Tails

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
I just took a look at Shelly's butt. I think I have a male. O well I can't strike gold 3 times. I will be happy with 2 females :)

kaitiejane

Getting involved late I know but now I'm curious! So male tortoise usually walk with their tail tucked in and females usually walk with theirs down?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Getting involved late I know but now I'm curious! So male tortoise usually walk with their tail tucked in and females usually walk with theirs down?
That seems to be my observation so far...

kaitiejane

Interesting! I have a Greek hatchling and he/she always walks with the tail tucked and it occasionally wags from side to side. Other than that it's just tucked all the time!

W Shaw

Okay, new project for everyone. Start watching those tortoise butts and keep record of what the tail does. Then when the sex is determined, let us know:p :D
LMAO, I just got a vision, of a bunch of tort owners anxiously sitting and watching their torts butts:D

Ronan (male) normally has his tail tucked. He has to move out of the way to defecate, and keeps it out of the way briefly, then tucks it again. But he tends to sit when he eliminates, so even then it's rare for me to see his tail. If not for his bath, I'd forget that he has a tail at all, but when he poops in the bath, I give him a little wipe before I set him in the clean water. He gets very annoyed because he's trying to tuck his tail and I'm getting a towel in his way.

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
Tortie's tail is always tucked to the side. I hardly ever see it. Funny because I've always had a feeling he/she was a he. Guess we'll see in the years to come.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452238376.555737.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes I did . I'll have to go back and reread this . Because if I'm not mistaken Dozer kept his tail up . So I still maybe on to something . Be back in a few .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Went back and reread the start . Dozer would walk with the tail down most of the time . So this is a failure . Two years to be a failure . So sad so so sad ! ( walks off sobbing kicking rocks with head down )