tank set up for RES appropriate?

JacquesPierre

Hello all,
My name is Jamie and my new friend is Jacques. He is a male, on the smaller side. He is 5 or 6 years old. I will be getting him on Sunday, my sister can no longer take care of him. I have never owned one before so please excuse my "dumb" questions. I was just wondering if this set up is appropriate for him. I did some research, but it would be nice to hear some opinions: it's a 55gal tank with a whisper 60 power filter, aqueon 200w submersible heater, I have an air stone on the opposite side of the filter, planning on putting in some larger stones for the bottom. I don't have any lights yet, he has a heat lamp and uv light thing in his current tank(25gal) at my sister's, not sure if they will be large or powerful enough since I upgraded his tank to a 55. Any input is much appreciated. Here's a picture of the tank set up. I thought it would be aa good idea to set it up a couple days before he gets here so I can work out any kinks. Thanks! IMAG0219.jpgIMAG0219.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Depends on your basking spot. You don't want him to climb out of the tank altogether.

With a turtle, you want a filter rated for a lot more water than the tank holds.

JacquesPierre

Depends on your basking spot. You don't want him to climb out of the tank altogether.

With a turtle, you want a filter rated for a lot more water than the tank holds.
Would the filter be ok for the time being, until I can get something better if I am really good about keeping the tank clean and feed him in a separate tank?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Deep water is great!
I had a turtle climb out, using his dock to push himself over. I put covers on my aquarium.
You can also decrease the water level, a little.

JacquesPierre

That's crazy. I had no idea how good at climbing they could be. Definitely will be getting a screen for the top!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Would the filter be ok for the time being, until I can get something better if I am really good about keeping the tank clean and feed him in a separate tank?
Give it a try and see how it goes. Feeding in another tub helps, especially if you wait for him to eliminate in the tub.

Those over the side filters won't work if the water level is too low, so that's another thing to watch out for.

A screen top will need to be fastened down or weighted or else your turtle will just lift it.

You'll figure it out as you go.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That looks great! :D RES ARE messy, though, so yes, big filter=cleaner water. What type of bulbs will you be using?

JacquesPierre

That looks great! :D RES ARE messy, though, so yes, big filter=cleaner water. What type of bulbs will you be using?
Not sure about the bulbs. I'm picking him up tomorrow. He has a light and heat lamp already set up with his 29gal tank. However I got him a 55gal to move into. Not sure if tank size affects type of lightning. I'll let you know about the bulbs tomorrow. Thanks!

JacquesPierre

Here is his new set-up! He seems really happy. The lights I have are Exo Terra Sun Glo, and then I also have the Sun Glo black light. Both are 60w. Will that be enough do you think?

Attachments

• IMAG0234.jpg
    IMAG0234.jpg
    942.7 KB · Views: 27

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What's the point of the black light?

Gravel on the bottom is a dirt and gunk catcher. It looks so nice, but it contributes to a dirty tank. You'll have to vacuum it regularly. The water should be clear, so add more filtration. You can get used filters cheaply at aquarium stores, too.

JacquesPierre

What's the point of the black light?

Gravel on the bottom is a dirt and gunk catcher. It looks so nice, but it contributes to a dirty tank. You'll have to vacuum it regularly. The water should be clear, so add more filtration. You can get used filters cheaply at aquarium stores, too.

I wasn't sure about the black light either. It came with him. I thought I read something saying it provides UVA rays, but I could be wrong. If it serves no purpose than I will gladly get rid of it. As far as filtration goes, I'm getting him a Fluval this week. I was told those are excellent filters.

JacquesPierre

It says "night glo" on the black light. Not sure if there's a difference? Does it provide heat at night while the basking light is off? Or is this night glo light basically useless?

chazd1984

You should look for something called a "turtle topper" its a basking area that just sits on top of the tank. I don't really care for the floating docks, when the turtle gets a bit heavier it never gets the chance to get completely dry on those. I actually built a wooden turtle topper instead of buying one.

JacquesPierre

You should look for something called a "turtle topper" its a basking area that just sits on top of the tank. I don't really care for the floating docks, when the turtle gets a bit heavier it never gets the chance to get completely dry on those. I actually built a wooden turtle topper instead of buying one.

Ya I noticed that yesterday when he was resting on it. Not very stable at all. Thanks! I'll look into a turtle topper.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I had this thing form Dr. Fosters and Smith, it's the only thing that could support 9 pound turtles...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8809
I have gravel with my painted turtles , but I have to vacuum it. Look into a Python Siphon. Best. Thing Ever.
Does he have a UVB? I'm pretty sure Sun Glo bulbs are just heat.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Quality product, and really the only thing I used that actually held up big, heavy turtles :D

JacquesPierre

I had this thing form Dr. Fosters and Smith, it's the only thing that could support 9 pound turtles...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8809
I have gravel with my painted turtles , but I have to vacuum it. Look into a Python Siphon. Best. Thing Ever.
Does he have a UVB? I'm pretty sure Sun Glo bulbs are just heat.

Nice. We are going to be upgrading his tank again soon to a100gal. He makes the 55 look small haha. Looked into the lights and they were no good. They didn't provide any UVA or UVB rays. I picked up a new basking light that provides UVA and also a light that provides the UVB. Needless to say he has been basking in all its glory. He is definitely loving it. For his floating turtle dock I installed some legs to it so it stays out of the water and supports his weight now. It's a quick fix until we get his 100gal ready to go.