"Testudo Mix"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
For anyone that doesn't already know about it, @TylerStewart and his wife Sarah from https://www.tortoisesupply.com sell a bunch of different tortoise seed mixes. All of them are great. I've grown a bunch of them over several years, but I particularly like the "Testudo Mix". Here is this year's crop after about 5 weeks of growth. The radishes sprout first, but lots of other stuff is coming up under it now. I'm cutting and feeding out tons of it as part of a daily mix.
IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
That is so cool!!! I got the testudo mix thing from carolina pet supply, I don't really like it because the grass and the one other weed (radish) I believe, took over. The grass shouldn't be included. I think I'm gonna get yours next.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your “weed/grass” patch looks great Tom - as expected. But what are trees doing in there, they “look” like the wild sumac (non-poisonous) that grow around here, often in groves.... Keep the updates coming.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
For anyone that doesn't already know about it, @TylerStewart and his wife Sarah from https://www.tortoisesupply.com sell a bunch of different tortoise seed mixes. All of them are great. I've grown a bunch of them over several years, but I particularly like the "Testudo Mix". Here is this year's crop after about 5 weeks of growth. The radishes sprout first, but lots of other stuff is coming up under it now. I'm cutting and feeding out tons of it as part of a daily mix.
View attachment 295927

View attachment 295928
What’s the trick to getting it to grow this large? When I plant to most I can get is 12 inches if I’m lucky.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What’s the trick to getting it to grow this large? When I plant to most I can get is 12 inches if I’m lucky.
Good deep soil. I grow it in 12 inch tall planters or planters on the ground. I add amendments to the soil each year and sometimes fertilizer too.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I bought this and tried it but for some reason the only thing that grows is clover.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought this and tried it but for some reason the only thing that grows is clover.
Mine was 95% radish
I've planted this mix dozens of times and at all times of the year in pots or planters. I find that some seeds do better in some seasons. The clover seems to do better in colder weather (but not freezing), and the radishes seem to explode with grow in mid summer and hot weather.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
Can they ship seed packs to Canada, or do you know of a good Canadian supplier for similar mixes?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I don't know the answer to either question.

@TylerStewart can you ship to Canada?
Right now we aren't shipping to Canada at all, too many shipments get sent back after disappearing for a month, after we have refunded it, or a customer has called their bank and disputed the charge because of it, or they hit the customers with a customs tax bill, and half the customers get mad at us about it. It's just a hassle more often than not, and a money-loser much of the time, so we've stopped shipping to Canada.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
Right now we aren't shipping to Canada at all, too many shipments get sent back after disappearing for a month, after we have refunded it, or a customer has called their bank and disputed the charge because of it, or they hit the customers with a customs tax bill, and half the customers get mad at us about it. It's just a hassle more often than not, and a money-loser much of the time, so we've stopped shipping to Canada.
That's a shame :(
I totally understand though!