Temperature at night for 4mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

5 Year Member
I was wondering what the night time temperature for my little 4 month Sulcata should be? I am a poor college kid so the place stays at about 68 all the time. His enclosure is 80 on the cool side during the day and 106 directly under the basking light. But at night it drops to 68 sometimes lower due to humidity, I was wondering if this is safe? If it isn't what type of heating element should I get? CHE or a substrate heater?

EKLC

5 Year Member
I have a covered enclosure with a ceramic heat emitter. Keeps it around 82 at night. When its very cold in my house I put a blanket over the whole enclosure. 68 is cold for the little guy

M

Maggie Cummings

Because you are a poor college kid just go get a regular fixture and use a black light bulb. You can get the fixture at Kmart for about $9 and the black light bulbs for $4 that will keep him warm enough and you will still have some money...:)

steven

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Because you are a poor college kid just go get a regular fixture and use a black light bulb. You can get the fixture at Kmart for about $9 and the black light bulbs for $4 that will keep him warm enough and you will still have some money...:)

Hahah, Well i was talking about the electricity bill :/ but thanks for the consideration, I have an extra fixture so I can use that. Is a black light good enough for the heat he needs?

steven

5 Year Member
okay cool, I will probably end up doing that? what kind of wattage are we looking at and any brand? do i find it at a pet store or walmart?

EKLC

5 Year Member
depends on the enclosure. For my 20 gallon enclosure, it takes about 60 W to bring it to 80, but mine is enclosed.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
i have a pretty big enclosure for their size, and a 75 watt bulb does well to warm one spot, the basking area is around 100 while the surrounding area is 80 which is very good in my opinion, what size is your enclosure?

aco43

5 Year Member
Nottingham UK
Its getting colder over here in UK and e have just taken in two 13 month old Sully's. I reckon temp is dropping to circa 60 at night in our house which I am concerned is too cold for them. Was going to get a ceramic emitter today but would a black bulb still do the job?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I had a 150 watt black light bulb I got at a pet store and it worked very well for Cooper. It was about $8 and I used a dome reflective fixture with a ceramic socket cause plastic ones melt with bulbs that are to high of wattage. Good luck!

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Go with the black light suggestion, thats what I use and although room temps in his room drop well below 68 his sleep spot stays at 82-84

Status
Not open for further replies.