Temperature Change in the Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfinab

5 Year Member
Hello All. I have moved my 3 RF tortoises into the garage for the winter. I have have an enclosure that is large and elevated from the cold cement but had a few questions.

I have two hot spots in the cage around 90 degrees but the temp outside of the hot spots are 70 degrees (day time) and at night it can get around the low 60s or even high fifties througout the entire cage.

During the day, is it okay that have the "cool zones" reach these temps? And at night, the same question is posed.

Besides adding more heat lamps, do you have any other recommendations for keeping the enclosure warmer? I thought about putting a space heater out there, or even putting a sheet over the enclosure at night to hold any remaining heat. What do you think?

If the female needs to lay eggs as well, will she do so or hold eggs due to the lower tempatures?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Tempature Change in the Winter

I wouldn't think that cool of temps would be good, as RF are suppose to have quite a bit of humidity. Cold and humid equals sick. However, mainly giving you a bump as I don't raise them. See if others join in. If not send N2TORTS a pm and ask him. He raises them.

surfinab

5 Year Member
RE: Tempature Change in the Winter

Thanks!

wellington said:
I wouldn't think that cool of temps would be good, as RF are suppose to have quite a bit of humidity. Cold and humid equals sick. However, mainly giving you a bump as I don't raise them. See if others join in. If not send N2TORTS a pm and ask him. He raises them.

Status
Not open for further replies.