Temporary outdoor enclosure- Russian Tortoise

mckmsto

Location (City and/or State)
Kaysville, Utah
I live in Utah, where the climate is only suitable for my Russian to be outside from about April-August. He has an indoor setup that I intend to keep him in at night, but I'd like him to spend at least part of his day outside when the weather allows it. Any ideas for a some-what easy set up that can either survive the winter or be easily stored away during winter months? I appreciate any comments and ideas. Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I live in Utah, where the climate is only suitable for my Russian to be outside from about April-August. He has an indoor setup that I intend to keep him in at night, but I'd like him to spend at least part of his day outside when the weather allows it. Any ideas for a some-what easy set up that can either survive the winter or be easily stored away during winter months? I appreciate any comments and ideas. Thanks!
Hi and welcome.
I have a leopard in the UK and he has to live indoors all year, but I do make an outdoor enclosure for the summer so that when it's warm enough he can have some real uvb. I just fence off an area which has grass clover and dandies growing in it. I never leave him out if I am not at home, I am always popping out to keep an eye on him.

You can buy rabbit run type of enclosures which would have a covered top - ideal for protection from predators, but you would need to block the sides with some sort of a sight barrier so that your tort doesn't spend all his time trying to get through the wire sides. I believe Russians are pretty good climbers and diggers, so you'll need to take that into account.
For supervised outside time some people use kiddie paddling pools.

If you have a look at the Enclosures thread you'll find some great ideas.