants and keep it more humid, I give it a shot. Sadly I can´t go to home depot right now because of the COVID-19, but will look for some plants, which one do you recommend me? nice enclosure btw! :)

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
ohh okay! that way the water will stay with the plants and keep it more humid, I give it a shot. Sadly I can´t go to home depot right now because of the COVID-19, but will look for some plants, which one do you recommend me? nice enclosure btw! :)
when you go to Home Depot look over by where the clay pots are and they have water dishes that they get set in sometimes you'll see one that looks a couple inches tall not quite a pot but they work great as a shallow pots cuz they're only like two inches and easy to bury in the substrate just keep your plants with the soil in the pot and run your substrate or bark right to the edge of the pot right to the top of it so the plants can hang down for them to easily graze on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200407-213622_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200407-213622_Gallery.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 13

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Do you have weeds out in your yard? Like a little patch of grass with some weeds sticking out of it or some clover they like clovers

Coahuila, Mexico
Do you have weeds out in your yard? Like a little patch of grass with some weeds sticking out of it or some clover they like clovers
Yeah! There are clovers in my garden, I will give him some, right now I gave him nopal chopped in little piece, some flowers and grass, I included the last one because he was trying to bite the box floor.

He hasn't ate, he is only going in circles and tryng to get out of the box. Do you have any tip?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Yeah! There are clovers in my garden, I will give him some, right now I gave him nopal chopped in little piece, some flowers and grass, I included the last one because he was trying to bite the box floor.

He hasn't ate, he is only going in circles and tryng to get out of the box. Do you have any tip?
Well I am new here such as yourself so for a question like that that I'm not sure of I would post it in the Forum Topics and see if someone doesn't comment on it for you

Coahuila, Mexico
Well I am new here such as yourself so for a question like that that I'm not sure of I would post it in the Forum Topics and see if someone doesn't comment on it for you
Update! I will change to the new terrarium probably tomorrow, I will plant the plants today hopefully, and she/he already ate!! The clovers did the trick:) thank you so much

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Update! I will change to the new terrarium probably tomorrow, I will plant the plants today hopefully, and she/he already ate!! The clovers did the trick:) thank you so much
no problem I'm still trying to figure it out myself but I do know they like clovers at least mine does.. and likes collards as well which I grow in my garden I think tonight I'm going to try some cactus flowers we found down the street there is some nice bright yellow and pink flowers

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
also I heard terrariums or aquariums are not recommended because they transfer temperature much more rapidly like if the outside of it aquarium is cool it will affect the inside much more than say something like a plastic tote that you can put a lid over the top and enclose the Heat and the totes are more insulative than conductive

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Sclear plastic. ... but I have the bottom 10 inches or so covered all the way around so it doesn't want to continue through the wall when she's walking around

Attachments

• 20200407_002301.jpg
    20200407_002301.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Coahuila, Mexico
Sclear plastic. ... but I have the bottom 10 inches or so covered all the way around so it doesn't want to continue through the wall when she's walking around
Yeah, I agree with you, the terraruims temperature will be harder to control since its much bigger and has a mesh lid. I will keep the baby in the plastic box for now and look for a bigger one that can hold plants :)

Again, thank you for keeping up with my post!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! Today we found a hatchling in the garden, almost the size of a bottle cap, it is a Texan Tortoise. I have some questions of how and where should I keep it, since I have some options.

I have this plastic box which is 8in x13.5in and tall enough, I can seal it with a lid to keep it humid, but I dont think is bug enough to contain a humid hide and hot hide. I will post a photo.

The second obtion is a 36inx 18in×17 glass terrarium with a mesh lid, it is big enough to keep a humid and hot hide, but I think it is too big for the hatchling.

Which should I use? Maybe an enclosure that is between those parameters?
You can't set up the correct environment in the little plastic tub. You need to use the larger tank and the baby needs a basking lamp on one side so it can warm up. Damp substrate and a closed top should help with the humidity. It is not too big. In fact, it is the minimum size I would recommend.

Care for these is similar to care for Russians, but a bit more emphasis on humidity for a TT.
These should help: