Tell me what light setup you have! Need new lighting in my tank..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beach
I need ideas and most recommended lighting products for my fairly new turtle tank. I want to upgrade and get a good setup going,but i don't know what to go with...or how many watts I should use.

So,,,
For uvb, Should I go with the Zoo Med ReptiSun "10.0" Compact Fluorescent bulb or the "5.0" version?
And what about UVA or heat bulbs?

Is the "mini deep dome light fixture" from petsmart worth it?
or should I go with two separate clamp lamps?

Also I want a good night time bulb..any suggestions? (nothing too cheap-o)

Tell me what you guys have or suggest!

Thanks,
Cyndi

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Okay never get the compact fluorescent, they will burn the retinas out of your tortoises eyes....thus youll have a blind turtle. You need to get either the long tube UVB flourescent bulbs...or a mercury vapor UVB?UVA bulb by reptisun...or by exo terra, i personally went with the exo terra 125w MVB....and as for heat bulbs. I got a ceramic heat bulb, they last for years....and it's relatively cheap. As for 10.0 on the long tube fluorescents thats more for your desert torts...and 5.0 is for your tropical species.

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Beach
Thanks for the info!
I have a diamondback terrapin (about 2 inches long),so I don't think he's a desert tort,lol.

Any body else wanna share what they have, or recommend for my little turtle?
pics are welcomed!
Thanks,
Cyndi.

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Can you get Arcadia equipment where you are? Best lighting on the market. Either an Arcadia D3 Basking bulb (MVB) or their new T5 tube range - T5 tube, T5 starter and T5 reflector.

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Beach
Yeah, I've actually been emailing the guy about them! I think his name is Todd.
I didn't see the Arcadia basking "bulbs" though... Just the flo. tube kind... I'm scared to buy it though, cause I'm affriad the h.o will make my electric bill go sky high..
Does anyone elese know about these bulbs?

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Beach
Oooh, ok..gotcha..
Thanks for the link,
Do you think a 100 watt bulb would be too much though? I'm not really sure and I don't wanna cook my turtle. Lol

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Cyndij33 said:
Do you think a 100 watt bulb would be too much though? I'm not really sure and I don't wanna cook my turtle. Lol

Only a thermometer/temperature gun will tell what you need to know.

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Beach
Are the Arcadia flo. lights compatable with any kind of lighting fixture?

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Cyndij33 said:
Are the Arcadia flo. lights compatable with any kind of lighting fixture?

No lighting will beat the power of the sun so unless you trap the turtle under the light somehow it shouldn't cook.

The T5 arcadia lights need to be used with a T5 unit. I think a few other companies make units. As long as the wattage is correct you should be able to use any. Arcadia's own units have waterproof connectors though where others may not.

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Beach
should i do a 48' arcadia t8 d3 6% flo. light, with a regular heat bulb? Or do I do the arcadia 100 watt d3 basking bulb with a regular flo strip light..

I'm debating between these two options..I don't know which one would be better...

Cyndij33

5 Year Member
Beach
I'm not sure about putting a 48 inch UVB bulb on a 48 inch long tank.. Ive read that they should be able to get out of the uv rays sometimes and it should only cover half the tank...
Also the same thing with basking, they should be able to get out of the uv and bask in only heat when they want to..
Has anyone else read the same thing?

This is were my debating gets caught at a standstill....

Status
Not open for further replies.