Temperature for Tony

Tony The Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Stowmarket
Hello everyone,

So, Tony is a Sulcata who lives outdoors. He has a lovely house and the run of the garden during the day.
He has a UV basking daytime light and a ceramic lamp (with pulse thermostat) for nighttime.

My question is what temperature should the ceramic lamp thermostat be set to now the weather is turning colder ? I currently have it set to 27°C.
I have a thermometer in the cooler area of the house and that is registering around 16°C at night (the thermometer is some distance from the ceramic bulb and higher than the bulb).

I checked on him last night and he wasn't under his ceramic bulb so I figured he was warm enough but I'm a bit of a worrier so would like some advice to confirm my current set up is OK..

Many thanks (photo of my lovely boy is just to show him off ?)

Attachments

• 20211111_130332.jpg
    20211111_130332.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
80F a single che will not keep a sulcata warm enough in colder winter temps. Take a look at Tom's night box threads. He along with many of us, use oil filled portable radiator heaters.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think our climate is too wet and cold for African torts to live outside during the winter,
Is his house well insulated?
Have a look at the Sulcata caresheet I linked in your Readigrass thread for the temps Tony needs.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello everyone,

So, Tony is a Sulcata who lives outdoors. He has a lovely house and the run of the garden during the day.
He has a UV basking daytime light and a ceramic lamp (with pulse thermostat) for nighttime.

My question is what temperature should the ceramic lamp thermostat be set to now the weather is turning colder ? I currently have it set to 27°C.
I have a thermometer in the cooler area of the house and that is registering around 16°C at night (the thermometer is some distance from the ceramic bulb and higher than the bulb).

I checked on him last night and he wasn't under his ceramic bulb so I figured he was warm enough but I'm a bit of a worrier so would like some advice to confirm my current set up is OK..

Many thanks (photo of my lovely boy is just to show him off ?)
Please read this thread I made for exactly this question:

And this one: