Tank died

lichjen

5 Year Member
I am in the hospital but my husband called this morning to tell me tank died. Yesterday he was fine! Active, eating, drinking, when we took him out he was going as fast as he could.

My husband found him in the food dish. We only had him. Month :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Omg, I'm so sorry for you. What a way to hear bad news. I send you my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Sorry...so sorry about Tank:'(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, geez! That's terrible news. I came home from a short stay in the hospital last summer to find one of my 45lb Manouria on her back, dead. So I know how you feel. Sad, sad news. I'm so very sorry.

lichjen

5 Year Member
I wish I knew what happened. He and gypsy were sharing a tank (they cuddled together) my husband has taken her out, dumped the substrate, bleached the bowls, hide and cage. She is getting free time as all is drying out. I want to make sure whatever killed him wont get her. The next reptile convention is in Feb. I will buy her a new friend then.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was so saddened to see the topic of this thread, but a sudden death is so much worse I think, plus gosh happening while you are in the hospital.:( :( First off, I hope you are doing better and out of the hospital. Second, if this animal was active and healthy the day before, then no doubt whatever was wrong had nothing to do with your care, so try to stop feeling guilty about it. Tortoises just like humans do sometimes have sudden deaths and unlike with humans it's much harder for us to learn the cause. I am just sorry you had to be one who experienced this. *hug*

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
lichjen said:
I wish I knew what happened. He and gypsy were sharing a tank (they cuddled together) my husband has taken her out, dumped the substrate, bleached the bowls, hide and cage. She is getting free time as all is drying out. I want to make sure whatever killed him wont get her. The next reptile convention is in Feb. I will buy her a new friend then.

Hi, I'm concerning about bleaching the blows part. Bleach is very strong. Do you think that could affect your little one?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Tank died

lichjen said:

When you do decide to get a new friend, make sure you quarantine the new friend! In case the new guy has a disease or is sick, you don't want to sicken your current tort.

Sorry for your loss :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am so very sorry. Wow. These are the saddest posts to read. And Yvonne, your loss last year, I am so sorry for that, too. What a horrible thing to happen to you both. Sadness.

Because we want to learn on this forum, please understand my writing this here and forgive me if I am overstepping my bounds. I believe it was the bleach. Bleach is terribly toxic. I have family in Germany and they tell me that bleach is not allowed where they live, like we have it here, in any store. They consider it too dangerous for people to use. The fumes affect the liver like that quick. In the future, please consider white vinegar to clean. I share this with you only for learning from this experience.

I hope you get better from that hospital stay. Poor thing, of all things while you are there, away. And I am so very sorry that Tank passed on. Always, not easy. : (

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Evy said:
lichjen said:

Hi, I'm concerning about bleaching the blows part. Bleach is very strong. Do you think that could affect your little one?

Bleach may not be the best thing to use. I'm sorry about your Tank.

lichjen

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I am not sure how he cleaned the cage after the death but if he did use bleach I know it was a concentrate and there would be nothing left when he put Gypsy back in

I know about quarinteene (sp) I have a snake in one now. As well as two Beardies

Maverick

5 Year Member

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I am so very sorry. Wow. These are the saddest posts to read. And Yvonne, your loss last year, I am so sorry for that, too. What a horrible thing to happen to you both. Sadness.

Because we want to learn on this forum, please understand my writing this here and forgive me if I am overstepping my bounds. I believe it was the bleach. Bleach is terribly toxic. I have family in Germany and they tell me that bleach is not allowed where they live, like we have it here, in any store. They consider it too dangerous for people to use. The fumes affect the liver like that quick. In the future, please consider white vinegar to clean. I share this with you only for learning from this experience.

I hope you get better from that hospital stay. Poor thing, of all things while you are there, away. And I am so very sorry that Tank passed on. Always, not easy. : (

Unless I read the post wrong, she said her husband cleaned the tank and things after they found the tortoise. Which is exactly what I would have done, kill anything (bug, germ or whatever) that could have harmed the tortoise. When properly handled beach is fine to use.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Sorry for your loss. Get well wishes to you.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
so sorry for your loss. no matter how that happens it always hurts

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Wait a minute ,first you said tank died ,then it sounded like tank was killed,did I miss some thing?....if I may,BEE BEE ,you seem spiritual ,it is my observation that our very loved pets will on occasion take our bad , sickness , sadness ,disease,karma and remove it , take it away by offering themselves to the ethers ........ On the subject of bleach ,the molecule is so unstable that it dissipates very quickly leaving only an oxygen molecule ,unless the bleach was still (wet) the torts should have been fine . If it was the bleach ,the other tort would be affected. ....still very sorry for the loss of life . Getting another so soon.? What kind? Yellow foot?

Forgot to mention Yvonne's experience ,she was sick - turtle died -Yvonne was healed.bet in all the years Yvonne prolly lost few if any turtles ...thoughts?(now you all know I'm crazy,a good crazy thou),...much love peps.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You make an interesting observation edwardbo, some believe that to be very true, that an animal will take the fall on your journey in order for you to continue your journey. So odd that the baby was fine and then boom, bye, just like that. I do not recall Tank's age but if it was a hatchling, it could also be the failure syndrome that they sometimes die from. The passing during your hospital stay is kinda wow. Hope you are healing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Maverick said:
Unless I read the post wrong, she said her husband cleaned the tank and things after they found the tortoise. Which is exactly what I would have done, kill anything (bug, germ or whatever) that could have harmed the tortoise. When properly handled beach is fine to use.

This is how I read it and I myself use bleach for tortoise enclosure cleanings. After using the diluted bleach, the main thing is to rinse well with water, then once you can't smell it any more rinse a lot more and then rinse even more. One reason I like doing this outside with the full force and amount of water I can get from the hose.

lichjen

5 Year Member
Tank was my sons tort. I want to heal the hole in his heart as soon as possible. Yes he was a hatchling as is Gypsy. 3-4 months. Tank was 35 grams when he passed. Gypsy is almost 60. (she is a month older). I weigh biweekly but now for her Iam going to do weekly to make sure she is not sick