Temperatures for a Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm in the process of setting up a table for the Hermanns I'm getting in a couple of days, and I'm finding a lot of conflicting information in various places about temperatures. He's about a year old, and this is for his indoor table. He will get outside when possible, but a combination of my girlfriend and I are being out all day and the unpredictable Scottish weather means he needs an indoor home that's up to the job. He'll be on a soil/coco coir mix for his substrate, with some rocks dotted around and a piece of slate under his lamp (125W solar glo MVB, about 12" above the table). One end of the table is covered completely, and there's a couple of plants and a half log hide for shelter.

The temperatures I've got so far are:

Cool end (in the hide): ~22*C. It's wavered a little, but not gone below 21.
Cool end (outside hide): low-mid 20s.
Warm end: ~30*C
Basking spot: High 30s. Peaked at 39*C, which seems too hot according to a lot of stuff I've read. Could that be because of the slate holding a bit too much heat, or because the sensor is touching it?

Humidity-wise, directly under the basking spot is reading 20%, everywhere else is 50-55%. His half log is close to the basking spot, and getting a bit higher (mid 60s). I know the 20% is at least partly due to being on a solid piece of rock. These were taken on a reasonably warm day, with no central heating on.

Does this sound OK to you guys? I might try removing the slate and seeing if that brings the basking temp down a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.