Tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
Cfr200 said:
I would not say body art or piercings are becoming more acceptable everywhere a lot of that depends on your location and your job. The problem you will run into is the older people like me who own a business do the hiring and are the customers they might have a different perspective on this.....

I would still follow the rules my mother told me over 30 years ago. It was do not get ones that show when you don't want them to and do not get anyones name. Which in my case meant nothing that show in a short sleeve shirt or while wearing my uniform.

As a guy who spends 80%+ of my time doing everything I can to cover up the tattoos I got over 10 years ago, I agree with this post.

Sleeves are a tough thing to deal with, and were a huge mistake. I gave up all of the "I don't care what The Man thinks, I'm going to express myself however I want" BS years ago. It's crazy how raising a family, providing for children, caring for patients, etc will change your views on something as silly as a tattoo. When a parent at the park gives you that nervous look because you are playing with your child close too their child, you start to realize how decisions about things like body art can effect your life, and the lives of those you care about, in ways you never expected. I don't care what they think about me, but how many times have my kids missed a chance to make a friend at the park because of my tattoos?

Clients, customers, friends, your child's teachers, the parents of the other kids on the soccer team you coach, etc will all judge you no matter what you think. You can easily end up in an uphill battle to "prove" that, despite your tattoos, you really are a nice guy/girl. People often say to me, "Now that I know you I've got to say, you don't seem like the type of person that would get all of those tattoos!". They mean it as a compliment, I'm sure.

I now work in an operating room. I am forced to wear short sleeved scrubs per hospital policy. When I meet my surgeon customers, I am usually in a jacket and tie in their office. It is always a struggle knowing that when I see them in the OR I am going to have to explain my tattoos. All too often, I am greeted with a horrifying look of disgust and disappointment. This is after having spent the previous night worrying about it. (Neurosurgeons tend to be of an older breed!). It is an uphill battle to prove myself to these customers. My competitors use it against me. I've heard the comment in the OR, "Wow is (company x) now involved in a work release program?". Surgeons don't like to be associated with those kinds of comments, and so I am vulnerable to loss of business.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't use drugs of any kind. I don't cheat on my wife or gamble away my paychecks. I have competitors in business who do all of these things, yet none of that shows when you are wearing scrubs! I'm the one getting the strange looks and running against the stream just to catch up to guys who engage in these behaviors all the time.

When I got my tattoos I worked in the field of photography and digital manipulation/restoration. That world was filled with body art. My point is, where you are today may not be where you are tomorrow. You never know where life will take you and you need to be able to adapt. Tattoos can be a difficult thing to manage when making career moves or other life changes.

I'm not against tattoos. I actually quite like them. I don't hate my tattoos, I just wish I could choose when to wear them and when to take them off. People tend to look at you funny when you show up to coach your kids soccer team and you are wearing a long sleeved shirt when it is 90 degrees outside!

18, 21, 25.... I don't think there is any magic age. People change at different points in their life. People change, but tattoos don't.

My suggestion for anyone who wants to get a visible tattoo: print out a picture of the tattoo you want to get and have it laminated. Carry it around with you for one year. Pin it on your shirt. If at any time during that one year, you encounter even a single person or a single situation which makes you want to take the picture off of your shirt...... Reconsider the tattoo or at least the location.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
CtTortoise said:
Cfr200 said:
I would not say body art or piercings are becoming more acceptable everywhere a lot of that depends on your location and your job. The problem you will run into is the older people like me who own a business do the hiring and are the customers they might have a different perspective on this.....

I would still follow the rules my mother told me over 30 years ago. It was do not get ones that show when you don't want them to and do not get anyones name. Which in my case meant nothing that show in a short sleeve shirt or while wearing my uniform.

As a guy who spends 80%+ of my time doing everything I can to cover up the tattoos I got over 10 years ago, I agree with this post.

Sleeves are a tough thing to deal with, and were a huge mistake. I gave up all of the "I don't care what The Man thinks, I'm going to express myself however I want" BS years ago. It's crazy how raising a family, providing for children, caring for patients, etc will change your views on something as silly as a tattoo. When a parent at the park gives you that nervous look because you are playing with your child close too their child, you start to realize how decisions about things like body art can effect your life, and the lives of those you care about, in ways you never expected. I don't care what they think about me, but how many times have my kids missed a chance to make a friend at the park because of my tattoos?

Clients, customers, friends, your child's teachers, the parents of the other kids on the soccer team you coach, etc will all judge you no matter what you think. You can easily end up in an uphill battle to "prove" that, despite your tattoos, you really are a nice guy/girl. People often say to me, "Now that I know you I've got to say, you don't seem like the type of person that would get all of those tattoos!". They mean it as a compliment, I'm sure.

