Tank likes to climb on his pansy’s ?

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
They'll climb over anything.

I'm concerned, however, he might fall head-first into the water and get trapped (even upside-down).

Flat water containers with a bit of texture on the surface are safer. Things like the saucers for terra cotta plant pots. Then it can be squished down into the substrate so a tort can walk straight to the water, and get safely back out.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
They'll climb over anything.

I'm concerned, however, he might fall head-first into the water and get trapped (even upside-down).

Flat water containers with a bit of texture on the surface are safer. Things like the saucers for terra cotta plant pots. Then it can be squished down into the substrate so a tort can walk straight to the water, and get safely back out.
I constantly watch him.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You seem very attentive and caring!

It's a matter of what is most natural and comfortable for the pet. In the wild, a tortoise would look for a watering hole or slow-moving stream where they can approach from a flat spot. Their shells lock them into a rigid shape, and falls are very dangerous.

There are many thread on this forum alone about drownings or near-drownings. Water breathed into the lungs is a very serious condition...only a small amount is needed to cause pneumonia or death.

That your wee one is exploring this way near a water dish is concerning.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You seem very attentive and caring!

It's a matter of what is most natural and comfortable for the pet. In the wild, a tortoise would look for a watering hole or slow-moving stream where they can approach from a flat spot. Their shells lock them into a rigid shape, and falls are very dangerous.

There are many thread on this forum alone about drownings or near-drownings. Water breathed into the lungs is a very serious condition...only a small amount is needed to cause pneumonia or death.

That your wee one is exploring this way near a water dish is concerning.
What do you recommend then for a water bowl?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
What do you recommend then for a water bowl?

The clay saucers made to go under potted plants are actually ideal.

They are affordable, have a low lip, a textured non-slip surface, and they come in lots of sizes as a pet grows.

These types of 'dishes' can be squished down into the substrate a bit to make them climb-free, and they are easy to wash (dishwasher safe, as well). They make nifty feeding plates also.

Thad

Belguim
My friends star tortoise drowned this way so its very important to take this in mind!

You could buy some pebbles and put them in the bowl ( after a good wash!!). you will notice he will walk over the pebbles etcetra but when he's thirsty he will just move some until his head fits. if he rolls over on them no problem as the water is in between the pebbles. make sure not to get giant ones! Get smaller ones he can easily move if he wants. I got Mine from a fish store, and even dropped them in a pile as a decoration/workout mini hill.

We came up with it to protect my torts from drowning after My friend's died.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
My friends star tortoise drowned this way so its very important to take this in mind!

You could buy some pebbles and put them in the bowl ( after a good wash!!). you will notice he will walk over the pebbles etcetra but when he's thirsty he will just move some until his head fits. if he rolls over on them no problem as the water is in between the pebbles. make sure not to get giant ones! Get smaller ones he can easily move if he wants. I got Mine from a fish store, and even dropped them in a pile as a decoration/workout mini hill.

We came up with it to protect my torts from drowning after My friend's died.
How did the turtle drown?

Thad

Belguim
How did the turtle drown?
Wish we knew... my friend came home from work and he was upside down in the water bowl. Similar to the one you are using BUT it was dug in the substrate. We assume he went in the bowl and flipped while getting out. There where scratch marks on the bowl so we know he tried to get right side up and then just got tired.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Wish we knew... my friend came home from work and he was upside down in the water bowl. Similar to the one you are using BUT it was dug in the substrate. We assume he went in the bowl and flipped while getting out. There where scratch marks on the bowl so we know he tried to get right side up and then just got tired.
Aww that’s a shame :-( I’m sorry Star