Taking 2 year Hermann's out for walks

[email protected].

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff
Hi all,

I've had Mr T for a year now and we seem to get along very well. She's really well looked after (don't mind the name, she got the name before we realised she was female and my nephew loves it so it's not changing) but due she's an indoor tort due to her being so tiny. Also she's a 2 year old Hermann if that means anything.

Anyway the city I live in has some fantastic outdoor areas like rocky beaches, clean parks etc so I like taking her out for walks once or twice a week. I was just wondering is that an ok thing to do?

I can't really keep my eyes off her because she's so cute so I don't fear her going missing, and she loves running around on the beach or the parks nearby. They're fairly quiet as well so she doesn't get distracted by other people/animals. She always then naps on my lap on the way home.

Can you guys let me know if that's healthy for her? I'd hate to think that the walks are unhealthy seeing as she seems to enjoy it so much. I obviously make sure she doesn't eat anything she's not supposed to (no matter how much she tries) and she gets a little soak and meal afterwards.

Thank you all

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No, how do you know she's enjoying it? For years I took my mature over 100 lb Sulcata out among the people thinking he liked it, but then a few things were pointed out to me like, possibly he's more stressed out than enjoying it. I pretty much disagree with that, but maybe only because it would just really hurt ME to think that those years when Bob went out in public he was not enjoying it, but was being stressed out by it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Part of the problem as well with “walkies” is that you can’t inspect the path well traveled. All kinds of good & bad things in parks, walkways & beaches. Throw in cigarette butts, chewing gum, caustic things....etc and you are setting urself up for a disaster (well, really your tort).

Ppl always think these walks are good, but really they are in the end a recipe for a disaster.

best ti create a good clean safe environment at home for your torty. Let it enjoy those spaces.

KronksMom

Illinois
They really are designed to blend in, tortoises are prey animals after all. So you would be amazed at how quickly they can disappear if you take your eyes off for just one moment. What my husband and I did, is we got Kronk a leash. We bought one supposedly made for small tortoises, but it didn't fit. The best thing for him, has been putting 2 rubber-bands around him and attaching a lightweight dog leash with a little key chain to connect (the clips on the end of the dog leash were too heavy, I didn't like that hitting against his carapace). Now, we take him for walks in our neighborhood when the weather is suitable and I don't need to be quite AS paranoid about watching him like a hawk. You're definitely right about what she eats though. I only ever take Kronk to places that I know don't use pesticides, because I don't want to need to worry about that. One little nibble probably wouldn't do much harm, but it just isn't worth the risk. A way to tell if pesticides are being used, if you can't just ask the property owner, is to look at the plants and see if bugs are eating them. If there are holes nibbled in them, then the bugs know they're safe to eat. But you still need to make sure she's only eating safe foods. You know, dandelions, clover, wild violets, mallow, etc.

And even with all of that considered, we only ever take Kronk to the same place each time. It's an empty lot across from our apartment, where there aren't any people and he (hopefully) doesn't feel too exposed. He gets to get some fresh air and real UV as opposed to just his light, and stretch his little legs, but it's the same every time. Over time I hope that he has gotten used to it and, while I can't give him his own outdoor enclosure, I hope that he has come to see that at least a little bit, as "his space".

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We mostly all take our tortoises out to an outdoor enclosure that they learn to navigate and be secure and comfortable in.

I don't see any difference in doing this like KronksMom does. Kronk learns the route and the space where she takes him, and in short order he feels comfortable there.

Would I do this? Probably not, for one reason. I'm just terrible at ID'ing plants. I wouldn't know what was safe. I also don't trust myself to get down to his level (3 in) fast enough to prevent swallowing whatever piece of trash he picked up.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi all,

I've had Mr T for a year now and we seem to get along very well. She's really well looked after (don't mind the name, she got the name before we realised she was female and my nephew loves it so it's not changing) but due she's an indoor tort due to her being so tiny. Also she's a 2 year old Hermann if that means anything.

Anyway the city I live in has some fantastic outdoor areas like rocky beaches, clean parks etc so I like taking her out for walks once or twice a week. I was just wondering is that an ok thing to do?

I can't really keep my eyes off her because she's so cute so I don't fear her going missing, and she loves running around on the beach or the parks nearby. They're fairly quiet as well so she doesn't get distracted by other people/animals. She always then naps on my lap on the way home.

Can you guys let me know if that's healthy for her? I'd hate to think that the walks are unhealthy seeing as she seems to enjoy it so much. I obviously make sure she doesn't eat anything she's not supposed to (no matter how much she tries) and she gets a little soak and meal afterwards.

Thank you all

Walks? No. Harmful even.

Trips outside to a safe outdoor area that is well protected, escape proof, has close proximity access to multiple shaded areas and water dishes provided the tortoise is supervised at all times? Yes.