I now work in an operating room. I am forced to wear short sleeved scrubs per hospital policy. When I meet my surgeon customers, I am usually in a jacket and tie in their office. It is always a struggle knowing that when I see them in the OR I am going to have to explain my tattoos. All too often, I am greeted with a horrifying look of disgust and disappointment. This is after having spent the previous night worrying about it. (Neurosurgeons tend to be of an older breed!). It is an uphill battle to prove myself to these customers. My competitors use it against me. I've heard the comment in the OR, "Wow is (company x) now involved in a work release program?". Surgeons don't like to be associated with those kinds of comments, and so I am vulnerable to loss of business.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't use drugs of any kind. I don't cheat on my wife or gamble away my paychecks. I have competitors in business who do all of these things, yet none of that shows when you are wearing scrubs! I'm the one getting the strange looks and running against the stream just to catch up to guys who engage in these behaviors all the time.

When I got my tattoos I worked in the field of photography and digital manipulation/restoration. That world was filled with body art. My point is, where you are today may not be where you are tomorrow. You never know where life will take you and you need to be able to adapt. Tattoos can be a difficult thing to manage when making career moves or other life changes.

I'm not against tattoos. I actually quite like them. I don't hate my tattoos, I just wish I could choose when to wear them and when to take them off. People tend to look at you funny when you show up to coach your kids soccer team and you are wearing a long sleeved shirt when it is 90 degrees outside!

18, 21, 25.... I don't think there is any magic age. People change at different points in their life. People change, but tattoos don't.

My suggestion for anyone who wants to get a visible tattoo: print out a picture of the tattoo you want to get and have it laminated. Carry it around with you for one year. Pin it on your shirt. If at any time during that one year, you encounter even a single person or a single situation which makes you want to take the picture off of your shirt...... Reconsider the tattoo or at least the location.

Great post Rob:) I got the number of a good laser Dr if you want :p

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I spoke to a few guys about 5 years ago. Two in CT and one i was referred to up in Boston. (I forget the name.). As you know, the problem with sleeves is the full coverage. In order to get to an acceptable place for me, I would need to remove everything from my mid bicep to my wrist on my left arm and almost as much on my right. All three doctors said that the time, cost, and ultimately the poor result of the finished outcome would not be worth it and all three said they would not attempt it because of that.

For almost the same amount of money, I'm thinking about having robot arms made. Then I can just switch back and forth depending on the situation! (the robot arms will be Arnold Schwartzeneger size):D

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
coreyc said:

Laser removal hurts and can leave scars. If you have greens or reds they are harder to remove and can cause scarring. I had one removed while I was in the military because the Air Force base near where I was stationed did it for free. Well I had 12 treatments over a year and 95% of my tattoo is gone. The part that had red in it scarred. It is not that easy to just get rid of these things, I know some of the new inks allow easier removal,but just know it hurts far worse getting one removed than putting it on and takes a lot longer.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Cfr200 said:
I know some of the new inks allow easier removal.

As tattoos become more popular, the result will be that more people may eventually want to have them removed. In my opinion, the key is going to be the development of new inks which work in tandem with new removal methods. Unfortunately, current tattoo ink is relatively inexpensive. Improved ink technology which will help facilitate removal will be more expensive.

I see one of two scenarios playing out:
Tattoo artists offer both inks, but will charge more for a "removable" tattoo. Most people getting a tattoo swear they would never even consider the possibility of having it removed, and hence will choose the less expensive, permanent ink.

Or

Tattoo artists will dip into their overhead and only offer new ink technology. Not likely. These artists have other overhead to worry about and often struggle to make a decent living.

BUT, maybe "removable" tattoos will mean that more people will be likely to get tattoos and so new ink technology will pay for itself by way of increased work coming in the door. I think this is truly a viable solution.

