Temperature Outside Too Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
Hello, I live in North Carolina, lately its been getting colder as we approach winter, it has been in the 60's, I want to allow my new future leopard tortoise to get outside time to bask and graze, but at what temperature should I stop allowing my tortoise to go out. When will he be at risk for getting a chill? I am buying a UVA UVB bulb, and I wil be dusting his food with Ca and D3. Any suggestions please.
Chelsea

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hatchling I wouldn't do under 80, yearling not under 75. That's what I did, plus I followed Toms way, which is in his threads below, you should read. My leopard is 21 months and has be healthy and absolutely no problems, knock on wood:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Highs in the 60's should be just fine for a little outdoors time, even for a hatchling. Just make sure it has plenty of full sun access (along with an area to get out of the sun). When temperatures are that cool, I don't let them outside for more than 30 - 45 minutes.

Do you have a temperature gun? If not, I would suggest investing in one. Even when the temperature is 60 degrees, an area that gets full sun will be a bit warmer than that.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It depends some on the age of your tort. Mine are adults and I will leave them outside at night until the temp drops below 60. I try not to leave them outside if it will be low 60's and raining though. This time of the year I end up bringing them in at night and putting them back outside in the morning.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I pretty much look for a temp of about 70 and above for my hatchlings and youngster. We have sunny spots in Arizona and they do fine. If it got to be much colder then I would do what Neal does and just give them shorter periods outside. Mine always get a warm soak when they come in, so they warm up nicely even if it has been a bit cool.

Watch out for rain and dampness though. Don't want to have them wet and cold.

mrsbyronie

5 Year Member
Hi! We live in nc also and own 3 leopards. It has definitely been getting a lot colder so I try to avoid taking them out if it is below 60. I echo some of the other posts about finding a sunny spot and just keeping them out for a short time period! I find afternoon around 3:00 there is usually a warm enough sunny spot for them to get a little outside time. We battled respiratory infections last winter and it was very unpleasant so I definitely recommend plenty of heat sources and sunlight sources in their habitat in addition to brief outdoor excursions if weather permits! Mercury vapor bulbs are a must here! Good luck! What part of the state are you located? There is a fantastic vet in the Raleigh area if you ever need one!

Status
Not open for further replies.