Testudo graeca nabeulensis Growth

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Have you found these humidity sensors to be fairly accurate? I had an Inkbird temp/humidity sensor for a while. While the bluetooth readout/plotting was nice, the humidity measurement varied a lot and never really matched well with an Accurite humidity sensor. I eventually got rid of it.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Have you found these humidity sensors to be fairly accurate? I had an Inkbird temp/humidity sensor for a while. While the bluetooth readout/plotting was nice, the humidity measurement varied a lot and never really matched well with an Accurite humidity sensor. I eventually got rid of it.

I use SensorPush sensors. I find them to be very accurate, within 3% of other digital humidity gauges that I own. They also have great customer service. Recently one sensor died on me 1 month in. I sent the company an email and within 48 hours had a new one shipped to me.

They are pricey though. $50 a sensor, although there is an Amazon sale going on right now with 20% off.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
I've been using the Govee sensors. Here is a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
About $13, so not cheap either but good ratings. I measured the temperature accurately of the temperature with a good thermometer. Its a glass liquid filled one I've had for years and know it is accurate and it matches up the the temps from the Govee, but I don't really have anything for the humidity to check.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
New monthly growth data. I love how the growth between their scutes is jet black instead of the white/cream color I see on my star hatchlings.

8EAEE801-EEA0-4B49-B08D-BD056DCD00DA.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
Nice, looking really good. Can't believe how much yours have grown. Both of mine are just above or below 20% with a few weeks down to just above 10%. What you been feeding? I usually feed wild plantains but getting harder to find so adding Bok Chow, with dandelions, Collard greens, radish greens, and water cress. I usually mix in some dry stuff from the Kapidolo Farms.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Nice, looking really good. Can't believe how much yours have grown. Both of mine are just above or below 20% with a few weeks down to just above 10%. What you been feeding? I usually feed wild plantains but getting harder to find so adding Bok Chow, with dandelions, Collard greens, radish greens, and water cress. I usually mix in some dry stuff from the Kapidolo Farms.

I noticed over the last month that they seem to be more active and eat more after I lowered the amount of time the UVB was on in their tank from 2 hours to 1.

I feed them the same mix that I give to all my species. I started growing weeds indoors via the Kratky Method of hydroponics and am now able to grow more than enough to feed everyone. I cut what I need and then mix in some green leaf lettuce along with a pulverized herb mix/orchard grass I put together and calcium carbonate.

B2569398-A9E5-496A-BD48-370EDBD0BA91_1_105_c.jpegB2569398-A9E5-496A-BD48-370EDBD0BA91_1_105_c.jpeg

F48AA6A4-2CE3-49F2-A705-E3118469F894_1_105_c.jpeg

5B07F283-66E5-400A-AB49-74E715A672D6_1_105_c.jpeg

If your curious about hydroponics I made a thread about it here.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
@lmichaels_22 Have a couple updated pictures of your pair to share?

I notice that as they grow the conspicuous black dot in the center of each scute is coalescing into a more uniform circular/oval shape. Its most noticeable with purple. Really looking forward to when their shells are similar to the juvenile picture on Hermanni Haven.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
All these are from Dec 20 to yesterday.
I changed some Substrate on the 20th and did a little rearranging and it took most of the day for them to readjust to a few moved things, one being I moved a larger hide to their normal place. Timimt is the tort on top the hide
Yesterday, they had a hard time waking up but finely moved out about 10AM.
Sorry, can not get video up, must be too big a file of them munching on Mizuri. They love it but I only feed once a week a few chunks with their greens.

Attachments

• 201220 New Substrate.JPG
    201220 New Substrate.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN2095ed.JPG
    DSCN2095ed.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 24

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
All these are from Dec 20 to yesterday.
I changed some Substrate on the 20th and did a little rearranging and it took most of the day for them to readjust to a few moved things, one being I moved a larger hide to their normal place. Timimt is the tort on top the hide
Yesterday, they had a hard time waking up but finely moved out about 10AM.
Sorry, can not get video up, must be too big a file of them munching on Mizuri. They love it but I only feed once a week a few chunks with their greens.

They looked great, perfectly smooth thus far, awesome job.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Next monthly update. Temperatures are decreasing in the tortoise room with the colder weather and the Greeks have been less active.

Image 1-20-21 at 10.46.jpgIMG_0257.jpegIMG_0256.jpegIMG_0255.jpeg

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
New month, new growth chart. Cooler temps don't seem to bother these guys in terms of weight gain versus my Egyptians, rather interesting...

Image 3-24-21 at 12.04.jpgIMG_0504.jpegIMG_0506.jpegIMG_0505.jpeg

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
New month

Attachments

• Image 4-29-21 at 13.40.jpg
    Image 4-29-21 at 13.40.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 11

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
New month
Lovely to keep a record and see the growth. Green is getting big and my guess is thats a male . Red and purple growing similar. Reds scutes are different look like tears. Enjoy

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Lovely to keep a record and see the growth. Green is getting big and my guess is thats a male . Red and purple growing similar. Reds scutes are different look like tears. Enjoy

Did you notice your males grew faster than your females? Any idea around what weight you could identify their sex?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The shell build and shape are more stocky in the male. Once they are 1.5 to 2 year and over 200g their tail will be the obvious distinction. Basically Femail tail short and stubby versus male longer and bigger.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Today is moving day!

I have been waiting for one of the trio to reach 100 grams before transferring them from the large plastic tubs into a larger, fancy closed chamber setup that I use for my larger animals. They seemed a little freaked for the first hour and then started exploring and snacking. It's going to be a lot easier caring for them with the sliding glass doors!

Still a bit too early to tell sex, but I have my suspicion that Green may be female based on shell form, weight gains and personality. I haven't a clue with Purple and Red, going to have to stay tuned I guess lol.

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

IMG_0917.jpeg

Attachments

• Image 6-30-21 at 14.34.jpg
    Image 6-30-21 at 14.34.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2