Temporary Outdoor Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I'm going to be moving in the next 6 months or so I didn't want to set up a permanent tort yard and then have to leave it. This is my solution for letting my little guys soak up some summer sun and eat some tasty outside plants securely. They still have a big tub indoors for night and cool days (well monsoon days, we haven't really had any cool days for a couple months).

I bought it on Amazon and I think it was billed for little dogs and cats (? that's what it said). Its actually really sturdy all of the hinge pins are about a foot longer than they need to be to hold the sides together so you push them into the dirt a viola a stake at every corner. I dont think I would use it just out in a lawn on its own but inside the pool fence its really safe.

This is from right after I put them in there. I thought I might have to weave something through the bottom so they couldn't see out but they stopped trying to get out after a day or so.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
My only suggestion would be to add a few places for them to hide and some shade for them to cool down and get out of the sun when they want to.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
jtrux said:
I would consider staking it down.

Did you overlook this:

ShadowRancher said:
Its actually really sturdy all of the hinge pins are about a foot longer than they need to be to hold the sides together so you push them into the dirt a viola a stake at every corner. I dont think I would use it just out in a lawn on its own but inside the pool fence its really safe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You would be amazed at how sturdy they are. I used one that looked way less sturdy then that one, it was called a puppy play pen, when I was breeding. A whole litter, 6 pups, couldn't knock it over. I would add some shade and a water saucer to it though.

Oh, and mine didn't get staked down.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
OCTortoiseGuy said:
My only suggestion would be to add a few places for them to hide and some shade for them to cool down and get out of the sun when they want to.

They are only out when someone is home (my mom is a school teacher so she's been baby sitting) and I moved it closer to the bush you see on the left and they get shade from it or the gazebo at all times. The reason you don't see shade lines in the pics is because it was overcast and about to rain when I took these.

jaizei said:
jtrux said:
I would consider staking it down.

Did you overlook this:

ShadowRancher said:
Its actually really sturdy all of the hinge pins are about a foot longer than they need to be to hold the sides together so you push them into the dirt a viola a stake at every corner. I dont think I would use it just out in a lawn on its own but inside the pool fence its really safe.

Yup! ;) its :really: staked down

wellington said:
You would be amazed at how sturdy they are. I used one that looked way less sturdy then that one, it was called a puppy play pen, when I was breeding. A whole litter, 6 pups, couldn't knock it over. I would add some shade and a water saucer to it though.

Oh, and mine didn't get staked down.

I know...I was sort of skeptical when I ordered it but I was really impressed. The dogs cant get into the pool area but I don't think they could knock it down even given the chance. The only thing I'll probably have to do is spray it down with a coat of rust-o-leum...the joints are getting a little rust.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would attack some thin boards about a foot tall across the btm of each panel. When I used a door pen fr a temp outdoor enclosure for my torts they would constant stick their head it and try to crawl through the bars which was I'm impossible and it was just pitiful to watch lol.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very nice....I was going to mention the open top but then read that you only have them out when you (or Mom) was with them...so all good on that....:D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
ascott said:
Very nice....I was going to mention the open top but then read that you only have them out when you (or Mom) was with them...so all good on that....:D

yup! It's right next to the back porch which is practically our living room in the summer so they are never alone :)

theelectraco said:
I would attack some thin boards about a foot tall across the btm of each panel. When I used a door pen fr a temp outdoor enclosure for my torts they would constant stick their head it and try to crawl through the bars which was I'm impossible and it was just pitiful to watch lol.

I was worried about that at first and thought about adding a visual block but they stopped pretty quickly and I haven't noticed a resurgence of the behavior. If it starts I'll add something.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
ascott said:

yup! It's right next to the back porch which is practically our living room in the summer so they are never alone :)

theelectraco said:

I was worried about that at first and thought about adding a visual block but they stopped pretty quickly and I haven't noticed a resurgence of the behavior. If it starts I'll add something.

Just realized the amount of typos on my statement. Geesh! Lol

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
My thoughts exactly! You know how those red foots jump! LOL
WalterSulcata said:
I would be a little concerned that maybe the little guys might get over the top. lol..

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have done the same thing, for the same reason. We will be moving to FL in the next year or so.
I used to show dogs and have an abundance of crates and 'expens' sitting around. So I took one of my expens and staked it down. Then tie wrapped a top made from anothrr crate. I had a big clay flower pot that got broken. So I flipped it as a little house, plus a step stool for an open air shadey hide.
Here are pics:

Ann from CT

Attachments

• 1374704622702.jpg
    1374704622702.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 1374704648487.jpg
    1374704648487.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 45

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
I’m just curious as a newbie, why do you have the cage covered on the top when it is that high.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Temporary Outdoor Pen

WalterSulcata said:
I’m just curious as a newbie, why do you have the cage covered on the top when it is that high.

This keeps other animals that might want to eat the turtles out of the pens.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Exactly, Heather. I live in the country and you just never know what might wander thru. I do have an old barn cat. I doubt he would bother, but no chances. I want to put a wooden border around the bottom perimeter as well. The torts often stick their heads out and that is a concern if something does come around. I only put them out if we are home. But I have had foxes take my chickens when I was working right there in the barnyard!
As a newbie, I am shocked that so many tort owners can have these completely open tortoise yards. Raccoons are artful predators and occupy cities and suburbs, as well as the woods. Is this kind of predation not a concern?
Moving to FL, I am not sure what kind of set up I can plan for. I just found out the seller of our new house recently had a couple of 2-3' gators removed from the small pond in the front yard. Whaat!? This place is NOT on any water system. There are creeks nearby. Maybe 1/2 mile away. =(
I also wonder if snakes are ever a threat.
Maybe some of the FL tort keepers can inform me of any specific concerns. I will have plenty of questions once we move, I am sure.
Ann from CT

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
I’m one of those peeps with an open tortoise yards. So maybe I need to reconsider, but was under the impression they are realatively safe. I’m trying to think of any predators, but can’t at the moment. I have small snakes and lizards.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Assuming Sulcatas can handle themselves against most predators!

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.