teachers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

alright so i would like to share my frustration with you guys if you dont mind. (this is not to offend anyone) this is just one teacher. but ok so my statistics teacher has been emailing my rents about my grades. well he says its BASIC..... yeah NO!!!! i mean in the beginnig it was pretty basic but now that were further into the semester he is making things much harder. maybe its basic to him since hes a stats major. but to just about everyone in the class it is not basic at all! and so on the homework he will just put a check. he wont tell you what you got wrong but he will give you full credit which is good in my case ;) but to make things helpful he should atleast mark on the paper what i got wrong. RIGHT??? it just irritates me and he emails my parents and says that its basic and i should know it all but i dont! and neither does anyone else! so he is making me feel like the bad guy. im sorry but i had to relieve myself. :) deep breath... in. and. out. :) not all teachers are like this of course cause i love all of my other teachers. but him. i feel like he isnt being fair. :( oh and i burnt my tounge today. i had to tell someone heheh :)

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
Isn't there a teacher on this forum. And I've had teachers before that give you homework then you turn it in and she grades it and then teaches us the lesson so she marks us down a lot on the homework before she teaches us it I think I had a d in homework for math that year because of this.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Aww. Have you talked to your teacher and parents about all this? You might find that helps you sort this problem out.
At least your maths teacher can actually do maths.
One of mine... well we use to correct her on simple sums, never mind the harder stuff! She was rubbish! I remember getting sent out of class once for correcting her and i was so angry about it because she singled me out even though the whole class was telling her she'd got the answer wrong, that i accidently broke the door handle off the door and locked the whole class in the room! OOPS! However when finally the door got opened the head of maths department stood up for me and eventually that teacher got fired! It took a lot of parents, students and staff to complain about her before that happened though!

But anyway :) I hope you get sorted soon.

ewam said:
Isn't there a teacher on this forum. And I've had teachers before that give you homework then you turn it in and she grades it and then teaches us the lesson so she marks us down a lot on the homework before she teaches us it I think I had a d in homework for math that year because of this.

Yes there is a couple.
One in particular has an obsession with Turkey Twizzlers ;) HAHA!
(Sorry couldn't resist that one!)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I am that Turkey Twizzler lovin' teacher but I'm afraid that I won't be much help to you with Statistics. I'm a middle school English teacher, but I did have to take Statistics as an undergraduate in college. What level are you taking it at? (MS, HS, College?) If you are a college student then I personally feel that your professor has NO BUSINESS emailing your parents unless there has been some agreement between you, your parents, & the professor that he will send them "progress reports" on your grade. When I give my students homework assignments I try to leave them open ended & open for discussion. I want them to be challenged not tricked! I've had some brilliant students that really opened my mind & made me see things in a different perspective. Your professor sounds like he may be just a tad on the arrogant side, especially if he is telling you that the course work is easy and the class is struggling with it. It is fair to say that every student will not "get it", but if the majority of the class isn't getting it than there is a problem with the way that particular teacher is presenting his material to the class. I feel bad for you, and for any student that has to take this class with this teacher. If you are in college see if you can find the same class being taught by another professor--that will usually help. If you're in MS/HS then sadly you're probably going to have to ride it out. Try to keep your head up and get what you can out of it. Good luck to you!
PS-Steph send this fine fellow some Turkey Twizzlers to cheer him up will ya! ;)

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Even i can't get hold of Turkey Twizzlers anymore :( Sad times. I'll send them if i ever manage to get hold of some!

Anthony I've never asked. What do you subject do you teach?
It's not maths, so i'm taking a wild guess at English?!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Ya see Steph, now I have to go and get all teacher on you! ;) Didn't you read my last post? Do I have to lay some reading comprehension laws down for you?? I mentioned in the last post that I taught middle school English. I think all those Turkey Twizzlers have scrambled your brain! :):):)

stephiiberrybean said:
Even i can't get hold of Turkey Twizzlers anymore :( Sad times. I'll send them if i ever manage to get hold of some!

Anthony I've never asked. What do you subject do you teach?
It's not maths, so i'm taking a wild guess at English?!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Claire, I'm a teacher too. I'm also a parent and a former high school and college student. Whether or not your teacher should be emailing your parents really depends on your situation. If you are a student in a state university, then he absolutely should not be emailing your parents. They probably even have a policy about it and you would have a legitimate complaint. If you are a student in high school, public or private, they he certainly should be emailing your parents. As a teacher, I have a duty to keep parents informed of progress throughout the grading period so they can do whatever they need to improve the grade (get the kid to study more, etc.) and so they won't be getting a bad surprise when the grades come out. If you are a student in a private college, then check to see if they have a policy about reporting progress to parents. Get a study buddy for your stats class, one that understands it and can explain it to you another way or another time. It will help.
As for calling the class work basic, a couple of years ago I had a little girl in class explain it like this: "We should never say 'It's easy' because it isn't easy for everyone, and you'll make the kids who are having a hard time feel bad." Very much to the point. If the work was really basic, your teacher/prof wouldn't have a job teaching it, would he?

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
AnthonyC said:
Ya see Steph, now I have to go and get all teacher on you! ;) Didn't you read my last post? Do I have to lay some reading comprehension laws down for you?? I mentioned in the last post that I taught middle school English. I think all those Turkey Twizzlers have scrambled your brain! :):):)

Whoops! Excuse me whilst i go clean my glasses! Honestly I did read your post, obviously I just didn't register the English teacher bit :p
Have to say you teach probably the coolest subject :) I love English. My BF studies English at uni! I think the only reason we get on half the time is because we have our heads in books so can't argue! Haha, jk :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My guess is that you are in high school. If this is right then I think it is great that he is in contact with your parents. Now I think your parents need to have a chat with him and say "What can she do do improve, is there a tutoring program at the school and will he PLEASE tell her what she is doing wrong". No offense to math teachers.....but a lot of them just don't get that not everybody thinks the way they do. It comes easy to them so they don't always get that is hard stuff. Good luck!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If it were me, I'd use the textbook and internet to figure it out. The information is there. In the long run it will make you better.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Angi said:
My guess is that you are in high school. If this is right then I think it is great that he is in contact with your parents. Now I think your parents need to have a chat with him and say "What can she do do improve, is there a tutoring program at the school and will he PLEASE tell her what she is doing wrong". No offense to math teachers.....but a lot of them just don't get that not everybody thinks the way they do. It comes easy to them so they don't always get that is hard stuff. Good luck!

I agree with this. You need to find another person to tutor you. Everybody teaches a different way and sometimes you can't learn from somebody who teaches style A, but if your taught by style B, you will understand it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.