Take a look at the new enclosure

DublinTortyMama

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin
Hey Torty parents,

Just wanted to share the new enclosure I have for my baby Hermanns, my partner and I made it together from scratch from old pallet wood and ‘Mikey’ loves it!!

It includes:
-Cave
-Wooden arch
- Water bowl
- Stones
-dried dandelions
- Bark
- Substrate Soil
- fake trees
- heat matt (we live in ireland)
-heat lamp
-Thermometres

Any further tips or additions or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks Team Torty xx

Attachments

• BCB160F4-6B42-4D38-9EB9-1DCD59714F3F.jpeg
    BCB160F4-6B42-4D38-9EB9-1DCD59714F3F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 264FE7A2-4F0A-4C22-BA60-6974F37B7D25.jpeg
    264FE7A2-4F0A-4C22-BA60-6974F37B7D25.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great but sadly needs improving. Get rid of the sand, it causes impaction.
Also should be a closed chamber with 50-80% humidity. Your little one is already showing pyramiding. Make a saw horse type thing to fit over the enclosure and hand plastic over it. Then you can also hand lights too from it.

DublinTortyMama

Dublin
Looks great but sadly needs improving. Get rid of the sand, it causes impaction.
Also should be a closed chamber with 50-80% humidity. Your little one is already showing pyramiding. Make a saw horse type thing to fit over the enclosure and hand plastic over it. Then you can also hand lights too from it.
Thanks so much for this great feedback, for context the enclosure is in a tiny room (it almost fills the whole room) and its very humid in there and on a good day shows 70% and bad day 50%. He has also only just moved here and spent the last two years in a very humid vivarium enclosure where he would dig in moist burrows so I dont know why he is pyrimiding already ?
Im defo going to look into ways to make it more humid still and add more bark etc
To cover up the substrate ??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks so much for this great feedback, for context the enclosure is in a tiny room (it almost fills the whole room) and its very humid in there and on a good day shows 70% and bad day 50%. He has also only just moved here and spent the last two years in a very humid vivarium enclosure where he would dig in moist burrows so I dont know why he is pyrimiding already ?
Im defo going to look into ways to make it more humid still and add more bark etc
To cover up the substrate ??
Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? Thry cause pyramiding even in the highest of humidity.
Be sure to check the actual enclosure for humidity. What the room says will be different then what is actually tort level and under heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a side view pic of your tort. It may be the angle of the pic posted that makes him look pyramided.