Testudo Seed Mix - How Much Do I Need?

shehick

Location (City and/or State)
Alaska
I am ordering some Testudo Seed Mix from Tortoise Supply and I am not sure how much to order. I'm on a bit of a limited budget atm so I don't want to overorder and have a bunch extra. My enclosure is 6x3ft.

Thank you in advance!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would get a pound. What you don't use right now just put it in an airtight container and it will keep.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well then, just get the least amount the let you get. Get one of the ones that is a mix of different kinds of seeds, either the grazing or broadleaf whichever is right for your type of tortoise.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i bought the 6 ounce broadleaf testudo mix for my redfoot for a 6x3 enclosure and it was wayyy more then enough

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
For one testudo, get the smallest amount you can. That seed mix is very productive and will even reseed itself in the right conditions. (It's a great seed mix, that's one of the reasons you don't need much!)

shehick

Alaska
I will also be purchasing a couple of clover mixes so I will only get the 6 oz. My enclosure is 80-100% humidity and 80-105 depending on the time (80 at night, basking spots and UVB during the day) and place in the enclosure. He is only 3" at the moment (around 5 months old) so it is just as much to add to his enclosure as it is for him to graze.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I will also be purchasing a couple of clover mixes so I will only get the 6 oz. My enclosure is 80-100% humidity and 80-105 depending on the time (80 at night, basking spots and UVB during the day) and place in the enclosure. He is only 3" at the moment (around 5 months old) so it is just as much to add to his enclosure as it is for him to graze.

what type of tortoise and are we talking about growing it indoors?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
@naturalman91 He is a 5 month old (3") leopard tortoise and I live in Alaska, so yes, it will be grown indoors in his enclosure. Pics can be founds here - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-easy-closed-chamber.143195/#post-1341936

i had the exact same enclosure and for warning it will get brittle after a couple years and have to replace the tarp

also your going to need some serious light and look into organic fertilizer like worm castings and stuff i quite using that enclosure and made a wooden one for 2 reasons it got brittle and i noticed the light was brighter when it had something to bounce off and had better spread

shehick

Alaska
In the next year it will be replaced with an adult plywood enclosure, regardless. Not an issue there, $50 well spent while it lasts.

I'm not quite sure why 3 flood lights and a CHE isn't enough in a greenhouse. All of my temps are fine. Also not sure why I would need ferts, I have none in there now and have no issue growing plants including veggies and grasses. I did just buy a few hundred red worms to put in but that was more just because I didn't want to worry about the food he didn't eat. I am just looking for advice on how much seed to buy, my enclosure is perfectly fine. :)