Tallulah and pyramiding over 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Hey Everyone,

Here is the story of Tallulah and my grandmother. In 2003, my husband and I were driving in South Florida over a newly tarred road in July at 2 pm in the afternoon when we saw a rather large tortoise running across the hot road. Of course we stopped to make sure it made it across. When we stopped, we noticed it was a redfoot tortoise that was very pyramided.

We posted flyers and did the whole found tort thing with no response. We took her to the vet who promptly chided us on letting the tort get so pyramided. We explained that we found her and she looked like that! He gave her all the meds to clean out all the parasites. We had her for about three years, when my grandmother started asking about getting a tortoise. We had cherryheads and Tallulah. It was a no brainer, my grandmother got Tallulah.

Tallulah is like a dog and follows you around for the sake of following. My grandmother had the perfect patio, part concrete and part plants. She fell in love with Tallulah. She became known as the crazy tortoise lady in her gated community because she started walking Tallulah every day. When Tallulah would knock on the sliding glass door, she was allowed free rein in the house. Luckily she made no messes. Everyone in the family came to terms with the fact that Tallulah was the favorite!

Sadly, my grandmother passed away recently and we have Tallulah back. Again she is surrounded by cherries. I came across some old pics of her when we first found her. I took some new ones today. It is interesting to see the way the new growth grew straight.

Allegra

When we first found her:

Picture300.jpg

Picture301.jpg

Tallulah now (and a pic of my JRT so you can see her size). Don't mind the remnants of paint on her shell, it was non-toxic acrylic paint. My grandmother lost Tallulah one time, luckily a neighbor found her. From that day on, Tallulah got a bumper with the phone number painted on her shell:

P1010001-2.jpg

P1010003-2.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Here is a picture of my grandmother and Tallulah:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=11907957&l=f08599116c&id=645945651

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Wow. Amazing how resilient these poor critters are. I hope to see nice smooth new growth in my Redfoots.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so sorry you lost your Gramma.....but you really shouldn't post a picture of the puppy and the tort and say here's my Gramma and Talluluh. Your Gramma looks just like a Jack Russell...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Sorry about the confusion! :) Once we found Tallulah she was put on a proper diet and was hosed down daily. Added with the natural S.FL. humidity, she grew the best she could. She is now happy and healthy despite having the shell deformities. Maybe I'm an optimist, there can always be a happy ending.

allegraf said:
Sorry about the confusion! :) Once we found Tallulah she was put on a proper diet and was hosed down daily. Added with the natural S.FL. humidity, she grew the best she could. She is now happy and healthy despite having the shell deformities. Maybe I'm an optimist, there can always be a happy ending.
BTW my grandmother hatched some of tallulah's eggs and raised hatchlings that she gave to "approved" homes in her neighborhood. Tallulah got a mini boyfriend that we did not expect to be able to breed with her. Go figure, it was love.

BTW my grandmother hatched some of tallulah's eggs and raised hatchlings that she gave to "approved" homes in her neighborhood. Tallulah got a mini boyfriend that we did not expect to be able to breed with her. Go figure, it was love.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the most I've ever seen pyramiding change. Amazing.

I want your dog. I call dibs if you ever have to get rid of him/her. Here's a pic of my little girl Emma. She's my night time foot warmer and daytime rabbit and squirrel chase awayer:
2ext0t3.jpg

Deepest condolences on your Grandmother.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a great story! Thanks for sharing. I love the pictures too- especially the last one of Tallulah and your puppy! Cute pup :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Interesting that I see so many Redfoots with MBD (as well as pyramiding) but yet Redfoots do not require a lot of UV light, as has been proven by several keepers... It has to be the diet. Not enough meats (D3) or too much phosphorus, something just isn't right...

One of my new kids had MBD at some point, but the other two are simply pyramided... They all came from the same person and were kept in the same conditions (the person I adopted them from was NOT the one who allowed them to end up in poor condition, just want that to be clear, they would not be alive today if it wasn't for him.) I wonder if some torts also are more genetically prone to it, like osteoporosis in humans?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Thanks all for the compliments on Boscoe and the condolences. He was only in the picture to see how big Tallulah is now. He was not amused that I wanted to take his picture. JRT's rock!

I was pretty amazed evertime I would visit to see how good Tallulah's shell was growing. Her shell will never be perfect, but at least the new growth came in healthy and she is no longer flat. more like bumpy round. It was neat to see the old pictures to see how seven years of better living affected her shell.

Allegra

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
The picture of your grandmother and Tallulah is too cute!

She does look great, how cool to see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.