Taking on a new BIG tortoise

MrMarg&me

Location (City and/or State)
Temecula California
What a fun story! Have any local papers told your story? People love reading about unique animal caretaker relationships. A four hour walk around the neighborhood would definitely be a meditative experience. He is a very handsome tort.

Bee62

Germany
View attachment 229028
Buddy is incredibly friendly. I live in a gated neighborhood and everyone comes by to visit him.
I have surveillance cameras and enjoy checking on him when I’m at work.
I take him for walks on weekends, weather permitting. It takes him 4 hours to go around the block, yard to yard.... he pigs out !
Thank you for that picture too. Buddy is adorable ! So it is true what it is said about Aldabras that they are very friendly and like to be touched. You walk him like a dog ( only much slower ) ? LOL !
I can imagine that everyone loves Buddy.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Great photos! I always love hearing about Buddy, such a beautiful Aldabbra. I can't quite believe that he is so "exposed" to the public. Really awesome that he is safe in your neighborhood. I would imagine that your neighbors keep an eye out for his safety as well. Being in a gated neighborhood must help. I would LOVE to be able to do this where I live. Unfortunately, living in a fairly dense part the city, my fence has to be totally opaque and secure and tall! We regularly have junk collectors driving down the alley who will take whatever is not bolted down, not bothering to ask if we still want it! They'll walk right into the yard! Unfortunately that's the tradeoff to be near things I want to be near. I have yet to leave Uncle Bri in the yard when I am away at work for the day. Hopefully that'll happen this summer when once i get a few more security measures in place.

I would like to ask about your rubber mats that you have out in the yard - I've got a couple that look to be the same and i find that once they poop on them and then grind that poop in the holes in the mat, that they are a pain in the butt to clean. the stuff dries and you'll spend 30 minutes with a hose on one mat. Your's look pretty clean! not sure how you do it, and I doubt you cleaned up special for the photo!

Continued best of luck with Buddy - he's a lucky guy!

Cheers,
Ben

Bee62

Germany
Great photos! I always love hearing about Buddy, such a beautiful Aldabbra. I can't quite believe that he is so "exposed" to the public. Really awesome that he is safe in your neighborhood. I would imagine that your neighbors keep an eye out for his safety as well. Being in a gated neighborhood must help. I would LOVE to be able to do this where I live. Unfortunately, living in a fairly dense part the city, my fence has to be totally opaque and secure and tall! We regularly have junk collectors driving down the alley who will take whatever is not bolted down, not bothering to ask if we still want it! They'll walk right into the yard! Unfortunately that's the tradeoff to be near things I want to be near. I have yet to leave Uncle Bri in the yard when I am away at work for the day. Hopefully that'll happen this summer when once i get a few more security measures in place.

I would like to ask about your rubber mats that you have out in the yard - I've got a couple that look to be the same and i find that once they poop on them and then grind that poop in the holes in the mat, that they are a pain in the butt to clean. the stuff dries and you'll spend 30 minutes with a hose on one mat. Your's look pretty clean! not sure how you do it, and I doubt you cleaned up special for the photo!

Continued best of luck with Buddy - he's a lucky guy!

Cheers,
Ben
Hi Ben, you need a big, loud and angry barking dog to protect your tortoise !:)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Great to see a Buddy update. A unique tortoise with a unique history.
I use a pig pad too. But with CupCake , she has a much smaller hide so the pad alone provides enough heat. It was 42f when I got up this morning & her hide was 76f.

We are having a cold ( for us ) winter. The pad has been good.

Great Buddy is the hit of the neighborhood. :)