Temporary Outdoor Enclosure Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So as things have gotten pretty busy here I haven't been able to really start Thor's outdoor enclosure design. As we get a winter here, I can't start it anyways!

So I have a few questions.

I was thinking about doing a temporary enclosure for this summer, since he's only like 3" anyways haha. His final enclosure will be more like an 8x12 ft, possible bigger, but havn't decided.

I am using the seed mix from carolina supply. I was wondering how long it would take for the grass/weed mix to grow before he wouldn't be able to kill it all off, sort of like the grasses outside. Where he can walk on it, eat some things and not completely destroy by walking and eating it. Are we talking months, years? Keep in mind he's only 10-11 months old and a Leopard tortoise.

Or my other option is to alternate. It's going to be a 6x3ft outdoor enclosure (the temp one). So I was thinking of this. Having only 3x3 of it available at all times. And then starting to grow things early spring on 1 side, and then 2 weeks after that, start the other side. Then I wouldn't put him in there until the first side had been growing for about a month. And once he finished that one, bring him to the other side and re-seed the first side.

Eventually (with at least the bigger enclosure). Is to have the grasses/weeds really established so I don't have to completely re-seed each year, sort of like my lawn. Luckily he is small and won't need the huge enclosure for a few years yet, so with the big one I have time to grow it in fully.

Any suggestions or comments would be great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never been able to keep up with a growing tortoise in any size pen. Every time I've tried, the tortoises far out pace the weeds/grasses. I had two 3 inch sullies in a 30'x9' pen and they mowed it down to bare dirt in a couple of weeks.

BTW, I think its great that you are doing outdoor pens. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The seed mixture that CPS sells is very fresh and sprouts quickly. It is best to allow it to go to seed before the animals are put on it, that will ensure re-growth of the plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.