Terramycin Eye Ointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
So as I have described in prior posts, Beans will not open her eyes and the only time that I find she does is after being well misted, she will then open them slightly. I have not noticed any kind of discharge when she does open them and I have received a lot of useful information regarding her being placed in a warm soak. I am presently at work and will be doing that ASAP when I get home.

I have done further research online and did find the ointment Terramycin. It is said to clear up basic infections and I am curious if there are further symptoms I should be looking for in my little girl that could indicate an infection.....

I did just purchase her on 2011MAR04 so hope it may be stress related too with being in a new home.

John

5 Year Member
if you live in a part of the world where humidity is very low right now this could be a factor,if the tort was already somewhat dehydrated when you got it an occasional soak will not help try daily soaks and maybe add pedialite too the water,then you need too increase the humidity in the enclosure. john

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When something in the set up is not right (like temps, hydration, diet, shelter, etc...) often the first outward symptom we see is the eye problems that you are describing. Terramyacin might help your symptoms, but it doesn't address the PROBLEM. Take another look at your set-up, temp gradient, lighting, hides, etc... and see if you can figure out what's wrong. Post enclosure pics and details and we all be glad to help.

BTW, are you using one of those coil type florescent bulbs? If so ditch it right away. They have been known to cause major problems in the past, including blindness.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
I just thought of that too! Reading a separate site regarding hibernation! It's like -19 degrees celcius (-2 Fahrenheit) here could that be an indication? Maybe she is still slightly in sleep mode...

And no I am not using a coil bulb... sorry saw that late... My computer is not cooperating and I can't post pics for some reason.... but I will look at the light situation and see what I can't figure out thanks

John

5 Year Member
kendra said:
I just thought of that too! Reading a separate site regarding hibernation! It's like -19 degrees celcius (-2 Fahrenheit) here could that be an indication? Maybe she is still slightly in sleep mode...

And no I am not using a coil bulb... sorry saw that late... My computer is not cooperating and I can't post pics for some reason.... but I will look at the light situation and see what I can't figure out thanks

so whats the humidity where the tortoise is kept? 5%?

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
last I checked it was a little higher... about 10%, just a hair under not sure if my gage is working right it feels more humid in the tank than that. I will be buying a new one tomorrow ... I looked before I left for work and gave her another mist, she again opened her eyes and looked around and started to walk around in my hand.

John

5 Year Member
kendra said:
last I checked it was a little higher... about 10%, just a hair under not sure if my gage is working right it feels more humid in the tank than that. I will be buying a new one tomorrow ... I looked before I left for work and gave her another mist, she again opened her eyes and looked around and started to walk around in my hand.

anything under 50% is gonna be a problem

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Ok I will buy a new gage and see where exactly I am sitting...are misters of foggers a good idea? I know people use them with rainforest set ups or would that be too moist?

I work right next to a pet store so anything I need to pick up that would help let me know and I will get it asap

John

5 Year Member
kendra said:
Ok I will buy a new gage and see where exactly I am sitting...are misters of foggers a good idea? I know people use them with rainforest set ups or would that be too moist?

i don't keep this species so im not sure of the exact humidity levels but as a rule of thumb if it makes your skin and synus dry out its alot worse for the tort.i don,t know what your set up looks like but a household humidifier like you use for kids may work.i would search the forum for threads on this subject,there are several very knowledgeable people here that raise and breed your species. john

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
In maine we get winter humidities of 3-10% quite regularly so I use a fogger (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ADL1SG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) I find these much more robust that the reptile ones out there and with a bit of 1/2 inch hose pipe to deflect the flow they are very flexible.

Terramycin works well if there is an infection int he eye, but if it is humidity they the moisturizing eye drops such as "Systane" are also very helpful in giving some relief, i've used them on redfoots that have been kept in very poor conditions before I got hold of them and they helped the eyes no end.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
so the Systane is just a standard eye drop from what I can tell correct or is there a more particular one I should consider.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you use eye drops or ointment, you are treating the condition. Its much better to find out why the tortoise has the condition in the first place, and treat that instead. because the tortoise opens its eyes after misting, it seems to me it is being kept too dry.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
Systane is a moisturizing eye drop it keeps the surface of the eye moist for a long time around 4 hours (I use it myself as I have a faulty tear duct in my right eye).