Any chemists out there want to go into business with me?:cool:

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Cfr200 said:
coreyc said:

Laser removal hurts and can leave scars. If you have greens or reds they are harder to remove and can cause scarring. I had one removed while I was in the military because the Air Force base near where I was stationed did it for free. Well I had 12 treatments over a year and 95% of my tattoo is gone. The part that had red in it scarred. It is not that easy to just get rid of these things, I know some of the new inks allow easier removal,but just know it hurts far worse getting one removed than putting it on and takes a lot longer.
Yay I know it hurts I have had over twenty treatments so far and have not had any scaring very happy with the results if you want one gone it is and option :cool:

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My niece and her husband have really limited what jobs they can get because of the amount of tattoos they have and where they have them, but she keeps getting them. Even as hair dressers they might have a problem in some cities. They live in San Diego.
BTW~ I think you should wait until you are about 24 to get a boob job too. Brains and bodies really are not developed until then.
Some people may be more mature early, but you are still going through big changes.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Skyler Nell said:
IMG_0035.jpg

During :)

183554_10150412116050361_735285360_17158045_8299703_s.jpg

After :)

I don't see anything wrong with getting a tattoo before you're 25. I'm only 18 but to each their own :) btw this is what I got done last night! Just wanted to share

One thing I notice about this pic, is that there is no need for him to be draped over your body. He should be sitting on the side he is tattooing on. Funny!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Good call Erin ;) Unless that is your boyfriend that's is very unprofessional

steve426

5 Year Member
This is my most recent tattoo. I apologize for the crappy pictures, my blackberry doesn't have the best camera.

IMG00140-20110221-2122.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
SnakeyZ Your daughter is adorable, but that little snake is really creepy. I have a phobia of people holding little snakes.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks! But don't say that too loud - she know's it.

She was helping me divide them up into their individual containers. (Sorry to Hijack thread)

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
LOVE all the pics!! Great tattoos :)
I'm still waiting for my tattoo artist to respond to my last email about designing the tat. I was hoping to have it by now!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
coreyc said:

You guys are funny. Take a second to think where he would have to be leaning his arm if he was tattooing from the other side...

I couldn't have asked for a better experience! He was nice, funny, and kept everything professional and super clean and sanitized!

I would refer him to all my friends :)

Angi said:
Skyler~ My reason for waiting until someone is 25 is because people change so much between 18 and 25. A human brain is not completly developed until 25. I doubt you will regret your cute little tatt. In fact if you are getting one on your stomach it is probably a good thing to get it while you are young and have a cute little tummy to show off. I never would have believed that someday my stomach would not be completly flat. But then I turned 40. Grrrr.....

Jenilyn ~ I love the one on your back!

Thanks Angi! I agree people do a lot of growing up between 18 and 25 :) I put a lot of thought into it. The tattoo itself is extremely significant to me and I put it in a place that would not ruin any future plans or job opportunities. I am not in any way relating this to you, but people are often so quick to judge. (Again, NOT you :) ) And I've noticed it a lot lately, especially on forums. People are extremely quick to speak their minds with no regards to the feelings of others. They make snap judgments without knowing anything about a person or the situation they're in. It's quite sad, I think a lot of this behavior is what drive great members away from our site :(
and just one more time for clarification...not you Angi :p haha

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Skyler Nell said:
coreyc said:

You guys are funny. Take a second to think where he would have to be leaning his arm if he was tattooing from the other side...

I couldn't have asked for a better experience! He was nice, funny, and kept everything professional and super clean and sanitized!

Angi said:
Skyler~ My reason for waiting until someone is 25 is because people change so much between 18 and 25. A human brain is not completly developed until 25. I doubt you will regret your cute little tatt. In fact if you are getting one on your stomach it is probably a good thing to get it while you are young and have a cute little tummy to show off. I never would have believed that someday my stomach would not be completly flat. But then I turned 40. Grrrr.....

Thanks Angi! I agree people do a lot of growing up between 18 and 25 :) I put a lot of thought into it. The tattoo itself is extremely significant to me and I put it in a place that would not ruin any future plans or job opportunities. I am not in any way relating this to you, but people are often so quick to judge. (Again, NOT you :) ) And I've noticed it a lot lately, especially on forums. People are extremely quick to speak their minds with no regards to the feelings of others. They make snap judgments without knowing anything about a person or the situation they're in. It's quite sad, I think a lot of this behavior is what drive great members away from our site :(

I spent many hours on a table getting my stomach inked my artist never laid on me like that I still say unprofessional

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
coreyc said:
Skyler Nell said:
coreyc said:

Angi said:

I spent many hours on a table getting my stomach inked my artist never laid on me like that I still say unprofessional

I think all artists are different in terms of how they tattoo. There are artists that are very hand-heavy so they have to lean over for stability rather then just writing on a piece of paper. Especially if he wanted to get a different angle on the tat. Shading could be another reason...lighting another.

My artist flips me and himself all kinds of ways to get the tattoo the way he wants. I don't really care as long as its done RIGHT!

If someone feels uncomfortable they should def. say something though!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Skyler Nell said:

Wait, are you talking about Angi??

;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ChiKat said:
Skyler Nell said:

Wait, are you talking about Angi??

;)

LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.