Tessa is here!

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So we finally got our tortoise and when my husband picked it up the store was CERTAIN it was a girl, so for now it’s Tessa until we have it confirmed otherwise.

I have some pics and am hoping to get some help with exact species and gender!12C34B28-451C-480F-9994-A31FF29F202D.jpeg 08ED89FD-A7FC-4913-81AE-300E82BF80B9.jpeg 0641424E-CDCC-4B5A-9D73-F4A3B0389581.jpeg B363F6DB-2AB9-4ADB-99A1-765BC67D0D65.jpeg

Violanna

Texas
I believe it is a male Russian tortoise. Wild caught.
It’s not wild caught, it’s sadly captive bred in a puppy mill type situation. But I was almost certain it was male with the curled tail. But the bottom of the shell is flat... so I’m a bit confused.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
It’s not wild caught, it’s sadly captive bred in a puppy mill type situation. But I was almost certain it was male with the curled tail. But the bottom of the shell is flat... so I’m a bit confused.
Not all tortoise species have the concave plastron on the males. The Russian happens to be one of them :)

Very handsome boy you've got there! Congrats!

Violanna

Texas
Not all tortoise species have the concave plastron on the males. The Russian happens to be one of them :)

Very handsome boy you've got there! Congrats!
So for sure a Russian?? Guess I need to research humidity and basking temps and such

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

1. Where was this tortoise purchased from?

Many retailers and breeders will often purchase from outside sources just to meet their quotas. The pronounced top and bottom shell cosmetic wear and tear is what made me believe it to be wild caught. A captive bred dry raised Russian would have less coloring but will often have a more uniformed looking shell. That's mostly from what I'm used to seeing from previously being employed as a small operation pet shop employee as well as being a farm hand in a farm that also raised and sold tortoises on the side. And yes, they were dry raised, long before the ideas of humidity were ever introduced on tortoise forum.

So for sure a Russian?? Guess I need to research humidity and basking temps and such

Yes.

2. Did the pet shop/breeder/retailer seriously try to sell you this tortoise saying it was a Greek tortoise?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL

I believe you got misleading information. I'm almost certain he's wild caught.

Anyways...Yes, it's 100% an adult male Russian Tortoise.

Since he is an adult, humidity isn't as important. Basking temperatures should be around 95 F.

Also, take a look at this care sheet. It should answer any other questions you might have.

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Best,

Thomas

Violanna

Texas
I believe you got misleading information. I'm almost certain he's wild caught.

Anyways...Yes, it's 100% an adult male Russian Tortoise.

Since he is an adult, humidity isn't as important. Basking temperatures should be around 95 F.

Also, take a look at this care sheet. It should answer any other questions you might have.

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Best,

Thomas
Lol I knew not to trust a pet store with anything they said. The funny thing is the employee almost didn’t want to sell to my husband because he didn’t know anything and she tried telling him a bunch of stuff.. from what he told me she was doing her best to upsell everything he doesn’t need :D.

But I’m certain of the puppy mill situation. I bought it from petsmart and researched where they get their tortoises from and how they are bred. They haven’t done wild caught in years.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Definitely a male Russian tort. I really would not believe it was captive born. Looks like a wild caught to me. If it was captive born, it was not taken care of.

Violanna

Texas
Definitely a male Russian tort. I really would not believe it was captive born. Looks like a wild caught to me. If it was captive born, it was not taken care of.
No it was not cared for. From what I’ve researched about the place (I don’t have a name, just anonymous posts from employees) they basically hatch them and sit them in tiny boxes all together completely dark room with a harsh basking light directly over them. The store clerk demanded my husband know to soak him immediately because she hasn’t done it in TWO DAYS! I was furious.... yes he looks dehydrated but that doesn’t mean he needs to be over soaked like that... I’m really glad I have this forum to learn from! We should be seeing the vet this week. And I plan to contact petsmart corporate to see what they say about a tortoise being sold as a Greek female... I think it was all about price.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Lol I knew not to trust a pet store with anything they said. The funny thing is the employee almost didn’t want to sell to my husband because he didn’t know anything and she tried telling him a bunch of stuff.. from what he told me she was doing her best to upsell everything he doesn’t need :D.

But I’m certain of the puppy mill situation. I bought it from petsmart and researched where they get their tortoises from and how they are bred. They haven’t done wild caught in years.

All petsmart and petco tortoises are wild caught. It’s the other animals that come from mills.

Violanna

Texas
I’m curious is the shell deformation something that can be fixed if he is well cared for from now on?

Violanna

Texas
Well the birthday boy is awake and has officially renamed him Rocky!

Violanna

Texas
So we might have to get a second tortoise next year. My 16 month old daughter is absolutely in love!! Both my sons like Rocky and want to touch him but are scared to hold him. But my daughter has been crying at the enclosure for 15 mins because she sees him walking around and she wants to hold him

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So we might have to get a second tortoise next year. My 16 month old daughter is absolutely in love!! Both my sons like Rocky and want to touch him but are scared to hold him. But my daughter has been crying at the enclosure for 15 mins because she sees him walking around and she wants to hold him
Any pics of the enclosure?

Please do not allow your tort to roam around the house. He could - God forbid - hurt himself, swallow something harmful, and so on. Moreover, if he gets used to that, it's going to be hard to keep him in an enclosure.

Violanna

Texas
Any pics of the enclosure?

Please do not allow your tort to roam around the house. He could - God forbid - hurt himself, swallow something harmful, and so on. Moreover, if he gets used to that, it's going to be hard to keep him in an enclosure.
It’s not roaming, he is walking around his enclosure and my daughter is mad I won’t take him out for her. Hard to explain to toddlers that he needs a week or so all to himself to acclimate

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It’s not roaming, he is walking around his enclosure and my daughter is mad I won’t take him out for her. Hard to explain to toddlers that he needs a week or so all to himself to acclimate
Apologies. I misunderstood your post.

Oh yep v hard to explain to children. A friend of mine visited me with her children and one of them wanted to pick up Oli and put him on the floor. I tried to explain that it could harm him. This offended/upset his mother.