Temporary indoor enclosure

Jazenami

Hi, I've had my russian for about 2 and a half years and I had him in a glass aquarium for all of that time under petco's suggestion. But I have noticed him being a little lethargic lately and I started reading up on torts and how to make them happy with their environment and I found I did not have adequate space for him. So yesterday I set about moving him to a larger space temporarily until I can make something nicer for inside. Is this ok to have as a temporary enclosure? This pool was taking up space in our garage (our neighbors chucked it over the fence when they left and we don't like to throw free things away). He is so much happier and energetic!
Mostly I'm just wondering if anything jumps out to any of you seasoned tort owners as being a huge no no. The lamps are on the heat resistant screen top that was on his aquarium so you can see how much more room he has. The substrate is humid and night temps in our house go down to 62 degrees. I was worried about leaving him like that over night because usually he burrowed in his glass aquarium but he burrowed again and perked right up when I turned the lights on this morning.
I'm thinking of doing something with storage tubs in the near future to make a better environment for him. At the moment my husband and I share a car so I can't go out during the day and by the time he gets home it's time to get my 5 month old ready for bed (no he is not crawling yet so he won't be anywhere near this tort) :)
Thanks in advance!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the screen might be blocking beneficial light.. looks like a good size Russian.. they are escape artists, so make sure he cant climb the walls.
as for a new enclosure.. outside if you can, if not.. use a old bookcase. lay is down and line it, few inches of dirt.. some people use a sheet of plywood for backing to make it stronger..
Id put more plants in this one.. pansies, petunias, spider plant...

Jazenami

Laura said:
the screen might be blocking beneficial light.. looks like a good size Russian.. they are escape artists, so make sure he cant climb the walls.
as for a new enclosure.. outside if you can, if not.. use a old bookcase. lay is down and line it, few inches of dirt.. some people use a sheet of plywood for backing to make it stronger..
Id put more plants in this one.. pansies, petunias, spider plant...

Thank you all very good info! I put a money tree in there yesterday but he destroyed one of the leaves and I like the plant too much to leave it in there. I will have to go to home depot and pick up a couple plants for him! Should they be planted in the coir or left in separate pots and bury the pots?

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Nice looking tortoise.
Okay but watch out for falling things, since that pool is on the bottom of the floor in a high traffic area, things might fall over and hit the tortoise.

Also high traffic areas could cause your tortoise stress.

Your tortoise is a nice size and could easily climb over the wall since substrate could be dug up in a hill and the plastic sides have a slant, so keep your substrate low.

A nice indoor enclosure and not a closed in enclosure I think you could build a 3' wide X 5' long X 16"' high. Experiment but I seen the material before, in Home Depot they sell Corrugated Plastic Cardboard you can adhere to a wooden frame that's well supported for the walls and floor. Easy clean up and water proof, you can cut in windows and an access door (make sure the door is cut in as high as possible to prevent tortoise falling out a door that was left unlocked and opened) using thick acrylic sheets. Its very light weight and easy to work with.

The trick is to get the frame and supports light strong but light weight. Try using 2"X 2" lumber for frame with 1"X 2" as the support ribs. If you use drywall screws always drill a pilot hole first and double check the screw points are not sticking out of the wood anywhere because they are razor sharp.

Hang your lights and ceramic heaters center in the 3' width to keep heat from plastic sides. The sides are 16"' high which is a decent height distance from the spot bulb to tortoise but the hooks the lights hang on are much higher at 32" so you will need to have the frame come up and across in a few good hanging places at 32" high to hang all your equipment on.

f35df5ef-1e15-4e31-8f51-af40a0d1a4b9_1000.jpg

This is a large Russian so you don't need a closed enclosure anymore but with more work that could be could also be built.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazenami

SaveTheTortoise said:
Nice looking tortoise.
Okay but watch out for falling things, since that pool is on the bottom of the floor in a high traffic area, things might fall over and hit the tortoise.

Also high traffic areas could cause your tortoise stress.

Your tortoise is a nice size and could easily climb over the wall since substrate could be dug up in a hill and the plastic sides have a slant, so keep your substrate low.