Emysemys is right though you need to find out what the underlaying problem is and I suspect, like others, your humidity is too low.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
I will be fixing that immediately! Thank you everyone!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kendra, I think I remember your having a table built and are using something just as a temp enclosure, right? Have you ever said what kind you have it in and how big? Could you cover like half of it with foil or seran wrap or something to help keep in the humidity? How damp do you have the substrate?

I also think I recall your using a fake plants as a hide? I think, especially with humidity problems, you would be so much better off to right now be offering Beans a humid hide. Humid hides are cheap to make from just a small plastic tote/container and something like long sphagnum moss.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
I am using a log hide for her now in her enclosure and will be buying moss today. The one design I found that I want to use was, I believe, actually posted on the forum of course now I can't find it. It was a longer enclosure with a glass front and a separate space with a curved top that was a "quiet room" for the tortoise. Right now she is in a 10 gal until I buy the equipment I need to build it. I have everything printed off I just can't find it online now.

I found it....
Tortoise Forum / Tortoise Topics / Tortoise Enclosures
/ Redfoot Tortoise Table Build Log (and advice seeking :D)!

posted 05-03-2009, 12:59 AM

I really liked the way this one was done and am looking to make some slight changes but will keep a lot the same

also really liked the planted Rainforest design also posted by another member of this site, very cool!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kendra said:
. Right now she is in a 10 gal until I buy the equipment I need to build it.

Right there could be your major problem. A 10 gal isn't big enough for even really a temporary enclosure for I think you said 4" redfoot. You just can't have everything she needs in that small of an area, let alone the difference warm and cooler variances she also needs. It would be better, if perhaps you have a plastic tote around you could use as a temporary enclosure (or buy one).

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Ok I have decided to simply not wait and build the enclosure tomorrow. Its not fair for Beans and I don't want to put her through that.

I need an idea for a liner. The enclosure will be a basically a wooden box so I want to protect the inside from moisture exposure. Any suggestions as to what is the easiest as well as most effective? I intend to go to Michaels to see what I can score for building materials and if I can find plastics that can be used as lining I will do that but I am open to other suggestions.

I am also buying one of those "foggers" from Petcetera for humidity and will use a plastic dome I have as a hide. Someone else said buy the moss to aid in moisture and I shall get that too!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
you should bathe "beans" most days in timid water... ( i did not think u would use "beans" im the guy that give ya the name!)
His Viv/table/tank should be sprayed dripping 4-5 times ....EVERYDAY!
If his eye does not get any better you should search more on the internet about this or if you begin to get ...REALLY WOORRIIEEDD!!
take him/her to the vet-a.s.a.p.
It is good to here there is no discharge from the eye ...which is a g...o...o...d sign .
B.T.W i own a 5 year old redfooted tortoise (LOLA)
Post pics of your tortoise and setup...... (and the eye)
what do you feed him/her.....and what is his/her(s) Substrate?
Thank-you <3

Ok I have decided to simply not wait and build the enclosure tomorrow. Its not fair for Beans and I don't want to put her through that.

I need an idea for a liner. The enclosure will be a basically a wooden box so I want to protect the inside from moisture exposure. Any suggestions as to what is the easiest as well as most effective? I intend to go to Michaels to see what I can score for building materials and if I can find plastics that can be used as lining I will do that but I am open to other suggestions.

I am also buying one of those "foggers" from Petcetera for humidity and will use a plastic dome I have as a hide. Someone else said buy the moss to aid in moisture and I shall get that too!

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Terramycin-Eye-Ointment--24232?page=2#ixzz1FrMd07eU

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats' brilliant you obviously want the best for your tortoise glad to hear and my friend
for his tortoise setup used "pond liner" and ive also soo videos of people where they just gloss the wood! :p

BTW.... I AM A 13YRS OLD BOY FROM BLACKBURN,LANCASHIRE,UK

Status
Not open for further replies.