Temporary digs for new African sideneck

Saf1

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Ok so I'm completely new to turtles. I've been doing aquariums for many years and it didn't seem like too big of a leap, but there are definitely some things I need to learn.

My son turns 8 on Sunday and has been begging for a turtle. Decided to get him one. I ordered all the equipment needed and picked it up, only to find that none of the pet stores around have any turtles! Something to do with covid and transporting across state lines. Anyhow, I found one store that had an African sideneck for adoption so I went and checked him out. He'd had shell rot but it's been treated and he's been given a clean bill of health by the vet. Risking having my son's birthday roll around in a few days and an empty turtle tank, I went ahead and adopted this one (also he's just so stinking cute).

So here's the problem...! I can't set up his tank right now without spoiling the surprise for my kiddo. I have a small plastic tub that I've got him in right now, with just about 2 inches of water and a preset heater. I know this is woefully inadequate but I only need to keep him there for a couple of days. Would it be better to keep him in a dry tub and just give him water to drink? Or better to keep him in water? I don't think there's room in the little tub for a basking space or anything so he'd be in water all the time.

Advice? What's the best way to keep a turtle temporarily until I can get his permanent setup together...?

Attachments

• 20201216_130219.jpg
    20201216_130219.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would recommend not keeping him in water 24/7. can you put a rock in there to let him dry off? otherwise he will get some funky shedding and shell rot issues.

Could you put him in some sort of storage bin like a 40g with enough water to swim a bit?

Also did you get an MVB for the basking spot, or a flood bulb + UV strip? Could you tell me what you have?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
this is what I did when I brought home my turtle and I had no idea what to do20151026_202944.jpg
i also did not know they could not eat outside of water at that point so ignore the lettuce on the rock :)

Saf1

Colorado Springs
I would recommend not keeping him in water 24/7. can you put a rock in there to let him dry off? otherwise he will get some funky shedding and shell rot issues.

Could you put him in some sort of storage bin like a 40g with enough water to swim a bit?

Also did you get an MVB for the basking spot, or a flood bulb + UV strip? Could you tell me what you have?

So I have a 40 gallon tank, heat basking lamp and UVB lamp (one of those where both bulbs go in one lamp), a floating turtle doc, a tank filter and the heater. Was hoping to wait until Sunday to set it all up because if I do it now my son will see it (it's going in his room). At the same time I don't want to give him a sick turtle. Shell rot worries me because he had it before. So I guess I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to get him through the next 3 days or so until I can get the big tank up and running. I can definitely look for a rock he can climb up on.

I wasn't planning on housing the guy for several days...I've always seen turtles at the pet store and figured I'd just grab one Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning and that I'd be fine if I had the habitat. Didn't anticipate the supply issue and having to grab one so soon.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So I have a 40 gallon tank, heat basking lamp and UVB lamp (one of those where both bulbs go in one lamp), a floating turtle doc, a tank filter and the heater. Was hoping to wait until Sunday to set it all up because if I do it now my son will see it (it's going in his room). At the same time I don't want to give him a sick turtle. Shell rot worries me because he had it before. So I guess I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to get him through the next 3 days or so until I can get the big tank up and running. I can definitely look for a rock he can climb up on.

I wasn't planning on housing the guy for several days...I've always seen turtles at the pet store and figured I'd just grab one Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning and that I'd be fine if I had the habitat. Didn't anticipate the supply issue and having to grab one so soon.

it happens! for now I think you're good as long as you have your bin of water, a rock, and a basking light for heat. I don't know much about the African sideneck but I assume it needs to be kept in a fairly warm environment being from Africa...but if you have little water, the basking spot should warm up the bin just fine.

also be careful because mine at least likes to climb/escape out of his travel bin if he can.

Saf1

Colorado Springs
it happens! for now I think you're good as long as you have your bin of water, a rock, and a basking light for heat. I don't know much about the African sideneck but I assume it needs to be kept in a fairly warm environment being from Africa...but if you have little water, the basking spot should warm up the bin just fine.

also be careful because mine at least likes to climb/escape out of his travel bin if he can.

I was planning on a red ear slider because that's what the pet stores usually have. When the staff there told me they had a sideneck for adoption but nothing for sale I asked if the equipment I got would work and they said it would. I just found a big rock outside so once it warms up a bit I'll put it in the tub. The plastic tub is in a bathtub, so hopefully if he escapes he won't get too far!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I was planning on a red ear slider because that's what the pet stores usually have. When the staff there told me they had a sideneck for adoption but nothing for sale I asked if the equipment I got would work and they said it would. I just found a big rock outside so once it warms up a bit I'll put it in the tub. The plastic tub is in a bathtub, so hopefully if he escapes he won't get too far!

Just for some extra info I found this: https://theturtleroom.org/species-profiles/pelusios-castaneus-castaneus/

has some care info, and apparently they are also called African Mud Turtles, so I learned something today

Saf1

Colorado Springs
Wow mud turtle that's a terrible name for such a cute little guy ?. The pet store named him Squirtle so I'll just call him that until my son settles on a permanent name. Which will no doubt be after a dinosaur. Thank you for the resource I definitely need to read up!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think African side necks are ADORABLE! If it didn't already have 2 turtles, I would probably get one!:D