Temps and lighting

Crowley1103

I have a young sulcata. I've followed the temperature recommendations from the threds on this forum. Ambient temp 80's and basking spot between 100-105. She won't go anywhere near her basking spot and stays in the lower 80 temps. I'm scared my temps are too high for her. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, I'm giving her carrot soaks 2-3x a day for 30-45 minutes because she is still sick :(
Would there be any difference from baby food carrots vs. puréeing carrots in a blender for her soak? I thought maybe fresh carrots might be more beneficial??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The reason for the carrot soaks is:

When a turtle or tortoise stops eating, the first thing that goes wrong with them is the lack of vitamin A. This usually causes the eyes to swell shut, among other symptoms. So, soaking in carrot baby food water or pureed carrot water helps them to get the needed vitamin A back into their systems. Once they have that vitamin it makes them feel better, even though they may still be sick from whatever they were sick from in the beginning. So you have to fix the original problem, cure the original sickness. Carrot baby food soaks are not a cure.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I have a young sulcata. I've followed the temperature recommendations from the threds on this forum. Ambient temp 80's and basking spot between 100-105. She won't go anywhere near her basking spot and stays in the lower 80 temps. I'm scared my temps are too high for her. Has anyone had this problem?
If your tort were healthy this wouldn't be a problem . It is called "thermoregulation" and is the reason for a variety of temps within your enclosure. Simply explained reptiles will go where they are comfortable , if they want to be warmer they bask , if they want to be cooler they go to that end !
This is why a lot of folks use what is called a "hospital tank" to keep a sick tort a bit warmer . It is just a small maybe 5 gal. aquarium. Hope that helps .

Crowley1103

If your tort were healthy this wouldn't be a problem . It is called "thermoregulation" and is the reason for a variety of temps within your enclosure. Simply explained reptiles will go where they are comfortable , if they want to be warmer they bask , if they want to be cooler they go to that end !
This is why a lot of folks use what is called a "hospital tank" to keep a sick tort a bit warmer . It is just a small maybe 5 gal. aquarium. Hope that helps .
Makes sense. She is not healthy. I got her a month ago and I didn't think she was in good shape when I got her but I'm not an experienced tortoise owner. She's my first one. After about a week I took her to the vet, they started fluids and tube feeding, and at home I'm doing carrot baths. After reading Tom's threads I'm scared she may have the hatchling failure syndrome. I know there's not much more I can do but wait and see if she's the small percent that pull thru. It's heartbreaking...

Crowley1103

The reason for the carrot soaks is:

When a turtle or tortoise stops eating, the first thing that goes wrong with them is the lack of vitamin A. This usually causes the eyes to swell shut, among other symptoms. So, soaking in carrot baby food water or pureed carrot water helps them to get the needed vitamin A back into their systems. Once they have that vitamin it makes them feel better, even though they may still be sick from whatever they were sick from in the beginning. So you have to fix the original problem, cure the original sickness. Carrot baby food soaks are not a cure.
I know the carrot soaks won't cure her. I'm only hoping they help keep her alive thru her tube feedings and other vet visits so maybe she can pull thru. Thank you.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Sometimes give him his own time is good too. too much people / you looking at him make him afraid. you can watch him at a distance.