Testudo hermanni sexes

DPtortiose

Hallo all,

I've been lizard keeper for quite a number of years and recently decide to take on a small group of tortoises. I've got some experience with sexing lizards like leopard gecko's and monitor lizards, but I can't seem to make much sense of sexing young tortoises. I'm read some very useful posts on sexing tortoise but unfortunately I’ve got no idea if I got it right. Could someone please confirm if I got it right or wrong (preferable why he/she thinks that)?

1e animal (female, because of the short tail and round cloaca)
PIC_0270.JPG PIC_0271.JPG

2e animal: (female short tail and a round cloaca)PIC_0272.JPG PIC_0273.JPG

3e animal (female, again short tail)PIC_0274.JPG PIC_0275.JPG

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your tortoises are much to small/young to know the sexes yet. The majority of baby tortoises all look female until they start getting near to sexual maturity...then it starts to change and you can tell them apart.

If I were forced to GUESS, I'd say the first two are female and the last is male.

DPtortiose

Your tortoises are much to small/young to know the sexes yet. The majority of baby tortoises all look female until they start getting near to sexual maturity...then it starts to change and you can tell them apart.

If I were forced to GUESS, I'd say the first two are female and the last is male.

Thank you, that's very helpfull. How can you tell if you don't mind me asking?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The last one's tail is bigger, carried to the side and the cloaca's shape.