A nice indoor enclosure and not a closed in enclosure I think you could build a 3' wide X 5' long X 16"' high. Experiment but I seen the material before, in Home Depot they sell Corrugated Plastic Cardboard you can adhere to a wooden frame that's well supported for the walls and floor. Easy clean up and water proof, you can cut in windows and an access door (make sure the door is cut in as high as possible to prevent tortoise falling out a door that was left unlocked and opened) using thick acrylic sheets. Its very light weight and easy to work with.

The trick is to get the frame and supports light strong but light weight. Try using 2"X 2" lumber for frame with 1"X 2" as the support ribs. If you use drywall screws always drill a pilot hole first and double check the screw points are not sticking out of the wood anywhere because they are razor sharp.

Hang your lights and ceramic heaters center in the 3' width to keep heat from plastic sides. The sides are 16"' high which is a decent height distance from the spot bulb to tortoise but the hooks the lights hang on are much higher at 32" so you will need to have the frame come up and across in a few good hanging places at 32" high to hang all your equipment on.

This is a large Russian so you don't need a closed enclosure anymore but with more work that could be could also be built.

Thanks so much for all the info! I've got a list I'm compiling of all the things I have to do for him, it's getting a little lengthy. Good thing it's tax refund time soon! He is quite the escape artist I wouldn't put it past him to make a hill and try and get out. It's not too high traffic though, he's by the glass back door/dining room table but we never eat at it so he's pretty much alone unless I go bother him lol.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm fearful that the lamp could be knocked over into the enclosure causing damage to the tort or even causing a fire. I would suggest attaching the screen to the pool edge or mount the light to 2 wood stretchers going fully across the top of the pool.

Another concern is the night time temperature. If it's 62 degrees in your home, how cold is it on the floor of your home? I like my Russians night temperature to drop to about 65 degrees. The temperature differential between floor and 4 foot off the floor can be as much as 10 degrees if the floor is not well insulated.

I would suggest either insulate under the pool or elevate the pool. Putting several layers of carpet padding under the pool would help. Or build a platform to elevate the pool. Or just lay a dozen beach towels under the pool.

============================================================

Oh VERY IMPORTANT, one more thing, please get rid of the water container. Those have been known to cause the tortoise to flip and drown. A planter base would work much better. The terra cotta ones that are 8" round and 1" deep.

=============================================================

Jazenami

WillTort2 said:
I'm fearful that the lamp could be knocked over into the enclosure causing damage to the tort or even causing a fire. I would suggest attaching the screen to the pool edge or mount the light to 2 wood stretchers going fully across the top of the pool.

Another concern is the night time temperature. If it's 62 degrees in your home, how cold is it on the floor of your home? I like my Russians night temperature to drop to about 65 degrees. The temperature differential between floor and 4 foot off the floor can be as much as 10 degrees if the floor is not well insulated.

I would suggest either insulate under the pool or elevate the pool. Putting several layers of carpet padding under the pool would help. Or build a platform to elevate the pool. Or just lay a dozen beach towels under the pool.

============================================================

Oh VERY IMPORTANT, one more thing, please get rid of the water container. Those have been known to cause the tortoise to flip and drown. A planter base would work much better. The terra cotta ones that are 8" round and 1" deep.

=============================================================

I have secured the lights, insulated the bottom of the pool and will be returning that water dish asap and replacing it with a terra cotta base this weekend. Thanks!!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'd be wary of putting plants into an enclosure that come from a home improvement store like Home Depot. They can't guarantee what chemicals have been used on the plants. It's better to start growing your own from seed or find people who can give you cuttings from plants they've grown under organic conditions.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am happy for your tortoise. It is awesome you are working on getting an upgrade. I look forward to seeing the final enclosure.

Jazenami

pfara said:
I'd be wary of putting plants into an enclosure that come from a home improvement store like Home Depot. They can't guarantee what chemicals have been used on the plants. It's better to start growing your own from seed or find people who can give you cuttings from plants they've grown under organic conditions.

Oh you're right. I'll get busy planting this spring!!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I think you have a wonderful looking enclosure! I say keep that and just build a better outdoor enclosure! ^_^v