Taking on sad, previously-owned Russian tortoise

unlikelyrussian

Location (City and/or State)
mid-Alantic US
Hello all,
I am new here. I have just taken on a Russian tortoise that was owned for over a decade by someone I know.
It's clear to me after reading 15 minutes on this forum that the tortoise has been inadequately cared for.
His housing is far too small and has no hide-away. There's no UVB light. No thermometer. No food came with him, so no Mazuri feed. There was calcium supplements however.
I just made an appointment with an exotics vet and I hope he doesn't have any serious health problems.
I am no tortoise expert (understatement of the century) but to me he looks listless and like its an effort to move around, although he eats and has defecated.
I will set about trying to improve his situation.
Has anyone taken in a tortoise like this and seen improvements over time with better diet and environment?
Thank you for all the info on this site.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
First of all thank you for helping this tortoise! Please post pictures of the tort and the enclosure to help you out until you can get other proper supplies. @Tom @Yvonne G hopefully an expert will help you. Please post the pictures.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's wonderful that you are trying to help this little Russian. I'm sure with the help you'll get here you'll get him up to speed. Since he's eating and stuff even though changes will be needed they are a pretty hardy little tortoise. Yours just moved to a new home and it's the time of year when they are sluggish so the fact that he's doing anything is probably a good sign. I have a little Russian so take heart and have fun and best wishes to you and your new Russian. Welcome and welcome to what's his name ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I took in a leopard that was kept in a very small enclosure and not fed properly. He was undersized for his age and couldn't lift himself to walk, he scooted.
With proper care he caught up in his size and walks faster then any of my other torts.
Proper care can do wonders.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome. I’m sure that lots of TLC coupled with a good mixed diet, soaking, hydration, proper substrate, lighting & a nice large enclosure your new friend will thrive and do well in your care. One day at a time, one step at a time.

Happy Torting

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Welcome to the forum! Be assured...you have come to the very best place to learn proper husbandry for your new little best friend. The members on TFO have pulled many torts back from the brink of death. If there is no underlying disease process; If all his problems stem from poor care and diet, you have every reason to believe he will get mostly well, and maybe 100%!

In case you haven't found our care sheets, here's the one for Russians. It's just a little more up-to-date than the one Jamie linked for you. Keep in mind that the care sheets are mostly directed toward keepers with hatchlings, but have good info on adults as well.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, welcome and thanks for giving this tort a better life.
With a good diet, the right conditions and a lot of TLC he should do much better.

unlikelyrussian

mid-Alantic US
Thank you all very much for this encouragement.
He was given to me in a 18 inch by 32 inch plastic tub, like a 50 gallon storage container, where he has lived for years. Half of its floor was covered with sand.
I immediately ditched the sand and threw in the rest of the substrate that was provided to me.
I'll make sure he eats the proper foods from the list and gets hydrated and soaked.
Hopefully the vet will say he's OK this week and will trim his beak and nails.
My spouse who is handy will build a tortoise table along the lines of what I've seen here with a humid hide and a place to hang long UVB bulb etc. and the proper orchid bark, etc.
Is there anything else I should be doing for him immediately?
To me it looks like he has a *lot* of loose skin but I don't know if that is normal for a tortoise. I'm not sure the past owners fed him every day.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 17

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe try Mazuri (not the LS type). I used to give it to my new to me tortoise for him to gain some weight. I personally would just soak a few a day and put it on his greens. When he got to a good weight, it tapered off. No he gets 2 or 3 nuggets a week, as a treat. The vet will hopefully tell you if he is under weight ECT..

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you all very much for this encouragement.
He was given to me in a 18 inch by 32 inch plastic tub, like a 50 gallon storage container, where he has lived for years. Half of its floor was covered with sand.
I immediately ditched the sand and threw in the rest of the substrate that was provided to me.
I'll make sure he eats the proper foods from the list and gets hydrated and soaked.
Hopefully the vet will say he's OK this week and will trim his beak and nails.
My spouse who is handy will build a tortoise table along the lines of what I've seen here with a humid hide and a place to hang long UVB bulb etc. and the proper orchid bark, etc.
Is there anything else I should be doing for him immediately?
To me it looks like he has a *lot* of loose skin but I don't know if that is normal for a tortoise. I'm not sure the past owners fed him every day.
Glad that you have given the tortoise a better home. Good luck with it.

The beak is seriously overgrown and should be trimmed to to the proper shape and size to enable the tortoise to eat more easily. This should most likely be done by an exotics vet with experience for the best outcome.